Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2023, 17:35   #1

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
LFP Drop In --always another way to skin the cat

LFP Drop In --always another way to skin the cat ?????

https://www.sunbeamsystem.com/smart-...-term-testing/

"SMART LITHIUM Plug & Play batteries are designed to work with existing equipment – in other words, the often mentioned need to replace existing alternators to work with the immense charging capabilities of Lithium batteries is now a thing from the past to be forgotten about."

"The reason for the SUNBEAMsystem batteries working so well with any alternators on any engine is that the SMART LITHIUM Plug & Play is made to simulate a lead-acid battery in relation to any connected charging equipment."

Sounds too good to be true. How would this be possible? They also accept paralleling different chemistries.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 17:47   #2

Re: LFP Drop In --always another way to skin the cat

https://www.sunbeamsystem.com/knowledge-db/

"I like the fact that I will be able to quick charge my new batteries but could my alternator overheat?

The answer is No! There circulate rumors about this on the internet. There even exists movies made by manufacturers making protective equipment for alternators. That aside your batteries cannot take the blame for any alternator breakdown. An alternator is prone to wear and tear and has a limited life span compared to other parts of your engine."
Old 03-08-2023, 19:41   #3

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
https://www.sunbeamsystem.com/knowledge-db/

"I like the fact that I will be able to quick charge my new batteries but could my alternator overheat?

The answer is No! There circulate rumors about this on the internet. There even exists movies made by manufacturers making protective equipment for alternators. That aside your batteries cannot take the blame for any alternator breakdown. An alternator is prone to wear and tear and has a limited life span compared to other parts of your engine."
Tell that to the brand new large frame alt that died after several hours running full tits trying to charge a large AGM bank
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 01:11   #4

Boat: Nordship 808

Quote:

"SMART LITHIUM Plug & Play batteries are designed to work with existing equipment – in other words, the often mentioned need to replace existing alternators to work with the immense charging capabilities of Lithium batteries is now a thing from the past to be forgotten about."

"The reason for the SUNBEAMsystem batteries working so well with any alternators on any engine is that the SMART LITHIUM Plug & Play is made to simulate a lead-acid battery in relation to any connected charging equipment."

Sounds too good to be true. How would this be possible? They also accept paralleling different chemistries.
I don't see why not, they must have added electronics in the box to limit current, and cut off charging slowly when full.

But at what cost? I don't see prices on their web-site and a Victron DC-DC charger is not expensive, so there is that.
SaylorMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 04:42   #5

They do not offer many details about what, if anything, that they have for electronics or protection during alternator charging. I would like to know why they think it is acceptable and I wonder if they are compliant with ABYC. To simply assert something without explaining it properly is suspect.
Old 04-08-2023, 06:31   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
[B]

well this was already/always was true and I am sure that just reprogramming a regulator is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less cost than some new magic in a battery mystery
Old 04-08-2023, 06:44   #7

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:

If they emulate the behavior of an AGM or similar, aren't you going to loose one of the biggest benefits of LiFePO4, which is the very linear charging profile?
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2023, 01:09   #8

Quote:
[...]"The reason for the SUNBEAMsystem batteries working so well with any alternators on any engine is that the SMART LITHIUM Plug & Play is made to simulate a lead-acid battery in relation to any connected charging equipment."

Easy. On their website they state that the alternator must take care of itself. I.e. don't overheat, don't burn out, don't deliver a voltage peak etc.

In regards to simulating an LA battery, I assume that that also holds true for their batteries' lifetime?
lmxr is offline   Reply With Quote