Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2023, 11:39   #16

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Re: LiFePO4 - How are you controlling your SoC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Because not everyone has a system like yours. It works for you, so stick with it.

I have 8 charge sources and not all of them can be controlled precisely and not all those that can do I trust. Plus, I don’t believe that everyday charging to 100% SOC is suitable for best longevity. I thinks it’s also worthwhile to see what is happening and to control things like charging and discharging based on cell measurements.
Regarding monitoring absolutely agree.
Charging everyday to 100%SOC is a absolute standard in 99.9% of BMS and eg all Victron gear.
And that doesn't harm if you just hit the 100%SOC and then discharge it right away. It equals the cells so less stress in the weakest one. Calender aging has a much higher effect.
What effects lifespan is keeping it at this high voltage/95-100%SOC.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2023, 12:38   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Till your cells bloat because you floated them to death...if you would read Eric Bertschers article then you would know that...
what a load of ***p

I wonder where in you head you get stuff. I charge my batteries per the manufacturers specs.
Old 24-11-2023, 13:15   #18

Quote:
Till your cells bloat because you floated them to death...if you would read Eric Bertschers article then you would know that...

Can you please post a link to that article?
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2023, 13:18   #19

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Regarding monitoring absolutely agree.
Charging everyday to 100%SOC is a absolute standard in 99.9% of BMS and eg all Victron gear.
And that doesn't harm if you just hit the 100%SOC and then discharge it right away. It equals the cells so less stress in the weakest one. Calender aging has a much higher effect.
What effects lifespan is keeping it at this high voltage/95-100%SOC.

Victron has ways to not charge all the time to 100%. SUSTAIN setting is one such method when you have solar or other non-shore power charging.
Old 24-11-2023, 21:23   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bavaria Match35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron E View Post
From what I'm reading controlling charge/discharge voltage may be a better way to avoid LiFePO4 battery degradation than % of charge/discharge (ex: 80/20DoD 70/30DoD, etc).

So long as charging doesn't rise above 3.4v (per cell) or discharging doesn't fall below 3.1v the battery remains healthy and cycles aren't degraded.

If this is true and you are following this idea, how are you achieving this SoC?
For example, how do you keep batteries stored at 95-97% I can see that the Victron smart shunt can prevent batteries from falling below x%

I'm interested in hearing about the plan you're implementing... Smart Shunt? Advanced BMS? Coulomb Counting?
Simple Coloumb Meter.

I passed the main power cable of the service battery bank through the round type current transformer. I also passed the solar energy main power cable through the same current transformer. In this state, the Coloumb Meter to which the current transformer is connected calculates the instantaneous capacity of my batteries quite consistently.

It measures the consumption current passing through the main power cable of the service batteries as a "+" value. It measures the energy sent by solar energy to the batteries as a "-" value. When there is simultaneous energy consumption and production, I instantly monitor the difference in flow. For example, if solar energy produces 30A and consumption is 10A, the Coloumb Meter shows - 20A.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20231125_081715.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	283761  
SOLAR SUPPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2023, 23:05   #21

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
From what I'm reading controlling charge/discharge voltage may be a better way to avoid LiFePO4 battery degradation than % of charge/discharge (ex: 80/20DoD 70/30DoD, etc).

So long as charging doesn't rise above 3.4v (per cell) or discharging doesn't fall below 3.1v the battery remains healthy and cycles aren't degraded.

If this is true and you are following this idea, how are you achieving this SoC?
For example, how do you keep batteries stored at 95-97% I can see that the Victron smart shunt can prevent batteries from falling below x%

I'm interested in hearing about the plan you're implementing... Smart Shunt? Advanced BMS? Coulomb Counting?
You are over worried about nothing. Don't overcharge LFP. That is a voltage setting in your charge device. That's the main thing. You will reduce the life _a_little_ if you charge it to 100% and then leave it there for months at a time. But, normal charging to 100% is fine, because it isn't there for very long, maybe 1% of its life if you are cycling it daily. And discharging to 0% once in a while is fine to. But I expect you will never do that because you want to keep the power on. So that is a non issue.

Whether or not you are using voltage or SOC to determine if the battery is in the 80/20 range is splitting hairs. You don't need to stay in the 80/20 range. Use it, don't baby it like you are used to with lead. Like, is the battery going to last 20 years, or 19 years? Who cares, you are going to replace it by then for something bigger.

The most amazing thing about LFP is being able to forget about your batteries. Despite people here posting about complex systems that let them monitor every detail and stress over the smallest thing, with LFP, you can forget it. Get a victron SOC meter, set an alarm at 10% SOC so you can start a generator or something before the power goes out and you lose the food in your freezer. That is pretty much all you need to worry about if the system is setup correctly.
Old 25-11-2023, 08:00   #22

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
You are over worried about nothing.
I'm not worried - certainly not over worried, I simply asked a question regarding ideas and options regarding SoC and asked how people are accomplishing the build.

