Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2022, 00:44   #166
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Making a cheap BMS ABYC compliant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Would putting one of these across the output of an alternator suppress the transient when the BMS disconnected?

It would help but you need to do the maths against the datasheet to ensure the power dissipated remains within limits of the package , this is the challenge with TVs design in particular alternator spikes are high energy and relatively long. Little fuse has a good application note on it. ( as does STM )

Secondly a 17v TVS is low as it would likely be triggered when you didn’t want it.
Old 23-11-2022, 12:49   #167

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Making a cheap BMS ABYC compliant

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
It would help but you need to do the maths against the datasheet to ensure the power dissipated remains within limits of the package , this is the challenge with TVs design in particular alternator spikes are high energy and relatively long. Little fuse has a good application note on it. ( as does STM )

Secondly a 17v TVS is low as it would likely be triggered when you didn’t want it.
The specs look pretty impressive and I suspect that with a couple of inductors and capacitors one could pretty well smother all the transients.

We need better information on the specification of alternator output transients and their causes. Unfortunately my oscilloscope didn't make it onto the boat and my wife would probably call the police if I went to get it and the software for my 10 channel 12 bit AD converter is on a 3 1/2" disc and I don't have any computers which run Win98.
Old 23-11-2022, 13:56   #168
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
The specs look pretty impressive and I suspect that with a couple of inductors and capacitors one could pretty well smother all the transients.

We need better information on the specification of alternator output transients and their causes. Unfortunately my oscilloscope didn't make it onto the boat and my wife would probably call the police if I went to get it and the software for my 10 channel 12 bit AD converter is on a 3 1/2" disc and I don't have any computers which run Win98.
You are trying to make this: https://www.sterling-power-usa.com/S...iondevice.aspx

You must understand that it is impossible to calculate what will work and what not. Much is depending on the HVC event, how fast it switches, if it’s a contactor or a bank of MOSFET’s, how high the alternator output is at that moment etc. So all these devices do is provide a last resort attempt. You must have another, fail safe mechanism to prevent this from happening.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2022, 22:00   #169

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You are trying to make this: https://www.sterling-power-usa.com/S...iondevice.aspx

You must understand that it is impossible to calculate what will work and what not. Much is depending on the HVC event, how fast it switches, if it’s a contactor or a bank of MOSFET’s, how high the alternator output is at that moment etc. So all these devices do is provide a last resort attempt. You must have another, fail safe mechanism to prevent this from happening.
Hi mate,

the manufacturer provides a fairly good set of specs, such as Reverse Stand Off Voltage, minimum Breakdown Voltage, maximum Breakdown Voltage, Peak Pulse Current, and Clamping Voltage and graphs for response times and other operating characteristics and claims up to 15,000 Watts TVS with a range of devices from 17-280 volts.

I'm just an amateur but the above suggests that if one could characterize the transient a solution could be engineered, being mindful that the transient only needs to be tamed back to being relatively benign. A solution would be nice to have even if one is not going to connect a BMS system. We tend to have a lot of expensive gear connected to our DC power systems these days.

My relationship with transients has pretty well been: "the backward connection" transient, often fatal where protection has not been designed into the device; the "excessive voltage transient" what bloody idiot put a 240 volt AC plug onto that 12V DC device; "the induced transient", damn that lightening strike was close and the TV and computer have quit working.

These are pretty well all acts of folly, God or nature and one can generally use the excuse "fate is the rationalization for doing (or not doing) something you knew you shouldn't have done (or should have) in the first place" to avoid subjecting yourself to accountable however knowing that most pribably inevitably going to create excursions with a BMS probably wont cut it.
Old 23-11-2022, 22:35   #170

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hi mate,

the manufacturer provides a fairly good set of specs, such as Reverse Stand Off Voltage, minimum Breakdown Voltage, maximum Breakdown Voltage, Peak Pulse Current, and Clamping Voltage and graphs for response times and other operating characteristics and claims up to 15,000 Watts TVS with a range of devices from 17-280 volts.

I'm just an amateur but the above suggests that if one could characterize the transient a solution could be engineered, being mindful that the transient only needs to be tamed back to being relatively benign. A solution would be nice to have even if one is not going to connect a BMS system. We tend to have a lot of expensive gear connected to our DC power systems these days.

My relationship with transients has pretty well been: "the backward connection" transient, often fatal where protection has not been designed into the device; the "excessive voltage transient" what bloody idiot put a 240 volt AC plug onto that 12V DC device; "the induced transient", damn that lightening strike was close and the TV and computer have quit working.

These are pretty well all acts of folly, God or nature and one can generally use the excuse "fate is the rationalization for doing (or not doing) something you knew you shouldn't have done (or should have) in the first place" to avoid subjecting yourself to accountable however knowing that most pribably inevitably going to create excursions with a BMS probably wont cut it.
I have no idea what you are trying to tell me but it sounds like specs for the TVS diode. BTW, the part number is listed as obsolete and the part housing looks very different too so I’m not sure what you have.

Anyway, I wasn’t talking about the TVS but about the effects from a HVC, which can only be known by actual testing for every situation and every different system.

Also, ABYC and all who copy them, states it is mandatory to have a BMS and to have that warning level that stops the alternator so I don’t understand why you are so reluctant to just do it right.

