Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-07-2019, 08:16   #316

Boat: Seawind 1000 XL2
Re: Merged LiFeYPO4 1000Ah Winston prismatic cells and all electric galley...

AFAICT, AIMS inverters are marine grade, at least they claim to be on the manufacturer's spec sheets and when I called their support.

For the alternator charge, I was planning on trying out with only solar for the 24V bank, and see if that suffices. If it doesn't, I'll just have to do without luxuries until I get a B2B 12 to 24. However, I have a hunch that 915W will provide plenty extraneous capacity. I assume that investing in more LFP cells to have more reserves for the cloudy days will be best.
aybabtme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:42   #317

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

I do have an 200A AC/DC TIG portable welder on board too, it can be run off the inverter configuration or using the generator, however it is for emergency repairs only, not for daily use and it gives me the opportunity to weld all materials on board, aluminum, stainless etc... . I would not design my system around the TIG welder, but no problem using it when needed.

Any way. I value the Quattro, because it gives me the option of quick charge the bank with 200A from the Onan generator or shore power. Also I can team up any source with power assist, what means 8kW Onan plus 5kW Quattro gives me about 12kW reliable AC power, or 2kW Mastervolt with the Quattro leads to up to 7kVA AC. Also limited shore power can be topped up by the Quattro to use all power hungry gear on a weak marina plug.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:01   #318

Boat: Seawind 1000 XL2

LOL awesome! Your setup is basically what I had in mind for a while. TIG welder, projector, electric galley hardware! It's so great to see that you've put this together with such great results! Now I just need SpaceX or OneWeb to put their LEO constellation in orbit and my grand plan will be complete! I'm picturing myself checking in with work remotely from an atoll in the Pacific. Ah... dreams!
Old 25-07-2019, 03:08   #319

Boat: still looking for the right Tri

Tks for the detailled documentation, CNB.

Gives a good idea, how big the work can become to turn a "factory built" multihull into a "living-a-board" boat. Sounds more like "rennovating an old house" :-)

As we know, multihulls are very weight sensitive. Did you put all your new (and old) gear on the weight control to calculate the extra weight loaded or maybe even the benefit of weight loss ?

I would not wonder you come close to 3/4 of a ton in total (inclusive stand for solar panels, generator), hm ?
Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 04:57   #320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip JayR View Post
Tks for the detailled documentation, CNB.

Gives a good idea, how big the work can become to turn a "factory built" multihull into a "living-a-board" boat. Sounds more like "rennovating an old house" :-)

As we know, multihulls are very weight sensitive. Did you put all your new (and old) gear on the weight control to calculate the extra weight loaded or maybe even the benefit of weight loss ?

I would not wonder you come close to 3/4 of a ton in total (inclusive stand for solar panels, generator), hm ?
Some weight isn't that bad, it may help not to capsize. There were 4 x 150Ah GEL batteries, heavy stuff, the lithiums are slightly lighter I guess, the solar arc, controller and the inverter add some weight, all other stuff was factory installed.

Living on board and cruising means you have a lot of stuff with you, folding bikes, tools, spare parts, food and beverages, clothes etc. Got rid of the microwave. It is not a racing cat, its about cruising. We cruise as a couple, the boat is classified A12 with 3500kg capacity, we are OK, I assume.
Old 14-09-2019, 03:48   #321

Update solar kWh harvested and used in the Med mid August to mid September... Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190914-124631.jpeg
Views:	271
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	199834
Old 15-09-2019, 17:20   #322

Boat: Ranger 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
No, look at the drawing, it is a short pulse of 50ms created by the capacitor in line with the input. When powered on, the capacitor pulls up the input and than no current is flowing when it is charged, so the input is then low again.

When the signal goes down, the capacitor discharges quickly over the resistor and the LED to accept the next signal if necessary.

It is a 100 microfarrad capacitor, discharging takes about 500ms. Without the Resistor and the LED it would take a minute or longer until the capacitor looses enough charge and can pull up the input on a subsequent high.

