Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-08-2018, 14:22   #121
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
re: Merged LiFeYPO4 1000Ah Winston prismatic cells and all electric galley...

Ya done gud skippa
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:53   #122

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Finally SV Delos is on the same path, Lithium and electric galley, a little smaller approach, they still have the propane oven... LFP batteries manufactured in the US with built in BMS and solenoids, also put pairwise in series for 24V. I am very curious, how this will work on the long run.

https://youtu.be/GvDCLtN22jY
Old 07-08-2018, 11:10   #123

Great thread. Just catching up in it but it's worth the price of admission alone.

This is now my winter project!
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 14:23   #124
cruiser

BattleBorn drop-ins
Old 07-08-2018, 15:13   #125

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
BattleBorn drop-ins
and $12k USD
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 15:15   #126
cruiser

Nobody said LFP was cheap.

Must be nice to have sponsirs and crowdfunding pay for everything.

More power to 'em, they work hard for the money put out a great product.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:23   #127

Boat: Beneteau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Well, the A/C will be tested when I am back in the water end of june I hope. I am still on the dry refitting her, but live on board and use everything possible without shore power, even all the power-tools to get an idea of my power needs.

I will continue posting how far the 1000Ah battery and my solar can keep me off-grid.

So the generator test and the A/C stuff must wait for now.

There are 4 A/C units on board, all the same size. I have no idea yet how much power they need, however, the generator has 9kVA, and I assume they will not use all of it. My guess is, they will probably draw approx. 1.5kW each and this can easy be provided by the inverter.

Do you know the BTU of each unit? We have 5 units, but the most power is drawn by the water pump which draws about 1kw on its own.

I’m just about to fit LFP and would like to run a single aircon unit off the batteries. No problems for the batteries but a bit like your wiring my aircon runs off the high load output on the Quattro. I haven’t started to think of a way around that yet, or even if I actually need a way around it other than to wire the aircon panel to the ‘low’ output on the Quattro.
mbullock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:26   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
The water heater is really a power hog.

It takes 110A and needs 1h 20min to heat 40l of water, that translates to almost 150Ah for hot water (it is a 1200W / 220V unit). Will see how to handle this on the way. Probably run it only when the solar goes to absorption or maybe earlier, when SOC goes over 95% at the end of charging...

I don’t think it would be good value now given your investment but we have a diesel fired hot water boiler with a heat exchanger. It works like a combo boiler now, ten minutes and we have unlimited hot water. I’m sure you will have sufficient power to spare for most of the year with your setup and then you can put back the power delta with the genset every x days.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:27   #129

One question, it was suggested to me to run my LFP between 25 and 80% for maximum life. What made you decide upon 50-90 (if I have got that right?)
Old 08-08-2018, 09:59   #130

check out - it's A/c all running off batteries. The problem you will find is the startup/surge current will be over 60/70 amps for a reasonable sized a/c install. You need to limit and ramp this startup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbullock View Post
Do you know the BTU of each unit? We have 5 units, but the most power is drawn by the water pump which draws about 1kw on its own.

I’m just about to fit LFP and would like to run a single aircon unit off the batteries. No problems for the batteries but a bit like your wiring my aircon runs off the high load output on the Quattro. I haven’t started to think of a way around that yet, or even if I actually need a way around it other than to wire the aircon panel to the ‘low’ output on the Quattro.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:20   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23iL23 View Post
check out - it's A/c all running off batteries. The problem you will find is the startup/surge current will be over 60/70 amps for a reasonable sized a/c install. You need to limit and ramp this startup.
All 4 have together 44000btu, the charter version has 48000btu.
I dont know what they have each, I assume 3x 10000 + 14000 or 4 x 11000.

The current, when one starts up, is neglegible for a 1000Ah battery. The master cabin takes 65A on start up / goes up to max 70A while running. This is nothing compared to the draft of the induction cooktop, when it runs on all 4 burners.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:35   #132
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbullock View Post
One question, it was suggested to me to run my LFP between 25 and 80% for maximum life. What made you decide upon 50-90 (if I have got that right?)
There is no accurate objective measure of SoC directly.

If you keep between

12.0V (11.9 under high current discharge) at the bottom

and 13.8 (or however you choose to define *your* 100% Full) at the top,

then your bank will last much longer than it would following the vendor's spec for min/max.

And your "sacrifice" of working capacity compared to rated AH will likely be well under 15% total.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:49   #133

Well, this is what the battery does in real life every day usage.
I charge it with solar and take as much as I need. Absorption is set to 14.2V (below the 14.5 what Victron has pre-set).

On some days, it reaches the 100%, on some not.
Because we make water, cook, navigate, auto-pilot hydraulic pump, run fridges and freezer, ice maker, espresso machine and charge computers, tablets, VHF handheld and other stuff, the battery is permanently drained by 20+ Amps, then we run sometimes the A/C before sleeping.

The battery never stays full for long.

We want a full battery, it makes little sense to not charge it to what she takes.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:55   #134
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Some AC motors have "soft start" capacitors or circuits added to them. Others, can have one added to them, so the inrush current at startup isn't as great as it otherwise would be. If I were trying to run AC off batteries, I'd start by asking the manufacturer (and then online) to see what the options that way were. It is generally a better way to run these motors, but like anything else it adds cost to the manufacturing, so they won't always be used.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:02   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Some AC motors have "soft start" capacitors or circuits added to them. Others, can have one added to them, so the inrush current at startup isn't as great as it otherwise would be. If I were trying to run AC off batteries, I'd start by asking the manufacturer (and then online) to see what the options that way were. It is generally a better way to run these motors, but like anything else it adds cost to the manufacturing, so they won't always be used.
The Webasto? CruiseAir seems to soft start, the current is slowly rising, the controller turns on the vent and the compressor delayed...

Tags
electric, galley