Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 02-07-2022, 05:21   #7696
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread for Those Using Them as House Banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by badadim View Post
I hope this helps
Yes it does help and reads real close to the fla battery basic report and most of it applies to all battery chemistries.
Old 02-07-2022, 07:52   #7697
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
I hope this helps

It’s very aspirational , other then a requirement for alerts from the bms , largely says very little other then making no allowance for LFP technology

Really ABYC should have supported LFP only chemistry for boats.
Old 02-07-2022, 08:20   #7698
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
It’s very aspirational , other then a requirement for alerts from the bms , largely says very little other then making no allowance for LFP technology

Really ABYC should have supported LFP only chemistry for boats.
It disappoints even me and really, my expectations were low

Written as a political compromise among their industry’s masters

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 09:08   #7699
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

@S/V Jedi #7699
Quote:
You know better then to make this demeaning comment because I have explained the process to you in laborious detail. TE-13 will be issued as E-13 later this month. All of the "shoulds" become "shalls".

As I told you very professionally and respectfully some time ago, the Standards are created by volunteers from all areas of the recreational marine industry including: the USCG, UL, boatbuilders, classification societies, equipment manufacturers, technicians, etc. The ABYC works hard to ensure that there is a good mix of each of the market segments so no one segment can dominate.

Further any interested party is invited to join in the process and submit comments during the review of the Standard. These comments carry just as much weight as comments submitted by committee members and each comment is reviewed and adjudicated.

I explained all this to you several months ago and invited you to join in with your considerable professional expertise. Your response was along the line of "I don't give my advice away for free so somebody else can make money off it..." which I found odd based on your 13k posts on this very forum. I tried once more to explain that the ABYC is a non-profit organization and any money made is plowed right back into its work. At that point I realized that you would not be swayed and I shut up.

That all said; you have no idea how difficult it was to generate TE-13 and try and keep it balanced so that this technology can continue to develop.

As Theodore Roosevelt said: "It is not the critic that counts..."
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 09:10   #7700

Boat: Ericson 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

It’s pretty clear they haven’t really differentiated between the different Lithium chemistries. What advice is given is pretty common sense. The only thing that I’m not really doing is the advance notice of disconnect. But then, nothing on my Lithium house bank is safety critical. Engine runs off the lead acid starting battery
hjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 09:26   #7701

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:

I couldn't agree more. <ranting deleted>
Old 02-07-2022, 09:39   #7702

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
I hope this helps
Looks like it would take one person one day to write it!
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 09:50   #7703

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In case your BMS does not have the advance disconnect warning: you can connect another cell monitor, I’m not sure which ones allow to set alarms but bet some do.

This all will only work when you have access to individual cell terminals.

About that ABYC draft document being implemented: They are messed up in their heads. “Should” does not become “shall”, it must become “recommend” and really, at this level they should be ashamed of that document taking that long and at high school level at best, even though it’s just a recommendation.

Old 02-07-2022, 09:52   #7704
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Looks like it would take one person one day to write it!

I agree , the stuff about thermal runaway is Li generic , the recommendations are few and far between and the vast majority is aspirational. Sadly the ISO spec looks like it got written by the same author
Old 02-07-2022, 09:56   #7705

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieJ View Post
@S/V Jedi #7699

You know better then to make this demeaning comment because I have explained the process to you in laborious detail.
No you have not. You have given your opinion again and again. And I fully disagree with it.

So list the industry entities that find their products are disqualified by TE-13. How many of them contributed to this? And how many of their competitors?

The average reader of LiFePO4 threads on CruisersForum knows more about it than what these industry experts write in this document. It’s ridiculous.

Old 02-07-2022, 09:58   #7706
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
In case your BMS does not have the advance disconnect warning: you can connect another cell monitor, I’m not sure which ones allow to set alarms but bet some do.

This all will only work when you have access to individual cell terminals.

About that ABYC draft document being implemented: They are messed up in their heads. “Should” does not become “shall”, it must become “recommend” and really, at this level they should be ashamed of that document taking that long and at high school level at best, even though it’s just a recommendation.
On retrospect most of what is listed looks like cut and paste from several manufacturers and mostly several of the LIPO Rv life forums . On here we all ( I hope ) agree the only chemistry we should use is LiFePo4. Which would make almost half of that document useless .
Old 02-07-2022, 10:00   #7707
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

About the only thing it did say specificly is that the bank needs a BMS. We all know that already .
Don't a fraternal group of entitled useful idiots to tell us what we already know
Old 02-07-2022, 10:14   #7708
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

Curse the darkness. Light a candle. It is up to you.

For me trying to explain in a courteous, professional manner and receive insulting comments in return, not worth the fight. I yield to your technical superiority and arrogance.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:21   #7709

Quote:
@S/V Jedi #7699

You know better then to make this demeaning comment because I have explained the process to you in laborious detail. TE-13 will be issued as E-13 later this month. All of the "shoulds" become "shalls".

As I told you very professionally and respectfully some time ago, the Standards are created by volunteers from all areas of the recreational marine industry including: the USCG, UL, boatbuilders, classification societies, equipment manufacturers, technicians, etc. The ABYC works hard to ensure that there is a good mix of each of the market segments so no one segment can dominate.

Further any interested party is invited to join in the process and submit comments during the review of the Standard. These comments carry just as much weight as comments submitted by committee members and each comment is reviewed and adjudicated.

I explained all this to you several months ago and invited you to join in with your considerable professional expertise. Your response was along the line of "I don't give my advice away for free so somebody else can make money off it..." which I found odd based on your 13k posts on this very forum. I tried once more to explain that the ABYC is a non-profit organization and any money made is plowed right back into its work. At that point I realized that you would not be swayed and I shut up.

That all said; you have no idea how difficult it was to generate TE-13 and try and keep it balanced so that this technology can continue to develop.

Hi Charlie,

I personalty found this publication very helpful, so I agree with you. I just finished a project with a local very talented engineer who introduced me to the world of LFP I largely misunderstood prior to meeting him. He have had a few similar but simpler projects completed before me and was very professional following due diligence making sure I understand what I get into. As one of the steps I sent this publication to him asking to review and comply (mainly for insurance purposes) and he got back to me with a feedback that this was helpful and some of the points were not covered by the design, so he has corrected it.

Now, I am going to read all the posts in this forum discussion to catch up with the community...

Bottom line, for users who are not super technical (like me) it worth using this publication and this webpage https://marinehowto.com/lifepo4-batteries-on-boats/ and go line by line with the designer/installer to make sure everything has been addressed. Fun never stops!

At same time, Rod of MarineHowTo - thank you very much for all the articles and knowledge sharing, glad to see your picture recovering! Best wishes!

I invite readers of this post to join me on this here: https://marinehowto.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-07-02 111656.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	260420  
Old 02-07-2022, 12:28   #7710
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
@S/V Jedi #7699

But only if you are a paying member of the club so to speak . pay your money get paper for your wall

Tags
battery, grass, lifepo4, LiFePO4 Batteries, sailing