Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 17:10   #1

Boat: 1983 Lancer 44' Motorsailer
How much lithium?

I'm seriously considering switching to lithium for my house bank and have several questions. My boat is a demasted motor sailer so, technically she is now a power boat, but I'm posting here because IMHO sailors know more about these systems.

Our current system is 1000 amps of 9 12v (+ an isolated "oh s**t" starter battery) FLA batteries charged by 1000w of solar panels controlled by 3 Victron 100/30s plus a 400w turbine with its own controller. We also sometimes use a honda 2200 to charge the bank via a 3000w inverter/charger. The boat has 2 engines with factory internally regulated alternators.

Our current regular power usage is @ 320 amps/day plus intermittent usage like water pump, shower drain, propane solenoid, coffee maker.

1. How many amps of lithium do I need to replace the house bank?

2. I understand that I will need to keep 2 FLAs to start the engines so should I run the windlass off the FLAs or the house bank?

3. Can/should I charge both the start batteries and the bank with the alternators when cruising?

All info will be greately appreciated.
Old Today, 18:27   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: How much lithium?

It comes down to money. Some will say you need half the amp-hr capacity you have now. But I say get what you can install. So if you have 9 lead acid batteries now that sound they are G31 I would say get 9 drop-in 100ah G31 batteries.

But there is a problem because last I looked the manufacturers say you could only parallel 4. So in that case get 4 of the 200ah batteries and see if they fit. Or ask the manufacturers if putting 9 is really an issue (I bet it isn't except for a balancing issue that is mostly meaningless)
Old Today, 18:53   #3

Re: How much lithium?

Why are you asking others? How have the 1000 Ahs of batteries worked so far and how low do you run them before recharging? If you really only need 320+/- Ahs per day than the 1000 Ahs (or 500 usable Ahrs) was probably great, right? Assuming you will cycle your new LFP at 80%, start will 500/.8 or 600 Ah. That is probably the most you’ll get from your solar panel on a good day as well. If you want to reduce risk more in cloudy or wintery days, you should go up from there.

But consider a smaller number of larger batteries. I’d say 2 300 Ah batteries or 2 460 Ah if you want overkill. Too many smaller batteries is just a pain to keep balanced. And two separate house batteries gives all the redundancy you’ll need.
Pandor is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
lithium

« Epoch 300AH | - »