Old 23-11-2022, 23:50   #171
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

The alternator load dump is well characterised so if you design to the SAE spec you can be as sure as practical you’ve covered your basis

I don’t Agree with your last paragraph. Tvs is much faster then any other mechanism and in the correct design capable of handling KW of spike power

There is no need for a other failsafe on top of tbd TVs.

I have TVs units all over the boat. Interestingly all the devices so protected survived the lightening strike. My next upgrade is to build a few specific can bus TVs protectors and dot them about.
Old 24-11-2022, 04:17   #172

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Would putting one of these across the output of an alternator suppress the transient when the BMS disconnected?
Raymond you ask about use of these two semiconductors, give us a picture, but dont say what they are or provide a link to a description. Then everybody in the know proceeds to discuss them. Is this intentional or just an oversight?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2022, 07:01   #173

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I don’t Agree with your last paragraph. Tvs is much faster then any other mechanism and in the correct design capable of handling KW of spike power

There is no need for a other failsafe on top of tbd TVs.
Experts incl. ABYC do not agree with you and specify that the BMS must provide warning signals to be used as a means to prevent HVC.

To endorse the use of HVC as a normal means of charge termination is shocking.

Old 24-11-2022, 08:12   #174

I see what you did there...

Isolating the target bank from the charge buss via un-warned cutoff is perfectly fine, so long as the lead Starter batt remains hard-wired to continue buffering the charge source output.

In a small / simple design, all these electronic / mcu based "solutions" just make the system much more fragile overall.

If you need to comply with these guidelines to get insured, then all fine and good label the discussion as within that context.
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2022, 08:40   #175

Quote:
Also, ABYC and all who copy them, states it is mandatory to have a BMS and to have that warning level that stops the alternator so I don’t understand why you are so reluctant to just do it right.

Just to clarify, ABYC does not require or stipulate any advance warning prior to a BMS disconnect. The HVE event immediately begets the HVC action. It's an action of last resort. That's all the spec requires. Anything more is optional and at the discretion of the designer/builder.

Personally I think an advance warning signal should be required, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it show up in the next revision. It is currently suggested, but not required. The challenge is that drop in batteries are a reality and aren't going away, and none I know of offer any sort of external communications or warning. So requiring it will render all those batteries and boats non-compliant. But that my be the pill that needs to be swallowed.
Old 24-11-2022, 08:48   #176
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Experts incl. ABYC do not agree with you and specify that the BMS must provide warning signals to be used as a means to prevent HVC.

To endorse the use of HVC as a normal means of charge termination is shocking.

Sorry I agree there should be advance warning of any disconnect. Other then that I usually ignore anything ABYC suggest.
Old 24-11-2022, 08:54   #177
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood View Post
Just to clarify, ABYC does not require or stipulate any advance warning prior to a BMS disconnect. The HVE event immediately begets the HVC action. It's an action of last resort. That's all the spec requires. Anything more is optional and at the discretion of the designer/builder.

Personally I think an advance warning signal should be required, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it show up in the next revision. It is currently suggested, but not required. The challenge is that drop in batteries are a reality and aren't going away, and none I know of offer any sort of external communications or warning. So requiring it will render all those batteries and boats non-compliant. But that my be the pill that needs to be swallowed.

Hmm E-13 is rather prescriptive

“13.5.6 If a shutdown condition is approaching, a BMS should notify the operator with a visual and/or audible alarm prior to disconnecting the battery from the DC system.”
Old 24-11-2022, 09:04   #178

"should" ≠ "must"

within the context that the whole document is just guidelines
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2022, 09:09   #179
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorn View Post
I see what you did there...

Isolating the target bank from the charge buss via un-warned cutoff is perfectly fine, so long as the lead Starter batt remains hard-wired to continue buffering the charge source output.

In a small / simple design, all these electronic / mcu based "solutions" just make the system much more fragile overall.

If you need to comply with these guidelines to get insured, then all fine and good label the discussion as within that context.

Sorry this is technical nonsense

Damping a load dump event is required in cars under iso-16750-2- and iso-7637-2 and equivalent sae specs.

There is no issue protecting the alternator frin such events. It just requires the correct protection. Systems be installed.

As to how mcu solutions make systems fragile is also nonsense. It’s 2022 not 1822. Mcu running supervisor systems can enhance your security and safety.

There’s is absolutely no need to retain the hard wired starter in system. It just takes appropriate systems design to remove it. In fact with LFp it makes no sense to retain any lead on board.

Damping load dump merely requires appropriate technology. It’s easily done and no doubt we will see more such protectors fron the marine tech industry in the near future

There’s no need to retain lead in any form certainly not to protect your alternator.

This is the sae test model that the protection must dampen upper voltage is 140v time is 100 mS. 19
Such pulses must now be dampened. It’s a tall order for TVS solutions but it can be done ( and has been done )
Most new car alternators regulators can react so fast they can partially met the SAE specs. These days.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1669310040.602967.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	267878
Old 24-11-2022, 09:35   #180
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorn View Post
"should" ≠ "must"

within the context that the whole document is just guidelines

Yes but the same wording exists in the ISO specs and that will have legal standing in 2023
In ABYC should is must in the context that ABYC has no legal standing

Tags
cheap