Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 18-05-2022, 14:40   #7531
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread for Those Using Them as House Banks

Ok here is a serious question as I am new to MPPT finally doing some programing via Bluetooth
Now my controller can be programmed for just about everything I set it to charge up to 14.0v just like my pwm but now I can also program when it starts charging again on the down slope . Set to 13.5v now but any issues with potentially taking it lower say down to 13.0v or even 12. Something to take advantage of my full bank size and a bit deeper cycling ?
250ah and I use about 25 to 30 ah a day 200 watts solar.
Old 18-05-2022, 21:49   #7532

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Ok here is a serious question as I am new to MPPT finally doing some programing via Bluetooth

Now my controller can be programmed for just about everything I set it to charge up to 14.0v just like my pwm but now I can also program when it starts charging again on the down slope . Set to 13.5v now but any issues with potentially taking it lower say down to 13.0v or even 12. Something to take advantage of my full bank size and a bit deeper cycling ?

250ah and I use about 25 to 30 ah a day 200 watts solar.

It’s not very good to use voltage to control charging as the resting voltage curve is so flat between the knees (~ 10-90%). SOC is better to use - do you have a BMS that has an accurate SOC calculation?

But if you want to use voltage, 11.8-12.0V is reasonable for restarting solar charging, if you’re comfortable dropping the SOC to <20%. Are your solar conditions consistent enough to go that low? Otherwise, consider 13.0V to be closer to 50% SOC. Depending on your usage, there are going to be times when your consumption is higher than your solar charging.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2022, 07:39   #7533
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
It’s not very good to use voltage to control charging as the resting voltage curve is so flat between the knees (~ 10-90%). SOC is better to use - do you have a BMS that has an accurate SOC calculation?

But if you want to use voltage, 11.8-12.0V is reasonable for restarting solar charging, if you’re comfortable dropping the SOC to <20%. Are your solar conditions consistent enough to go that low? Otherwise, consider 13.0V to be closer to 50% SOC. Depending on your usage, there are going to be times when your consumption is higher than your solar charging.
No not 12 volts but 12 something. Like 12.8 or even as low as 12.5

No the Daly does not have that capability hence my shunt and monitor gauge.

My consumption is rarely higher than production except when weather is so bad that I get no solar charging . Hence I'm adding a wind generator for those times.
But you have answered a question and it seems 13.0 is a legitimate possibility for charging .
Old 31-05-2022, 10:33   #7534

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

https://youtu.be/6vTaCkTVl7I

if I can find it I'll post the video where he discusses why you want the charge and float to be the same. But it's basically the fact that the voltage doesn't drop unless you have high loads so under light loads you can discharge your battery quite significantly before the voltage drops enough for your solar to start charging again. I have experience with this personally because I currently have 280 amp hour battery Bank, I have a peak of about 25 amps solar and will consistently get in the lower 20s in the middle of the day on an average sunny day. My BMS has Bluetooth so I can see exactly what's happening and I can also make adjustments. I'm using an old school mppt controller set to 14.2 volts and it works fine except for two problems even though 14.2 is the industry standard I think it's too high Although because it does not have a external voltage meter the actual battery voltage is only 14 to 14.1 I would rather have it stop at 13:8. my battery has always been fully charged when it hits that voltage or at least 98% so no reason to go higher. But the real problem is it absorbs for 2 hours and then goes to float at 13.2 worst case scenario is when the battery is fully charged right at the end of the day and over the night I discharged my battery about 40%, but it never drops below the 13.2 so the next day my battery doesn't receive charge from the panels unless I use a high load which drops the voltage enough for it to go back into bulk. I could use the settings on the BMS to prevent these two problems but I don't want the BMS disconnecting my charge controller from the batteries when 'high' amperage is coming in from the panels. And it's really not that much of an inconvenience, I usually make tea or coffee in the morning anyway using electricity.
Edit : I didn't watch the video first, I pulled it out of my library and I thought this was a two-parter but obviously this is the video where he explains what I just explained.
I know there are a lot of people that can't download videos so I hope this helps.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 10:51   #7535
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
https://youtu.be/6vTaCkTVl7I

if I can find it I'll post the video where he discusses why you want the charge and float to be the same. But it's basically the fact that the voltage doesn't drop unless you have high loads so under light loads you can discharge your battery quite significantly before the voltage drops enough for your solar to start charging again. I have experience with this personally because I currently have 280 amp hour battery Bank, I have a peak of about 25 amps solar and will consistently get in the lower 20s in the middle of the day on an average sunny day. My BMS has Bluetooth so I can see exactly what's happening and I can also make adjustments. I'm using an old school mppt controller set to 14.2 volts and it works fine except for two problems even though 14.2 is the industry standard I think it's too high Although because it does not have a external voltage meter the actual battery voltage is only 14 to 14.1 I would rather have it stop at 13:8. my battery has always been fully charged when it hits that voltage or at least 98% so no reason to go higher. But the real problem is it absorbs for 2 hours and then goes to float at 13.2 worst case scenario is when the battery is fully charged right at the end of the day and over the night I discharged my battery about 40%, but it never drops below the 13.2 so the next day my battery doesn't receive charge from the panels unless I use a high load which drops the voltage enough for it to go back into bulk. I could use the settings on the BMS to prevent these two problems but I don't want the BMS disconnecting my charge controller from the batteries when 'high' amperage is coming in from the panels. And it's really not that much of an inconvenience, I usually make tea or coffee in the morning anyway using electricity.
I can adjust my epever tracer. MPPT. In almost every aspect. If iirc my absorb is set to 10 min. At 14.2. And no float. Restart charging currently at 13.2v not on the boat atm
Old 31-05-2022, 10:59   #7536
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

System I just set up for a customer. 400 AH Calb cells.

