Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2019, 11:07   #46

Re: Recommendations for Group 31 AGM replacement with LiFPO4

I just upgraded both my solar and battery bank on S/V Cat Tales (1996 Privilege 37 Catamaran) and I am quite happy with the new set up. Firstly I replaced the 450 watts of solar with 1,050 watts of solar (3 panels) and three separate Epever Tracer BN series 30 amp MPPT programable charge controllers with their remote MT50 meter. Next I upgraded the 6 T105’s with 6 Battleborn’s GC-2 (due to size considerations) 100 amp batteries. Cleaned up a bunch of the wiring and installed a separate FLA starter battery which is separate from the house bank and charged by the port engine. The starboard engine charges (with larger alternator) the house bank via an existing remote programable Xantrex alternator charge controller. This controller along with the three solar controllers and the inverter/charger were programmed to the recommended Battleborn voltages. I have added an Echo Charge off the house bank to the starter battery to insure that battery stays charged. I have a voltage monitor for the starter battery which is visible outside the engine compartment. The house bank is monitored by Balmar’s SG 200. I did the work myself with a buddy providing lots of aide. The total cost (solar, controllers, batteries, new wiring, new terminals (10 each!!), was right at ten thousand. Battleborn reviewed all of my charging sources and helped me determine how to set them (including the inverter/charger). The tech support at Battleborn was amazing and extremely knowledgeable. I could not be any happier with the system and no longer have any anxiety over my power system!! Oh, the Battleborn batteries have a 10 year warranty.
Cheers,
Taylor
TaylorO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 13:58   #47

Boat: Ericson 38 - Mistress

Check out the LiFePO4 batteries from custommarineproducts.com. They are high quality, they come with a Bluetooth monitoring app, a built in SOC meter, their support is terrific and the price is right. Their max draw is 150A and you can wire up to 10 batteries in parallel. Customer reviews are excellent.
tdtrimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 16:47   #48
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

It would be better to disclose that you are promoting your own operation Tom.

Are you in Pontiac or Chicago?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 06:28   #49

Boat: C&C 41

Agree with John61ct. I have used Odyessy batteries for 10 years with only one failure out of 6. I will admit that when they are all in parallel it is tricky to know which one is bad. But Odyessey is well worth the higher initial expense.
kvstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 12:34   #50

If you arent familiar with LiFePO4 batteries and what it takes to keep them running, I would go with FF batteries or the drop in batteries from a reputable manufacturer. The issue with LiFePO4 isnt that you "follow" their guidelines, its that those guidelines are geared to match what you have so that you will buy their batteries. Its pretty widely known that Li batteries want to be charged to a certain voltage and then stopped. It doesnt want or need absorption or float and it doesnt like to "stay" that full rate of charge. So if you dont want to manage that - get the all in one and deal with the effects or a more palatable chemistry. I doubt the BB will last 5000 cycles if you abuse it 100-20 DOD, and or keep it charged at the dock for weeks/months on end. Li just doesnt work the same way. But there is no fault in buying the technology, and wanting to use it for what its capable and realizing that it might have a 4-8 year window rather than the 10-15 that you might have been sold on.

As for the drop ins - BB seem to make a decent product. I have no experience with it. THere are others that are more reputable. and obviously the more "reputable" the brand, the higher the premium for them. As for warranty - with Li its pretty much a crapshoot. There obviously is no claimable warranty (there is, but its rather cost ineffective to claim against) for cells, and as for batteries, it depends if you believe that company will be around and to honor the claim. I'm not sure how worthwhile a 10 year warranty from a company that appears to be about 3 years old is. . .
anthem00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 15:22   #51

I replaced Lifeline AGM’s with Fireflys two years ago and couldn’t be happier. I’d make the same decision today.

If you spend every night on the hook and frequently need to go to 80% discharge then a LiFePO4 drop-in warrantied by a US company like Battleborn seems the way to go.

