Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28-06-2021, 06:50   #661

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Merged LiFeYPO4 1000Ah Winston prismatic cells and all electric galley...

400w of solar is not much to run induction cooking together with your other boat systems. The battery storage is not the issue, the limitatation is producing all the power you are using.

The portable induction cook tops are only inexpensive so the best advice is to give one a try.You will manage some cooking without using the generator, but not much unless your other house needs are minimal and you are permanently cruising areas with excellent solar insolation.

I would not dismantle an alternative system (such as propane) until you have trialed the system in different areas and seasons, unless you are prepared to rely on the generator.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 07:21   #662
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
400w of solar is not much to run induction cooking together with your other boat systems. The battery storage is not the issue, the limitatation is producing all the power you are using.

The portable induction cook tops are only inexpensive so the best advice is to give one a try.You will manage some cooking without using the generator, but not much unless your other house needs are minimal and you are permanently cruising areas with excellent solar insolation.

I would not dismantle an alternative system (such as propane) until you have trialed the system in different areas and seasons, unless you are prepared to rely on the generator.
Thanks for the input I don't have much else much else drawing power .
no I would not be decommissioning my propane . Was thinking of induction as a good summer cooking source. I'm old school navy I have several ways of cooking onboard. Even have a gasoline cooking stove for use on the beach .
I also have an air x 400 wind generator .
Old 28-06-2021, 07:46   #663

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Thanks for the input I don't have much else much else drawing power .
no I would not be decommissioning my propane . Was thinking of induction as a good summer cooking source. I'm old school navy I have several ways of cooking onboard. Even have a gasoline cooking stove for use on the beach .
I also have an air x 400 wind generator .
I think your plan is very sensible. Induction is great way to use up excess solar power during times/ locations of better solar insolation.

Propane is a pain to replace for long distance cruising boats and using alternative methods when viable is a great way of minimising the inconvenvenience. It also adds valuable redundancy.

The availability of cheap portable induction hot plates together with the wider use of high power true sign wave inverters have opened up this possibility. It can be a worthwhile option even with a small solar array. My only caution is that relying totally on electric cooking via solar necessitates a large solar array and even then you are restricing your cruising area to locations with at least reasonable solar insolation. The freedom to sail anywhere is one of great benifits of good cruising yacht. Installing equipment that limits this freedom needs to be be considered carefully.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 21:14   #664

We used a single induction cooktop for a while, but found it difficult to regulate the cooking temp ..... the newer ones are inverter logic so the actual induction power can be better controlled rather than the on/off/on of the cheaper units.
Having said that, they use a lot less power over the cooking time than the power level selected because of the very rapid heating during each on cycle, so the actual load time is a 50% cycle even on full power .... which you can only use for a very short burst or it burns everything while still raw in the middle.

We use an Air Fryer most of the time these days, it used less than 100Ah to cook a meal for 4 adults on one occasion when we had friends drop in while we were camped up, it is a big unit so the foot print was a bit of an issue for a while, but it is just so useful we have learned to live around it.

T1 Terry
T1 Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 00:16   #665
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1 Terry View Post
We used a single induction cooktop for a while, but found it difficult to regulate the cooking temp ..... the newer ones are inverter logic so the actual induction power can be better controlled rather than the on/off/on of the cheaper units.
Having said that, they use a lot less power over the cooking time than the power level selected because of the very rapid heating during each on cycle, so the actual load time is a 50% cycle even on full power .... which you can only use for a very short burst or it burns everything while still raw in the middle.

We use an Air Fryer most of the time these days, it used less than 100Ah to cook a meal for 4 adults on one occasion when we had friends drop in while we were camped up, it is a big unit so the foot print was a bit of an issue for a while, but it is just so useful we have learned to live around it.

T1 Terry
Just picked up a nuwave2 induction cooktop for cheap . I will let everyone know test results.
Old 29-06-2021, 06:56   #666
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Just picked up a nuwave2 induction cooktop for cheap . I will let everyone know test results.
The cheaper you go, the worse it gets. That said, the NuWave isn’t that bad but you do give up a lot of power (1,300 instead of 1,800W) so for searing meat, boiling water etc. it ain’t great.

