Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2021, 17:51   #31

Boat: New Horizons 25'
Re: LFP not charging with solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Did you "activate" the Daly by touching the B- to the negative terminal with the P- connected?
I'm honestly not sure. P- connected to the house loads, then touch B- to the negative terminal? Or did you mean something else? I assume you mean the load carrying wires (that's how they are labeled) and not the individual cell monitoring wires?
ForeverDes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 05:02   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flod View Post
The BMS itself can’t stop the charging. It controls a relay or the charger to stop the incoming current.
What makes you think the latest Daly Smart BMS can't stop the charging? mine does. Sterling fit Daly Smart BMSs to their LFP batteries which can shut down if needed.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LFP.png
Views:	55
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	239591  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 14:30   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
What makes you think the latest Daly Smart BMS can't stop the charging? mine does. Sterling fit Daly Smart BMSs to their LFP batteries which can shut down if needed.

Pete

My bad. I thought he had the rec or 123Bms. These don’t have a built in relay but controls external relays or chargers.
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 16:51   #34

Boat: Nautitech 44.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverDes View Post
I don't know what to look for in a bms.
You definitely need to make some research and get familiar with features and functionality of different BMS, so that you can make the choice that fits your need and your purse. A few BMS have been mentioned, you may also want to look at the TAO BMS... I let you discover and make your own evaluation. But in any case, on the web site there are some articles that could help you understand lithium batteries and BMS.

For full disclosure: I have designed the tao bms but I do not promote it blindly it as it may not be suitable for all applications - depending on specific needs. I am happy if I can help anyone get more knowledgeable about lithium technology (LiFePo4), understand the implications and define their requirements... after that they buy what they think is best... but they do it knowing why.
Philtao is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, solar