Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-11-2018, 01:35   #196

Boat: LAGOON 400
Re: LiFeYPO4 1000Ah Winston prismatic cells and all electric galley (L400)

CNB, you are fountain of ideas

I am all ears
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 02:12   #197

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

I am still doing some research on the projectors, this one looks promising, but I need to search for reviews:

Projektor-Bluetooth

There are lots of pocket-projector units, this one has built-in Android, Airplay and possibly can stream directly from the NAS without a separate media PC, also can run on internal battery power outdoors.
Unfortunately the resolution is up-scaled.

Alternatively a regular 1080p would do the trick:

BenQ TH683 DLP 1080p
and a table roll-screen : 50" Screen
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 02:57   #198

Also quite nice and compact....

Old 15-11-2018, 05:21   #199
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
I wonder why this thread was closed. Winston prismatic cells and all electric galley
looks like it was merged with this one?

Can't tell anymore what this one's title was?

Very confusing, will now need to fix lots of bookmark links 8-(

CatNewBee, can you please try to scan this thread see if the build / install posts you originally documented so diligently made it over in the transition?

Hard to believe this was done without anyone consulting you.

Wish there was a centralized wiki. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 07:12   #200

Re: Merged LiFeYPO4 1000Ah Winston prismatic cells and all electric galley...

It was fixed by the administrator, should be OK.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:56   #201

Finally we chose this one instead of a (large) TV screen:

LG PF1500G LED-Projector (Full HD, contrast 150000:1, native resolution 1.920 x 1.080, 1400 ANSI Lumen, HDMI, USB, WiFi direct)

It is a bright LED light projector, so I hope the lamp will last 4ever.

It is small, lightweight and easy to store away when not needed, the projection canvas will invisibly roll up behind the galley hangers.

It is a 19V DC unit, I will power it up by a step-up converter (widely available to power notebooks from a car DC outlet) instead of the 220V power supply.
Old 10-12-2018, 13:23   #202
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"It is a bright LED light projector, so I hope the lamp will last 4ever."
FWIW, they never do. I have had several friends find out the hard way, they don't last forever, and they are never in stock when you need one, so plan on needing to have it overnighted to you--if you can find one. Or just break down and get a spare, while they are still available at all.
With the better LED projectors, you also never turn off the power. You may stop the projection, but then there is usually a cooler fan that will run for several minutes, until the temperature of the LED assembly has dropped significantly. Simply turning off the power will cook the LEDs and kill the projector way too soon.
FWIW.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 14:49   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"It is a bright LED light projector, so I hope the lamp will last 4ever."
FWIW, they never do. I have had several friends find out the hard way, they don't last forever, and they are never in stock when you need one, so plan on needing to have it overnighted to you--if you can find one. Or just break down and get a spare, while they are still available at all.
With the better LED projectors, you also never turn off the power. You may stop the projection, but then there is usually a cooler fan that will run for several minutes, until the temperature of the LED assembly has dropped significantly. Simply turning off the power will cook the LEDs and kill the projector way too soon.
FWIW.
the projector is quite cool, there are 3 power level, the most brite one causes the fan running at high speed - after turning off, it shuts after 5 seconds. The intermediate setting is ok, bright enough and silent.

The rating for the LED is 30000h MTBF. Will likely live longer than the rest of the electronics inside. Will see how long it lasts.
Old 10-12-2018, 16:36   #204

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Simply turning off the power will cook the LEDs and kill the projector way too soon.
FWIW.

Of course you can turn it off completely once the fan stops spinning. That's most important with any incandescent-style projector as they don't have a heat sink directly attached to the globe.

Same goes for other devices like diesel engines. After running them hard, let them idle for a few minutes before turning them off.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 00:06   #205

Thats what I am saying, the LED projector needs only 5 seconds to cool down sufficiently and turn off the fan after switching off - in contrast to a projector with a regular lamp, that runs the fan for several minutes after shut down. No big issue.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:44   #206
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cat-
The folks who made the projector may think 5 seconds is all that buyers will tolerate. What you'd really want to do is use a thermometer or thermocouple to check the temperature on the heat sink, or the emitter array. Five seconds...might take the worst of it away, but solid state electronics, including LEDs, literally halve/double their lifespan with every 10 degree temperature change. So from a "typical" lifetime of 1000 years, or in the case of LED's some 50,000 hours of operation until they reach 70% brightness...if you figure that rating is at 68F "standard" temperature, and you start going up and cutting the 50,000 in half every ten degrees, you might want to improve on how they sold it. Depending I guess of whether it is $300 or $25 to replace the "bulb".

With some things (as hz points out) like diesel engines, aftercooling can also make a difference. Although in that case it is usually because once the engine shuts, the oil pump shuts, and the oil literally cooks and turns to tar in hot spots and on the valve cover. Sometimes the tar flakes off in old age, clogs an oil passage, and takes out an engine. But they run "well enough" for the mass market. And some of us, well, when these things are set up automatically I still prefer the Big Red Switch: When I kill power, I want to know I've killed ALL the power.
I'm in awe of the Moto call phone that takes a"projector" back attachment. No idea how it looks, but the concept tickles me pink.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 00:45   #207

I know, but this stuff is inside the projector, I bother about things I can change, I am not up to dessign a new projector. What I am saying is, I can use it as it is and it is no big deal turning it off when finished watching. I do not have to wait for long until the internal thermostate turns the fan off. It continues to cool down afterwards any way, and storing it away after a short time is a non- issue. The LED are also lighter and can handle shaking much better than a light bulb. So all good.
Old 17-12-2018, 11:49   #208

Hi CatNewBee
I remember you doing most of the diy work somewhere in med. Can you share info about you refit location? Or best location you may recommend. I am looking for economical live aboard Marina so I can do diy work slowly and also have convenience of shops nearby so I can get the things needed for work quickly.
dooleedooroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 23:58   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooleedooroo View Post
Hi CatNewBee
I remember you doing most of the diy work somewhere in med. Can you share info about you refit location? Or best location you may recommend. I am looking for economical live aboard Marina so I can do diy work slowly and also have convenience of shops nearby so I can get the things needed for work quickly.
You've got a PM...
cheers CNB
Old 18-12-2018, 19:33   #210

Boat: LAGOON 400

CNB thanks for encouragement Because of you, I have now fully functioning 400 AH lithium.

Me and my wife are just shocked how much energy is suddenly available.

My calcs turned out fine. 360 W solar by itself can handle the whole thing, no need for upgrade. We are and will remain 12 V establishment.

arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, galley