Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2021, 08:26   #271
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Low Budget Lifepo4 Experiences anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
By EU law battery terminal connector cable must hold 2x battery weight.
also for example in USA through-hull fitting must keep load xx kg in EU you can use brass for agriculture with CE certificate.
Sorry but that sounds like BS to my retired shipwright ears
If you preformed that test with an 8D battery you would catastrophically destroy the battery.
Old 07-04-2021, 11:21   #272

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
also for example in USA through-hull fitting must keep load xx kg in EU you can use brass for agriculture with CE certificate.
Just saw the pic of the battery, thats 15mm2 and not 150mm2...your surveyor should complain about that, 35qmm2 min, better 50qmm2 for the cable....
Since when in EU, never heard that before...agree with newpaul, BS. My german surveyor didn't know anything about that too.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 12:59   #273
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Just saw the pic of the battery, thats 15mm2 and not 150mm2...your surveyor should complain about that, 35qmm2 min, better 50qmm2 for the cable....
Since when in EU, never heard that before...agree with newpaul, BS. My german surveyor didn't know anything about that too.
this cable is only for testing. But I install illegal cable in this boat but cover all cable with conduit beginning and end cable in shrink in color black-red

H01N2-D 1x 120 mm2 1690 x 0,3 wire force max N 1800
SiHF/GLS cable is too expensive
how to connect cable 90 mm2 to M6

more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 13:33   #274

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Quote:
I think a lot is being lost in translation here. The EU standard id for the holding strength of the lug crimped to the cable. Not that the cable and lug should be able to lift the battery by the terminal.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 15:41   #275
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbo View Post
I think a lot is being lost in translation here. The EU standard id for the holding strength of the lug crimped to the cable. Not that the cable and lug should be able to lift the battery by the terminal.
That was what I thought thanks Kenbo
Old 07-04-2021, 16:18   #276
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbo View Post
what lug and cable you use with M6 bolt on this tiny aluminum couple mm2 terminal on this battery
Old 07-04-2021, 17:54   #277

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

]
Quote:
what lug and cable you use with M6 bolt on this tiny aluminum couple mm2 terminal on this battery
I can't believe you're a troll. But you can't find a ring terminal for a heavy cable that fits a 6 mm bolt? The photo shows the terminal I found at the local hardware store and the bolt that connects to my battery. the aluminum "ring" is the same size as on a standard 12 volt LA battery. That's what the electricity is going through. As far as sheer forces on the bolt, all my cables have some slack on them. I agree stripping may be a problem that's why I replaced the bolts with threaded rod. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210407_204137758.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	236124
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 20:19   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
The thought with the diversion load is just to give the panels some use when the batteries are fully charged. Not sure if that is really necessary.

So, basically we would need to plug the diversion load in manually when we see that the batteries have reached a certain voltage?

Are there no relays for this which we could install right behind the MPPT's to do the switch over?
This would be very easy to do with a voltage sensitive relay. Note that most are only rated for 10 or 20a so the actual switching for the dump would have to be done by a slave relay

AU $6.80 11%OFF | DC 12V / 24V LED Digital Relay Switch Control Board Relay Module Voltage Protection Detection Charging Discharge Monitor
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0G4n4n
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 21:41   #279

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneDiving View Post
This would be very easy to do with a voltage sensitive relay. Note that most are only rated for 10 or 20a so the actual switching for the dump would have to be done by a slave relay

AU $6.80 11%OFF | DC 12V / 24V LED Digital Relay Switch Control Board Relay Module Voltage Protection Detection Charging Discharge Monitor
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0G4n4n
Old 08-04-2021, 01:06   #280
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
]I can't believe you're a troll. But you can't find a ring terminal for a heavy cable that fits a 6 mm bolt? The photo shows the terminal I found at the local hardware store and the bolt that connects to my battery. the aluminum "ring" is the same size as on a standard 12 volt LA battery. That's what the electricity is going through. As far as sheer forces on the bolt, all my cables have some slack on them. I agree stripping may be a problem that's why I replaced the bolts with threaded rod. Attachment 236124
On picture is Lug for wire range AWG 10-12 6mm2 to 4mm2
ok this is for connecting electric toilet maybe so thin for 1 toilet What with rest of ship. cable lug DIN 46235 possible order cable 35mm2 AWG 2 cable but also this is to small because Cable dimension calculate must be On boat all consumption on max voltage drop max 10%
bow thruster, anchor windlasses
Old 08-04-2021, 01:43   #281

Quote:
how to connect cable 90 mm2 to M6

The best solution would be to get a breaker that is sized and rated to use the cable and lugs you want to use. Chinese/Aliexpress breakers are notorious for being over rated. Remember that the rating is based upon the contact area between the lug and the terminal, not the bolt diameter. I'd seriously doubt the mounting in the photo could handle a continuous 300A.

If these are the only breakers you can find then another solution would be to run two smaller cables with 6mm lugs in parallel from a bus bar and the larger cable to the breaker. Again the contact area on the circuit breaker would be the limiting factor.
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:55   #282

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I would suggest that trying to use 90mm2 cables is the problem and a switch to 24v or 48v long over due.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:15   #283
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneDiving View Post
The best solution would be to get a breaker that is sized and rated to use the cable and lugs you want to use. Chinese/Aliexpress breakers are notorious for being over rated. Remember that the rating is based upon the contact area between the lug and the terminal, not the bolt diameter. I'd seriously doubt the mounting in the photo could handle a continuous 300A.

If these are the only breakers you can find then another solution would be to run two smaller cables with 6mm lugs in parallel from a bus bar and the larger cable to the breaker. Again the contact area on the circuit breaker would be the limiting factor.
Customer bay this in a local marine shop. i 40 amp I use to switch light in the engine room Led 10w i think.
this I think use for switch inverter to 1000W

fuse must use this on all +- 4 pieces https://www.ebay.com/itm/BEP-MARINE-...QAAOSwsB9V-o5i
Old 08-04-2021, 02:17   #284

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Terminals suitable for 90mm2 wire designed for a 6mm diameter stud are readily available. Look at the range from Cembre for example.

However, most quality equipment that requires this sized wiring is going to have a 8mm or thicker stud.

I agree with GoneDiving, the pictured circuit breaker looks a poor design to my eyes. It is only a thermal breaker (not a magnetic/thermal breaker), is not produced by a recognised manufacturer, and it has a very small contact area and narrow stud.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 04:12   #285
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Terminals suitable for 90mm2 wire designed for a 6mm diameter stud are readily available. Look at the range from Cembre for example.

However, most quality equipment that requires this sized wiring is going to have a 8mm or thicker stud.

I agree with GoneDiving, the pictured circuit breaker looks a poor design to my eyes. It is only a thermal breaker (not a magnetic/thermal breaker), is not produced by a recognised manufacturer, and it has a very small contact area and narrow stud.
i have but this is a lug for UPS no DIN
i can crimp cable but I don't connect to the boat.I sell this battery,lug but this is not for use only for show.

post pictures
i think lot of people don't understand EU law. for every bolt, every material in any building, a vehicle must have a Certificate when the inspector asks. you can use a vehicle, building after the inspector approves.

Tags
budget, enc, lifepo4