All charging sources - MPPT, DC to DC, and shore power charger set at 13.8 volts. All Victron. No float or set to a low 13.2 volts, minimal absorption if any. You only give up a few AH keeping the top at 13.8.

BMS set at 14 volts (3.5 per cell). When the first cell hits 14 volts all charging is stopped. Should never happen.

BMS shuts off loads at 2.8 volts per cell - 11.2 for the bank.

Expect it to be a trouble free battery bank for years.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 11:52   #7537
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
System I just set up for a customer. 400 AH Calb cells.

All charging sources - MPPT, DC to DC, and shore power charger set at 13.8 volts. All Victron. No float or set to a low 13.2 volts, minimal absorption if any. You only give up a few AH keeping the top at 13.8.

BMS set at 14 volts (3.5 per cell). When the first cell hits 14 volts all charging is stopped. Should never happen.

BMS shuts off loads at 2.8 volts per cell - 11.2 for the bank.

Expect it to be a trouble free battery bank for years.
Sounds like a good set for a customer .
We all know as the DIY guys we tend to push things a bit but we also monitor things quite a bit more than the average boater we do this work for .
Old 31-05-2022, 16:43   #7538

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

13.5V for float. 13.2V is way too low.
Old 31-05-2022, 17:59   #7539
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
13.5V for float. 13.2V is way too low.
My preference is no float at all. 13.2 gives me what I want - no current going in.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 00:38   #7540

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
My preference is no float at all. 13.2 gives me what I want - no current going in.

Same, no need for float.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:39   #7541

Did you watch the video? There is no such thing as float with lifepo. the charger just goes to whatever voltage you set and holds it there, no ions flowing. Unfortunately my charger float settings cannot be adjusted and the problem with that is my battery can go below 40% probably even 50% before the controller will turn back on. The worst case scenario is if it's gone into float at the end of the day the next morning I'm 40 to 50% down but the voltage is still above 13.2 so all day long all the solar panels do is keep up with my demands so the next night I use another 40 to 50%........ But like I said the easy workaround is to just put a high load on it momentarily to drop the voltage so that it will go back into bulk. But if I leave the boat unattended my batteries are going to needlessly deep cycle.
Old 01-06-2022, 08:58   #7542
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Did you watch the video? There is no such thing as float with lifepo. the charger just goes to whatever voltage you set and holds it there, no ions flowing. Unfortunately my charger float settings cannot be adjusted and the problem with that is my battery can go below 40% probably even 50% before the controller will turn back on. The worst case scenario is if it's gone into float at the end of the day the next morning I'm 40 to 50% down but the voltage is still above 13.2 so all day long all the solar panels do is keep up with my demands so the next night I use another 40 to 50%........ But like I said the easy workaround is to just put a high load on it momentarily to drop the voltage so that it will go back into bulk. But if I leave the boat unattended my batteries are going to needlessly deep cycle.
My refrigerator kicks on and voltage goes from resting of 13.8 right down to 13.2 and solar kicks in and that's when I'm only down 20% on my lfp bank. I don't need to do anything it's all automatic
Old 01-06-2022, 09:02   #7543
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Watch the video again listen to the first statements . It says the charger he is using is for lead based chemistry. Not lfp.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:03   #7544

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Watch the video again listen to the first statements . It says the charger he is using is for lead based chemistry. Not lfp.
It's only called lead-based because you can't adjust the float and can only lower the bulk to 14.2. It's what I have and that's why it can be a problem with lithium. But I was thinking of getting another refrigerator and not an engle this time. But I'm pretty sure the voltage has to go below 13.2 for a period of time for my controller to kick back into bulk. I'm not advising anyone to do anything just telling you my experience of why having a float voltage lower than the bulk voltage is bad ( exactly what the video was about). if I had a fully adjustable controller I would set it 13.8 bulk 13.8 float. My experience is it hits the bulk voltage and then 0 amps go in. the solar panels only put juice into the loads zero goes into the battery. I have Bluetooth on my BMS so I can see exactly what is happening sometimes a little bit of amps will go from the battery into a load and then the solar panels will put a couple amps back into the battery but but for the most part it's 0% amperage flow.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:06   #7545
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It's only called lead-based because you can't adjust the float and can only lower the bulk to 14.2. It's what I have and that's why it can be a problem with lithium. But I was thinking of getting another refrigerator and not an engle this time. But I'm pretty sure the voltage has to go below 13.2 for a period of time for my controller to kick back into bulk. I'm not advising anyone to do anything just telling you my experience of why having a float voltage lower than the bulk voltage is bad ( exactly what the video was about). if I had a fully adjustable controller I would set it 13.8 bulk 13.8 float.
Don't know your controller but my tracer is lfp fully programmable and to kick it on to charge only takes a few seconds below set voltage.

Tags
battery, grass, lifepo4, LiFePO4 Batteries, sailing