I've been having a hard time trying to figure this one out. I believe what you're saying is that DC current CAN flow through a capacitor, but only when its charging? Is there a name for this phenomenon? Everything I read about capacitors says that they don't allow DC current to flow through them. I tried to use a few circuit simulators to test on but I came out even more confused. Sorry.... my electrical knowledge is pretty limited. Your solution seems much nicer than using two interval or one shot relays for each ML-RBS.
expozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 23:20   #323

Quote:
Originally Posted by expozen View Post
I've been having a hard time trying to figure this one out. I believe what you're saying is that DC current CAN flow through a capacitor, but only when its charging? Is there a name for this phenomenon? Everything I read about capacitors says that they don't allow DC current to flow through them. I tried to use a few circuit simulators to test on but I came out even more confused. Sorry.... my electrical knowledge is pretty limited. Your solution seems much nicer than using two interval or one shot relays for each ML-RBS.
Currend does not flow through a capacitor. But current flows into a capacitor to charge it and out of a capacitor to discharge it. This time is short and depends on the capacitor size and the resistor that limits the current.

Exactly this makes capacitors to create impulses when needed, preventing further DC current from flowing. This is the goal of the implementation above, make a long enough impulse to trigger the solenoid, but not have a continuous current flow into the solenoid when remaining on or off.

Because of charging and discharging currents capacitors can show a current flow in AC circuits and are used to transfer the signal by blocking DC part. Used in many applications.
Old 16-09-2019, 03:11   #324

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Xopa View Post
[...]
Im trying to minimise the interval of having to replace things.

[...]

Not sure you got that one the right way 'round?

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 03:41   #325

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
Not sure you got that one the right way 'round?
Ooops, my bad.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 22:52   #326
Marine Service Provider

Talking Re: Merged LiFeYPO4 1000Ah Winston prismatic cells and all electric galley...

Quote:
Oh well, the money...

5 x BenQ Panels each 306 € =1530 €
Victron SmartSolar MPPT 150/100-Tr =809€
stainless steel frame inclusive labour =2000€
flexible wires and cable shoes etc. =500€
breaker, diodes, electronics stuff, =100€
LFP cells LYP1000AHC 4x1240€ =4960 €
massive copper rail 2m =50€
4x latching relay 500A 12V ML-RBS =600 €
REC Active BMS mit Display, Kabel, Sensor=545 €
other material (stainless steel screws, washers, shrink tube etc. =150€
Victron Quattro 12/5000/220-100/100 =3082€
Victron BMV-712=214€
Victron MK3 USB Interface =71€

so inclusive the oven and the induction cooktop it was an investment of round about 16000€.

All parts were bought online; research, engineering and installation all DIY except for the stainless steel frame for the panels.

All prices incl. 19% VAT

Not includet is the price of the vessel of course [emoji56].

It was not that expensive, it's a lot of high-end electronics.
I can offer lower price of Winston batteries
JuliaYu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 04:14   #327

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaYu View Post
Thats great.

Well I have my batteries running and probably dont need upgrades soon, but there are a lot of others thinking about a battery project.

Can you please post a list of cell capacities (including Winston item numbers to lookup the specs, like size, weight etc. ) and prices you can offer and where you are able to ship them for what costs?

Would be great for the other forum members I think.
Old 18-09-2019, 07:04   #328

Boat: L42

Quote:
Thats great.

Well I have my batteries running and probably dont need upgrades soon, but there are a lot of others thinking about a battery project.

Can you please post a list of cell capacities (including Winston item numbers to lookup the specs, like size, weight etc. ) and prices you can offer and where you are able to ship them for what costs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaYu View Post

Absolutely! Also, I assume you are in China, who are you with and what warranty/assurances can you provide?
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 08:17   #329
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Thats great.

Yes, sure. But I hope it's not violating the forum rules.
Anyone interested, please leave your destination city and how many which type battery you are looking for, then I can check and figure out more detailed shipping cost. Because shipping cost varies from weight and destination address.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E7969EE0-BEE8-421D-BEF8-1B3036E644C7.jpeg
Views:	258
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	200078  
Old 18-09-2019, 08:24   #330
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_C View Post
Absolutely! Also, I assume you are in China, who are you with and what warranty/assurances can you provide?
Yes, you are right, I am from Sky Power International Ltd. from China. We are an authorized distributor and representative of Thunder Sky Winston Battery Limited. We can privide 1-3 years warranty based on price.

Tags
electric, galley