Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2022, 21:42   #1

Lithium batteries setup questions on my catamaran

Hello
I wonder how to finalize my new lithium setup on my lagoon 410 on the port engine I will do from the starting battery dc to dc on lithium batteries. I have few questions.
my house batteries are with the port engine can lithium batteries be affected by engine heat?

how would you connect the second dc to dc from the starboard side? the starting batteries is about 20 feet away from the house batteries.

Can I have 2 dc to dc of 60 amp charging the 400 ah batteries bank
Exile410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 22:15   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Lithium batteries setup questions on my catamaran

Lithium batteries do not like extreme heat or cold.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 23:19   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Read your battery specifications it will state operating temperature and charge rate.
Old 21-02-2022, 14:18   #4

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

No lithium battery in the engine room, they won‘t work and die extremely fast.

Dc-to-dc charger: how is your charging of the old FLA. As far as I know the house in starboard and the starter are paralleled as soon as one engine=1 alternator is running, this is done by a Citrix from Victron. Correct?
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 19:36   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
No lithium battery in the engine room, they won‘t work and die extremely fast.

Dc-to-dc charger: how is your charging of the old FLA. As far as I know the house in starboard and the starter are paralleled as soon as one engine=1 alternator is running, this is done by a Citrix from Victron. Correct?
Your write it is in parallels and it is still plug the original way with fla starting and house batteries. I already bought my new setup And I will install it sometime in April or May boat still hullout until end of may.
Old 22-02-2022, 11:03   #6

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

It sounds like, please don't take offense, that you may have bought Lithium "drop in" batteries to put in your boat without consideration of what this actually means.

If so, then you need to do a lot of research/learning or your batteries will be toast in no time at all and you will have wasted your money. This is the same reason why Gel batteries got a bad rap. People treated them like FLA batteries and they are not.

Lithium batteries are only a part of a system and all the parts of the system need to play together in order to get the benefits of lithium.

Draw a diagram of what you are thinking and maybe people can help you.
Cpt Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 14:47   #7

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile410 View Post
Your write it is in parallels and it is still plug the original way with fla starting and house batteries. I already bought my new setup And I will install it sometime in April or May boat still hullout until end of may.
If they are in parallel like i explained then it is easy. Really check that!! If yes You can connect both DC-to-DC Charger in parallel on your starboard house/starter bank. When the BB starter battery started the BB engine and alternator is running the Ciytrix battery combiner parallels your BB starter with the STB house+starter battery and rhen both DC to DC charger start charging the LifePo4. Same with STB engine. This way you max out your alternator when one engine is running as 2 chargers woek in parallel. You should have 115A alternators, they can do max 60A-70A. If both engines running its 1=30A per engine.
I have it like that on my Lavezzi.
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 18:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
If they are in parallel like i explained then it is easy. Really check that!! If yes You can connect both DC-to-DC Charger in parallel on your starboard house/starter bank. When the BB starter battery started the BB engine and alternator is running the Ciytrix battery combiner parallels your BB starter with the STB house+starter battery and rhen both DC to DC charger start charging the LifePo4. Same with STB engine. This way you max out your alternator when one engine is running as 2 chargers woek in parallel. You should have 115A alternators, they can do max 60A-70A. If both engines running its 1=30A per engine.
I have it like that on my Lavezzi.
On my lagoon it is one start battery per engine but one or the other alternator charges the house batteries that are on the port side.
and I have a switch that allows me to use one or the other start batterie to start the engine in case of a problem. I wonder what will be the simple connection to have charge on the house batteries regardless of the engine In use by having two dc to dc and using all cable already in place to do my setup

Click image for larger version

Name:	9244016D-E4DD-4139-B839-70A1A532BCF6.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	349.5 KB
ID:	253402

Tags
batteries, catamaran, lithium