Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 24-03-2019, 19:03   #6256

Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread for Those Using Them as House Banks

Delphin,

I was only planning on posting the video and a summary of its contents in the quest for a better understanding of something many of us are interested in. When you attempted to pull a fast one, I felt compelled to find the truth. It is in my nature since the bulk of the work I do in my profession is research. With a healthy dose of curiosity. But now I understand your position and dependence on the product.
mat jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 20:01   #6257

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat jam View Post
I posted the EXACT same question on that forum as I did on this forum. I received help on this forum and anarchy on the other forum which likely explains why this forum is more popular. Again you have not been forthright in your desire to belittle me because you are unable to qualify your position. So rather than provide the data you resort to attacks which explains why people no longer trust comments or product reviews.

You waffle by first attempting to say they are different chemistries, then to admitting the video is correct, then again to, no they are different. You are acting like a child in the playground and prone to group mentality. When someone kicks someone you jump right in and start kicking right along. You have shown your true colors. I am sure you are are nice guy.
If possible can we get back to the topic please? If we wanted a slanging match we would turn on reality TV.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 20:06   #6258

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Xopa View Post
If possible can we get back to the topic please? If we wanted a slanging match we would turn on reality TV.
Good advice, thank you.
Old 24-03-2019, 20:16   #6259
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Xopa View Post
here's my attempt
I just got done with an ev guys video where he has been keeping specific records over the last several years on a set of Winston cells and has come up with a number for degradation of the cells capacity . With 3 years of full cycle and capacity tests have according to him shown a capacity loss of 15mAh per cycle for his 90ah cells.
https://youtu.be/N7scKCQlfYs
Old 24-03-2019, 20:33   #6260

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
here's my attempt
I just got done with an ev guys video where he has been keeping specific records over the last several years on a set of Winston cells and has come up with a number for degradation of the cells capacity . With 3 years of full cycle and capacity tests have according to him shown a capacity loss of 15mAh per cycle for his 90ah cells.
I'll repeat the question on this thread, as it will have wider interest here, so does that seem like a lot to you? Haven't watched the video yet...
Old 24-03-2019, 20:39   #6261
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
I'll repeat the question on this thread, as it will have wider interest here, so does that seem like a lot to you? Haven't watched the video yet...
Here is my reply from the other thread

no its not that much. The math says 1.5ah per 1,000 cycles per 100ah capacity.
( approximately) just remember that was with the cells used in an ev
So high C rates both ways
Old 25-03-2019, 01:13   #6262
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

OK
We have removed some posts. They were rude and arrogant and dismissive.

The easiest way to get along with folk is to NOT RESPOND to any commentary you find offensive, childish or inflammatory. The second a post is made in a derogatory manner, it is there for all to see and will be moderated accordingly and infractions added if required.

But then, you know this.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 07:03   #6263
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Jehu is a fantastic DIYer resource, especially for assembing packs from those little cylindricals.

But yes, his use case is high-C-rate propulsion, and he generally uses vendor charge profiles in line with that usage.

Thus getting only a few thousand cycles would be considered a very long lifetime, whereas here as House bank usage, that's just past getting broken in if cared for properly.

In that context the mAh loss per cycle should be immeasurably low.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 07:21   #6264

Quote:
Here is my reply from the other thread

no its not that much. The math says 1.5ah per 1,000 cycles per 100ah capacity.
( approximately) just remember that was with the cells used in an ev
So high C rates both ways
Ah, I thought you had written 15 milliampere, not 1.5. 1.5 makes more sense, and as you say, isn't much at all/1,000 cycles. In a marine application, one would think it would be a fraction of that.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 07:32   #6265
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Ah, I thought you had written 15 milliampere, not 1.5. 1.5 makes more sense, and as you say, isn't much at all/1,000 cycles. In a marine application, one would think it would be a fraction of that.
with the way we use them and the actual ah that a new bank tests out with ( mine showed 108ah ) stop to stop it will take a while just to degrade down to the manufacturer spec of full capacity for the battery.

I wouldn't be surprised if in house usage and not traction usages the loss rate would be to small to measure .
Last test Maine sail posted about in August last year over a thousand cycles and 0 measurable loss of capacity.
Old 25-03-2019, 07:57   #6266
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
with the way we use them and the actual ah that a new bank tests out with ( mine showed 108ah ) stop to stop it will take a while just to degrade down to the manufacturer spec of full capacity for the battery.
And AH capacity can **increase** after breaking in period, compared to fresh from the factory.

That is why best practice is to establish a good initial baseline benchmark for 100% SoC, using the exact same equipment and protocols you will use for future years (hopefully decades).
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 14:16   #6267

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Thank you weavis. I actually learn as much from the people that are learning and asking questions as from the gurus. And the biggest problem with rude people is it stops other people from commenting because they don't want to be attacked.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 15:30   #6268

Quote:
here's my attempt
Interesting video. His figure of 15 mAh per cycle comes, I believe, from the manufacturers spec sheet, and that would be 15 amps per 1,000 cycles, and that is a fair amount. He supplies a whole lot of numbers in the video, so it is hard to keep track, but on reflection, his usage pattern in an EV doesn't look much like a marine application. He mentions he has run the cells down to less than 1 volt 10 times or so, but routinely takes them down to 2.7 volts per cell. Additionally he says he is discharging at a pretty fast rate.

I got pretty much the full capacity out of my 600 Ah bank and stopped at just over 3 volts per cell, and for most people, if you recharge after drawing out 75% of capacity rather than 100%, you aren't likely to go much below 3.125 volts per cell. Point is, while I think we can learn from EV, usage of LFP house banks on boats is going to be significantly different and give much different life than one might experience in a car. Lithionics publishes a graph of their own data that shows that if you discharge their packs to no more than 50%, they project 5,800 cycles at a 1C charge and discharge rate, which is 3 times the charge rate and 10 times the continuous discharge rate what I will ever use. I doubt most people could use the battery that much before some other reason for getting rid of the boat presented itself.
Old 25-03-2019, 15:59   #6269

Yes, I think Jehu's charge pattern yielding ~1300 cycles to 80% SOH is pretty believable. That certainly comports with the longer lifecycles other folks are estimating (or experiencing in real life).

I'm actually surprised his ten deep discharges didn't do more (and more immediate) damage.
nebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 16:13   #6270

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
That's a better one than I had found. As part of the rules, we must be curtious, eith each other. We don't necessarily have to all agree.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, grass, lifepo4, LiFePO4 Batteries, sailing