Lack of control is typical for cheap units. Good ones control like a gas burner: accurate and quick response.

For all the bad experiences reported, let me again share a good unit that is affordable as well:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 08:45   #667
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The cheaper you go, the worse it gets. That said, the NuWave isn’t that bad but you do give up a lot of power (1,300 instead of 1,800W) so for searing meat, boiling water etc. it ain’t great.

Lack of control is typical for cheap units. Good ones control like a gas burner: accurate and quick response.

For all the bad experiences reported, let me again share a good unit that is affordable as well:
Actually the nuwave brand is known for functionality. This unit has temperature adjustability from 100°F to 500°F in 10° incremental. As to power I don't cook big fancy meals . Searing that's what my magma is for. The main thing this unit will be doing is cooking my breakfast
Old 29-06-2021, 12:50   #668

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Actually the nuwave brand is known for functionality. This unit has temperature adjustability from 100°F to 500°F in 10° incremental. As to power I don't cook big fancy meals . Searing that's what my magma is for. The main thing this unit will be doing is cooking my breakfast
I did write the NuWave wasn’t bad, just lacking power. The thermostat works for simmering but not for deep frying because of the lack of power.

It will do great for your breakfasts, but the DuxTop would have done better for not much more money. I linked to it for other reading this, especially when otherwise they would buy one of the troubled units that the complaints in this thread are about (lack of control, burning food etc.)

Old 29-06-2021, 13:57   #669
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I did write the NuWave wasn’t bad, just lacking power. The thermostat works for simmering but not for deep frying because of the lack of power.

It will do great for your breakfasts, but the DuxTop would have done better for not much more money. I linked to it for other reading this, especially when otherwise they would buy one of the troubled units that the complaints in this thread are about (lack of control, burning food etc.)
The one you linked to is great looking but at almost triple the price I got the new wave.
Remember I'm on a 29 ft mono so deep frying is reserved for the gasoline stove on the beach .
I will conduct some bench testing in the shop on mains power before the boat. If it's a bust we'll won't load it up .
Old 29-06-2021, 22:32   #670

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The one you linked to is great looking but at almost triple the price I got the new wave.
Remember I'm on a 29 ft mono so deep frying is reserved for the gasoline stove on the beach .
I will conduct some bench testing in the shop on mains power before the boat. If it's a bust we'll won't load it up .
Again, the NuWave will be great. Don’t make it sound like I’m saying it’s not: I have one myself and have been using it for at least 6 years. We like to use it on the dining table like for breakfast or cheese fondue.

Old 30-06-2021, 20:04   #671

Quote:

Checked it out but unfortunately it is 120vac and not 240vac, so doesn't suit our needs, but thank you for the link.

T1 Terry
T1 Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 12:33   #672

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1 Terry View Post
Checked it out but unfortunately it is 120vac and not 240vac, so doesn't suit our needs, but thank you for the link.

T1 Terry
I’m sure your Australian Amazon will have it in your local voltage.

Old 01-07-2021, 13:09   #673

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
I’m sure your Australian Amazon will have it in your local voltage.
They do, a bit different and more expensive

https://www.amazon.com.au/duxtop-Por.../dp/B07XDV3377
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 13:12   #674

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I think your plan is very sensible. Induction is great way to use up excess solar power during times/ locations of better solar insolation.

For sure, but I don't usually want a cooked meal for lunch in summer
And the sun doesn't work at dinner time or early am.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 13:19   #675
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
For sure, but I don't usually want a cooked meal for lunch in summer
And the sun doesn't work at dinner time or early am.
But using induction cooktop for breakfast has the advantage of 1) not adding unwanted heat to the galley. And 2) using some battery power as the panels begin to charge instead of when they are done for the day. . Pressure cooking a stew mid day and placing in an insulated bag makes for easy supper without using propane or battery .
No generator needed in the tropics

Tags
electric, galley