Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2022, 04:52   #31

Boat: F&C 44' KETCH
Re: LiFePO4 Electric Schematic for Review and Comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Are you looking at using your house bank or a separate battery for the iron wind?
I am would prefer a stand alone battery for the Engine... Anything but Lead Acid... I had hoped for a lithium hybrid that can support constant starter turn overs...

Skipper T
PUDDLE JUMPER II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2022, 05:03   #32

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUDDLE JUMPER II View Post
Would you use a Winston battery for a starter battery? Or would you go AGM? I have a small dog onboard and I am trying to eliminate all lead acid batteries for safety... Hence the ask...

You do know that AGM is lead acid chemistry? What does a dog have to do with it anyway - is it in the habit of chewing your wiring or licking things like batteries?

A battery made from Winston cells wouldn’t be suitable for a starter battery as it would be too complex once you’ve added a BMS and accounted for your alternator. But a decent lithium drop-in could be suitable.

An AGM would likely be cheaper, though that depends on which part of the world you’re in.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2022, 06:51   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
I am would prefer a stand alone battery for the Engine... Anything but Lead Acid... I had hoped for a lithium hybrid that can support constant starter turn overs...
I would myself use a gel cell battery . It is the lead based that has a similar charging profile to LFPs. Agm requires charging voltage significantly higher.
Also gel cells were designed as starting batteries for NASCAR race cars .
What is the reason for decision wrt a small dog that can't open the engine compartment where you likely will have the start battery. BTW LFPs don't like heat .
Old 20-10-2022, 09:26   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
You do know that AGM is lead acid chemistry? What does a dog have to do with it anyway - is it in the habit of chewing your wiring or licking things like batteries?

A battery made from Winston cells wouldn’t be suitable for a starter battery as it would be too complex once you’ve added a BMS and accounted for your alternator. But a decent lithium drop-in could be suitable.

An AGM would likely be cheaper, though that depends on which part of the world you’re in.
Actually-- I did not... So thank you... Learning about all of if this... I had read that AGMs have a lower threat to gassing when charging and remembered the several dog posts where their dear family member was found dead and posted it was because of a standard lead acid battery--- something had gone wrong while several couples had gone ashore for the day...

I am in Jacksonville, Florida USA ATM...

Thank you for the note....

Skipper T
Old 20-10-2022, 09:50   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post

What is the reason for decision wrt a small dog that can't open the engine compartment where you likely will have the start battery. BTW LFPs don't like heat .
Yer a funny man Rob...

So I find it interesting that Battleborn/DragonFly absolutely insist that LFP batts are Heat agnostic... Whereas a few Cruisers posted while n Pamama -- their batts were too warm and stopped the charging process... It was either Delos or their Buddy Boat had this issue...

Dragonfly said it was the charger/inverters that are sensitive to heat and that I was mistaken for thinking it was the Lith batteries...

Why is this important to me? I hired a Master ABCY electrician for my LFP conversion-- and I'd like to be aware of REAL LIFE issues with these batteries and glean from other folks experiences-- to avoid the same simpke mistakes the pros continue to make in HOT Caribbean tropics-- where it has been 100 temps for a good 6 months of the year...

Sorry for the ramble... Just providing some background...

Skipper T
Old 20-10-2022, 10:27   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yer a funny man Rob...

So I find it interesting that Battleborn/DragonFly absolutely insist that LFP batts are Heat agnostic... Whereas a few Cruisers posted while n Pamama -- their batts were too warm and stopped the charging process... It was either Delos or their Buddy Boat had this issue...

Dragonfly said it was the charger/inverters that are sensitive to heat and that I was mistaken for thinking it was the Lith batteries...

Why is this important to me? I hired a Master ABCY electrician for my LFP conversion-- and I'd like to be aware of REAL LIFE issues with these batteries and glean from other folks experiences-- to avoid the same simpke mistakes the pros continue to make in HOT Caribbean tropics-- where it has been 100 temps for a good 6 months of the year...

Sorry for the ramble... Just providing some background...
Well it is a well documented fact lifepo4 lose cycle life when exposed to extreme heat . Such as in an engine compartment.

https://www.mortonsonthemove.com/doe...hium-batteries

Does Heat Affect Lithium Batteries?
Lithium batteries are excellent power suppliers in temperatures below 130°F, but any sustained use in higher temperatures will damage battery life and performance. Most locations, except for the desert southwest in the United States, have temperatures well below that high point
Old 20-10-2022, 12:04   #37

Every battery chemistry suffers lifespan reduction from high heat, LFP is no exception.

That does not mean they cannot be used in tropical conditions, they will just need to be replaced more frequently

not likely to get the decades' lifetime that is possible in cool conditions.

On the upside, charging faster than 0.4C will not be so unhealthy. TI Terry will have lots of experience, Aussie outback is just as if not hotter than the US Southwest
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2022, 12:47   #38

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Actually-- I did not... So thank you... Learning about all of if this... I had read that AGMs have a lower threat to gassing when charging and remembered the several dog posts where their dear family member was found dead and posted it was because of a standard lead acid battery--- something had gone wrong while several couples had gone ashore for the day...

I am in Jacksonville, Florida USA ATM...

Thank you for the note....
I think the chances of that happening are extraordinarily low. Lots of reasons to choose Lithium over Lead-Acid, but I don't think worrying about a dog dying from off-gassing is one of them. If it were, we would be hearing of people dying as well, I think.
Old 20-10-2022, 18:50   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
I think the chances of that happening are extraordinarily low. Lots of reasons to choose Lithium over Lead-Acid, but I don't think worrying about a dog dying from off-gassing is one of them. If it were, we would be hearing of people dying as well, I think.
Roger that... Seemed there were a few in a row and that stuck with me. Again-- hard to quantify the risk since there are not statistics gathered really about this that I am aware of... Just wondered how often this ocurrs-- so shared it here with y'all to see if anyone had some insight... Thanks for the note!

Skipper T
Old 20-10-2022, 18:53   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorn View Post
Every battery chemistry suffers lifespan reduction from high heat, LFP is no exception.

That does not mean they cannot be used in tropical conditions, they will just need to be replaced more frequently

not likely to get the decades' lifetime that is possible in cool conditions.

On the upside, charging faster than 0.4C will not be so unhealthy. TI Terry will have lots of experience, Aussie outback is just as if not hotter than the US Southwest
Good to know! Familiar with temps in Assie outback-- COVID put our plans of returning to OZ on hold... So prepping boat for South Pacific crossing changed into prepping for the Atlantic crossing... We shall see what the risk levels of idiocy are when we actually splash down in 2023...

Skipper T
Old 20-10-2022, 18:55   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Roger that... Seemed there were a few in a row and that stuck with me. Again-- hard to quantify the risk since there are not statistics gathered really about this that I am aware of... Just wondered how often this ocurrs-- so shared it here with y'all to see if anyone had some insight... Thanks for the note!
More likely it was a AA or AAA battery if chewed and swallowed it can cause death from poisioning . a small dog swallowing a AA battery is more likely he died of an intestinal blockage caused by the ingested battery. It does happen .
Old 07-11-2022, 16:44   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Something new on the market this year from Dakota Lithium
https://admiredselection.com/product...xoC8SYQAvD_BwE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DL-60Ah-2022-quarter-handle-up-cement_800x.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	266949  

Tags
electric, lifepo4, men