Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2022, 15:20   #31
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: How to not blow up your alternator when charging lithium batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by randydandy View Post
Good to know. I've got a Balmar MC-614 regulator and figuring out how to program that thing is another one of my hurdles. I understand the Wakespeed uses an app and bluetooth?
The newer 614s have a LFP setting. But if you go to their site there is a guide to doing the older ones by using the programming features.
Old 20-12-2022, 16:48   #32

Boat: Merritt Walters steel cutter

I used thermal epoxy to attach an open on-rise-switch to the alternator case. The switch, in parallel with a resistor, is wired in series with the field. When the alt gets too hot the switch opens and the resistor limits field current.
wguinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2022, 20:11   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bavaria Match35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguinon View Post
I used thermal epoxy to attach an open on-rise-switch to the alternator case. The switch, in parallel with a resistor, is wired in series with the field. When the alt gets too hot the switch opens and the resistor limits field current.
My alternator works similarly. I was wondering about the capacity of the alternator and the values ​​of the resistors you used. Adjustable resistors are also available. By using them it may be possible to limit the rotor excitation current.

Normally this is the regulator that controls the current. It increases the rotor excitation current when the alternator speed is low. I have observed with the measurements I have made that the current decreases as the alternator speed increases. Since I am using the alternator's own regulator, I was afraid to disrupt the operation of the regulator by using a resistor and I did not make similar attempts.
SOLAR SUPPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2022, 03:44   #34
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Using a surge arrestor (Alternator Protection Device) as the main mechanism to protect the alternator during a HVC, is like using a fire extinguisher to turn off the stove.

These devices are last resort options, you must turn off the alternator before the HVC occurs.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, batteries, charging