While a basic approach works for some, others might feel it's best to build a self-managed system optimal for performance and longevity.

Also yes, there will be times when we leave the country for a month. I would like a system that cycles appropriately.

Quote:
Get a victron SOC meter, set an alarm at 10% SOC so you can start a generator or something before the power goes out and you lose the food in your freezer.
Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, The Victron Monitor and/or smart shunt is def in the works, also like the BMS Rivet suggested.
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2023, 08:01   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLAR SUPPORT View Post
Simple Coloumb Meter.

I passed the main power cable of the service battery bank through the round type current transformer. I also passed the solar energy main power cable through the same current transformer. In this state, the Coloumb Meter to which the current transformer is connected calculates the instantaneous capacity of my batteries quite consistently.

It measures the consumption current passing through the main power cable of the service batteries as a "+" value. It measures the energy sent by solar energy to the batteries as a "-" value. When there is simultaneous energy consumption and production, I instantly monitor the difference in flow. For example, if solar energy produces 30A and consumption is 10A, the Coloumb Meter shows - 20A.
Thanks SP
Old 25-11-2023, 08:06   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
what a load of ***p

I wonder where in you head you get stuff. I charge my batteries per the manufacturers specs.
I read his comment as "Maintaining 100% SOC". That would also be considered Storing at 100%. I don't believe there are huge problems with doing this for several days. Still, there's not an LFP battery manufacturer I'm aware of that would recommend maintaining 100% (or 0%) SoC for an extended period.
Old 25-11-2023, 10:32   #25

Quote:
While a basic approach works for some, others might feel it's best to build a self-managed system optimal for performance and longevity.
There isn't any evidence that a complex system provides any better performance or longevity though. A simple system with a FET BMS, and basic chargers with an LFP profile will provide the exact same performance and longevity as the most complicated systems with a REC BMS or Electrodocus or whatever.

I am away form my boat often right now. I simply changed the full charged voltage (absorption or bulk depending on the charger implementation) to 13.8V (or 13.5V or whatever, as long as it is lower than fully charged) With everything except my freezer turned off, my battery cycles a little bit, and never hits 100%.
Old 25-11-2023, 10:37   #26
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
I read his comment as "Maintaining 100% SOC". That would also be considered Storing at 100%. I don't believe there are huge problems with doing this for several days. Still, there's not an LFP battery manufacturer I'm aware of that would recommend maintaining 100% (or 0%) SoC for an extended period.
He claims they (the manufacturers except the one who makes his batteries of course) just parrot some info from the Internet and no serious testing has been done to prove that.

Except when I post serious testing showing he’s wrong, then he already knows that and 4.7% degradation per 6 months is peanuts

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2023, 10:59   #27
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Except when I post serious testing showing he’s wrong, then he already knows that and 4.7% degradation per 6 months is peanuts
you have such a reading trouble
Old 26-11-2023, 05:24   #28

Or Rod Collins Marine How To site on lithium. A good explanation of why not to float lithium
Wandering1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2023, 15:54   #29

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
There isn't any evidence that a complex system provides any better performance or longevity though. A simple system with a FET BMS, and basic chargers with an LFP profile will provide the exact same performance and longevity as the most complicated systems with a REC BMS or Electrodocus or whatever.

I am away form my boat often right now. I simply changed the full charged voltage (absorption or bulk depending on the charger implementation) to 13.8V (or 13.5V or whatever, as long as it is lower than fully charged) With everything except my freezer turned off, my battery cycles a little bit, and never hits 100%.
Or make it even simpler, pull the main fuse at any SOC below 80% and keep it like this, even unplug BMS. Lifepo4 has no self discharge....
No cycle, no risk of deep discharge,nothing can fail or need to be managed nor monitored.
just flip a switch and bilge pumps run off the lead starter/soon LTO.

ElectrodacusBMS is very simple and steers all.source means you can use eg a lead charger
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2023, 18:09   #30

Quote:
Or make it even simpler, pull the main fuse at any SOC below 80% and keep it like this, even unplug BMS. Lifepo4 has no self discharge....
No cycle, no risk of deep discharge,nothing can fail or need to be managed nor monitored.
just flip a switch and bilge pumps run off the lead starter/soon LTO.

ElectrodacusBMS is very simple and steers all.source means you can use eg a lead charger
That works, unless you have a bilge pump, freezer, etc. I leave my boat for a few weeks at a time, and leave those things on.

For those that haul their boat and winterize it, I recommend just disconnecting it like you say.

Tags
lifepo4