But the eight Battleborn cost $8000 and the eight FF about $4500.

I’m on the hook only about 90 nights a year. Most of those nights I discharge about 60%. Yes, both the FF and Battleborn can be discharged to 80% so have the same usable capacity - but why risk it? If I’ve got guests who insist on long hot showers, it’s easier to start the genset at 60% discharge than check the gauge ever 10 minutes to see how low I can go.

With this use pattern, the FF should last me 8-10 years. I doubt that I’ll still own this boat in ten years. And I’m quite sure the sale price won’t be any higher if it has 10 year old Battleborn or FF batteries.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 15:34   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
If you spend every night on the hook and frequently need to go to 80% discharge then a LiFePO4 drop-in warrantied by a US company like Battleborn seems the way to go.
I don’t know about the “us company” part. Have no idea of the company stability or long term “persistence” of BB - but for a lifepo4 drop in - If you are inclined to go that way - I would say several non us based companies (excepting Chinese companies which would price prohibitive to claim warranties against) would be much more reliable and expected to be around longer than bb or other us based companies.
Old 26-08-2019, 15:35   #53
cruiser

Some people just prefer to buy from companies based in their own country.
Old 26-08-2019, 15:39   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Some people just prefer to buy from companies based in their own country.
Yes but you have to look at potential warranty issue in terms of whether it’s there or can be utilized when needed. . I would argue that If you need warranty on a LiFePO4 drop in system - Victron Or mastervolt are much more likely to “be around” in a few years time over the small fledgling us based ones. I’d say Lithionics for a us based one even....

To be fair - I’m not knocking BB per we. I’m just saying that if I bought their batteries, I’m not counting on that 10yr warranty (from a company that looks like it’s been around for just a couple years). I would be treating it just a little more than as buying from calb, Winston etc. for victron or mastervolt - that after sale warranty and service is something I would feel and could count on.
Old 26-08-2019, 16:47   #55
cruiser

Yes the systems you mention are far better than any drop-in, beyond any warranty.
Old 27-08-2019, 04:51   #56

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthem00 View Post
I doubt the BB will last 5000 cycles if you abuse it 100-20 DOD, and or keep it charged at the dock for weeks/months on end. Li just doesnt work the same way. But there is no fault in buying the technology, and wanting to use it for what its capable and realizing that it might have a 4-8 year window rather than the 10-15 that you might have been sold on.

I've been getting 10-11 years from our Odyssey AGMs...

Although our use case let's us recharge to 100% almost immediately after most cycles.

-Chris
Old 27-08-2019, 05:08   #57

Boat: Hunter 356 35'6"

Last year at the boat show got 4 x 31XT (125ah) Lifeline AGM's for a total of 500ah for just about $1200.
Way easier to swallow than $8000 if you don't need to go to 20% SOC.

Jeff
jeff356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 05:45   #58

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

I replaced my SLA bank with firefly batteries and a good charge controller. I had a problem keeping my lead acid batteries usable on longer trips and with the fireflies I am very happy. They seem, so far, to do everything claimed and I no longer feel the need to run my genset or engine just to charge up my house bank.
Obviously every boat trip and owner has different needs. But if the lead acid bank isn’t working well or the standard AGMs don’t work I would suggest looking at the fireflies. It seems that many boats are happy with them especially for PSOC performance. I don’t think I would bother if I did weekend trips or marina hopping. But for months away from shore power they are working well for me. Again... so far. I’ll know more after a few seasons. I’m still in my first year with these.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 07:20   #59

Does anyone on this thread have hands on experience with LiFePO4 batteries and in particular Battleborn?
TaylorO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 07:40   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorO View Post
Does anyone on this thread have hands on experience with LiFePO4 batteries and in particular Battleborn?
yes to experience with Lfp ( custom bank) no experience with B2b or any Lfp drop in for that matter . Building my own was less than half the cost .

Tags
agm, men