Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2024, 06:50   #16

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: Li Time vs Battle Born

Almost all Li batteries reviewed and rated by Will Prowse on YouTube.
I bought SOK 208ah 12 volt marine batteries,4 of them, as house bank on my 1980 Bristol 45.5 ketchup.
Set up is two parallel strings to an 1,2,all switch in case of any failure in a string.
Season three on these batteries in the Bahamas just ended
and my generator run time was about 10 hours in four months. Mostly related to new Starlink.
Cheers.
Thebaysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2024, 10:51   #17

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

You can now buy LiTime batteries with low temperature charging cutoff for just a few dollars more.
At 280 ahr, compared to LiTime, the SunFun kit is a bit more expensive with only a 150 amp BMS vs 200.

Both of these batteries are way cheaper than buying 560 ahr of AGM.

Having shorted out my 200 ahr LifePo4 bank more than once with a 130 amp BMS and a locked starter on the genset, I can tell you what happens. The BMS turns off, and if you wait a minute, it turns back on again.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2024, 12:07   #18

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
You can now buy LiTime batteries with low temperature charging cutoff for just a few dollars more.
At 280 ahr, compared to LiTime, the SunFun kit is a bit more expensive with only a 150 amp BMS vs 200.

Both of these batteries are way cheaper than buying 560 ahr of AGM.

Having shorted out my 200 ahr LifePo4 bank more than once with a 130 amp BMS and a locked starter on the genset, I can tell you what happens. The BMS turns off, and if you wait a minute, it turns back on again.
You can upgrade the BMS with sunandfunkits or even order without and get your own BMS.
Major difference every BMS of the kits have communication and BT app, LI-TIME not.
And i would trust a well known BMS that i can choose much more then an unknown without communication in a LI-TIME.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2024, 01:53   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Rod at MHT has a lot of experience and this is his short list.
https://marinehowto.com/our-favorite-lifepo4-batteries/ ...
See also, Rod’s latest [excellent] video post:
“Happy 15th Birthday to my LiFePo4 Battery Bank”
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3898211

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2024, 14:31   #20

Boat: Island Packet 29

You can have 3 LiTime batteries totally fail for less than the price of a single Battle Born. And BB does not sell large amp hour batteries so you have to daisy chain a bunch of 100ah together, their 24 volt selection is poor and no 48v options, which is odd considering their main target seems to be RVers and off grid people.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2024, 15:51   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
You can have 3 LiTime batteries totally fail for less than the price of a single Battle Born. And BB does not sell large amp hour batteries so you have to daisy chain a bunch of 100ah together, their 24 volt selection is poor and no 48v options, which is odd considering their main target seems to be RVers and off grid people.
BB issue is they cannot scale anymore as the EV crises made the prismatic cells very cheap while the 18650 cells they use only fell a bit and are nearly they on same level. Also not much new development there as EVs moved to prismatic cells. Compared to old design priamatic cells the 18650 had more power delivery and were more stable while now the new prismatic cells live longer have more power delivery and are stabler so BB lost their advantage.

48V in series with that many cells in parallel you need a very good and complex BMS with a big active balancer so these BB batteries would stay in balance.
That costs a lot money and space plus is simply the wrong setup as storage batteries, they would've been not able to offer that for a price people pay.
So yes BB is doomed and need to change strategy and construction of their batteries to be competitive.
Old 02-06-2024, 06:55   #22
KTP

The newish Li time group 24 version (not the ultra tiny one with pouch cells) does have bluetooth and low temp charge protection.

I bought four of them and they all seem to be working fine. There are other brands with similar features, all with a suspiciously similar case, but Will Prowse did tear apart this particular Li-time to examine the construction and BMS and deemed it pretty solid. The BMS also was silk screened with Li-time's name which makes one think that if all of these are manufactured in the same plant, Li time has a big hand in it. I think it might just be that the Chinese are really good at copying each other.

For no great reason, I do think the Epoch marine LFP are a bit better quality, but they command a 25% to 40% higher price.
KTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 11:36   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTP View Post
The newish Li time group 24 version (not the ultra tiny one with pouch cells) does have bluetooth and low temp charge protection.

I bought four of them and they all seem to be working fine. There are other brands with similar features, all with a suspiciously similar case, but Will Prowse did tear apart this particular Li-time to examine the construction and BMS and deemed it pretty solid. The BMS also was silk screened with Li-time's name which makes one think that if all of these are manufactured in the same plant, Li time has a big hand in it. I think it might just be that the Chinese are really good at copying each other.

For no great reason, I do think the Epoch marine LFP are a bit better quality, but they command a 25% to 40% higher price.
BT means you have access to the cell voltages via app? Thats new then...
Buy 100BMS at Daly and you get it custom branded, by 500BMS and you get "custom" software, buy 1000 and you can modify and spec parts to your liking or get a complete custom one.
So Li-time gets the BMS to their liking because i am sure they order more then 1000...
They use all the same standard casing actually made for lead to comply with existing mounting in eg RVs, cars and boats.