Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2024, 11:18   #106

Re: Start your engine with 4 eve lifepo4 cells, lead makes no sense for this task!!

20 years experience with lifepo4, but he only just learnt a month ago that EVE LF280 lifepo4 can start a diesel…
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 13:22   #107

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Re: Start your engine with 4 eve lifepo4 cells, lead makes no sense for this task!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
20 years experience with lifepo4, but he only just learnt a month ago that EVE LF280 lifepo4 can start a diesel…
Well i started v6 diesels with them when you didn't even know that EVE existed...my buddy was the first who imported them into europe so i know what they are capable of...and what not. He gets all 2 weeks 2 containers and extensivly tested them in his R&D lab...

You still owe us the full specs as something doesn't line up...
4 cells 280AH (which generation? as 1/2nd can do much less the 3rd) start a 3.5kw starter of a how many liters and cylinders....show us a video with a fluke meter on surge load with whole starting procedure. Glow plugs as well, if yes how many?
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 13:58   #108

And best a photo of your QR code decoded so we see exactly which cell of which generation

3.5kw starter 280-300A cont+ glow plugs, surge
aeound 900A on 1p4S EVe 280AH...the last generation with double M6 screw terminal maybe as they can do 2C cont and 3C peak. All before never...

And for record, i have a hybrid starter/house and i am starting from 272AH Lishen. Same case as EVE but internally foils are coiled around the terminal which is a) safer as penetrating them only at the coils cause swelling and gas, if not they still work...and b) same peak rating but triple duration so better suited for high peak load starting but yes only 272AH as grade A+ because less fits in the same case...
instead 280AH EVE which are layered. Layered more foil and therfore more AH fits in the same case...they are optimised for max capacity= storage...but already 3mm penetration means internal short and cell swell, gas out and are dead.
Old 21-06-2024, 14:31   #109

Boat: 31ft tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
With lead, I need 2 big paralleled batteries , with eve 280ah lifepo4, I only need one. It makes no sense to have lead batteries for this task. As all my batteries are eve cells, I have built in redundancy in case of problems.
Of course this only works for those who build their own batteries.
The eve cells are only supposed to be discharged at 1C, so what will happen when I discharge at 4C…will they explode…will they get badly damaged, will they get out of balance, will they swell up, will they get a much shorter life.??
Yes, they might get a much shorter life, but they are good for 6000 cycles when all rules are obeyed, so who cares about cycles!!
The motor starts perfectly…
I would use Headway LifePO4 and make up a battery size you would be happy with using these. Don't be discouraged by the flat earthers on here saying this can't be done, just read spec sheets, try it nad prove them wrong. https://www.evlithium.com/Headway_Battery/898.html
Cowpoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2024, 04:03   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpoos View Post
I would use Headway LifePO4 and make up a battery size you would be happy with using these. Don't be discouraged by the flat earthers on here saying this can't be done, just read spec sheets, try it nad prove them wrong. https://www.evlithium.com/Headway_Battery/898.html
Well for a small boat with a small 3 cylinder diesel with a 700 or 900W starter thats a great alternative with a very light starter battery.
For a 3.5kw starter thats a huge amount of cells and work plus that many cells parallel causes a huge risk of imbalance and inline fuse between each cell would be necessary, huge effort.
Better use then 12 cells LTO 40AH yinglong in 2p6S, safer, cheaper, less effort and lifespan double or triple.
But well in his case i would just add the 280AH starter to the house bank in parallel and start from the house. Like this the 280AH capacity is used and not just sitting around unused, also floating a lifepo4 at 13.4/5V is still not favourable for lifespan, better it gets cycled.
Much less stress for the single cell as the load is spared by all cells/batteries in parallel, put LVC on 3.0V and connect the starter directly after the main fuse/shunt directly with a breaker to the house but before cut off relay. At 3.0V the BMS cuts all off but you still can start from house and at 3V to 2.5V you still have >40AH to start your engine. One start takes less then 1AH so you have more then enough in your bank for more then 40 starts.
That's what i have done too and is ISO complaint. The lowest my house ever was is 23% unless i do a full discharge on purpose for a capacity check and to newly calibrate SOC. I have a 40AH LTO buffer battery that can emergency start my engines too and due to cat a 2nd starter in the other hull which can start both engines.
Old 22-06-2024, 07:23   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpoos View Post
But they are a nice alternative for a 8AH buffer battery thats capable of 120A if the specs are correct. Would even beat LTO, hard to believe specs are correct or do you know anyone who can confirm them?
Old 22-06-2024, 09:12   #112

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I've been starting my 3 cylinder Volvo diesel from my single 200 aH bank with zero problems for 13 years.
About 2 years ago, I installed a 4th Generation NEEY smart balancer which works great.
It has NOTHING to do with discharge currents at all.
It just automatically balances between which cell is the highest to the lowest with charge/discharge current around 4 amps.
No big wiring needed.

Actually, I installed another one on my home's 24 volt 700 aH backup power bank with similar results.

Sun Tzu
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2024, 17:13   #113

What battery are you using? If diy, which BMS are you using?

I have a 4 cylinder 1.5 liter diesel in my boat. 1.2kW starter. I estimate I need 600a for a few milliseconds but I'm not sure yet. Will measure Peak inrush and then create a test setup and see how it goes

12v eve LF280K
JBD 200a BMS
Dorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2024, 18:00   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
I've been starting my 3 cylinder Volvo diesel from my single 200 aH bank with zero problems for 13 years.
About 2 years ago, I installed a 4th Generation NEEY smart balancer which works great.
It has NOTHING to do with discharge currents at all.
It just automatically balances between which cell is the highest to the lowest with charge/discharge current around 4 amps.
No big wiring needed.

Actually, I installed another one on my home's 24 volt 700 aH backup power bank with similar results.

I have a 4 cylinder 1.5 liter diesel in my boat. 1.2kW starter. I estimate I need 600a for a few milliseconds but I'm not sure yet. Will measure Peak inrush and then create a test setup and see how it goes

12v eve LF280K
JBD 200a BMS
Old 22-06-2024, 20:04   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorin View Post

12v eve LF280K
JBD 200a BMS
3 cylinder diesel needs less then 100A and max 250A peak which works well for a 200AH bank.

As it told you, your 1200W starter will use 300A max 350A peak, easy peasy for the 280AH EVE and ok for the 200A JBD. If you see 600A something is definitely wrong...take a lead and start the engine and measure with your fluke meter what current

As explained i would add an active balancer as the heavy peak draw throws off the balance of the cells and when discharging with 300A more and more goes on the weakest cell if this is not corrected by a balancer. So thats why you wanna have an active balancer that makes sure all is balanced so all cells see an equal load.
Old 22-06-2024, 20:41   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
3 cylinder diesel needs less then 100A and max 250A peak which works well for a 200AH bank.

As it told you, your 1200W starter will use 300A max 350A peak, easy peasy for the 280AH EVE and ok for the 200A JBD. If you see 600A something is definitely wrong...

As explained i would add an active balancer as the heavy peak draw throws off the balance of the cells and when discharging with 300A more and more goes on the weakest cell if this is not corrected by a balancer. So thats why you wanna have an active balancer that makes sure all is balanced so all cells see an equal load.
You must stop posting false information.
Old 23-06-2024, 05:17   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorin View Post
You must stop posting false information.
Whats wrong info?

Tags
engine, lifepo4