Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2023, 23:28   #91

Boat: Privilege 435
Re: Starting a big diesel with lifepo4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
To measure the surge and spike you need a oscilloscope, forget what you measured with a current clamp.

The D1-30 as well as D2 have a 2000W starter, so average is 180A but surge is around 450-500A for some ms and then gets to about 300A for another 1/2 sec, thats what your clamp meter measured.

Forget paralleling, just throw the lead out and connect it to your service, BMS and cells can handle that. Put LCV at 3.0V and you have always enough AH left to start that little engine. Wanna do better get another 4 cell and BMS and raise bank to 600AH, so you have 3 batteries and eg can start the engine, for all 3 parallel its piece of cake.

By paralleling you stressing the LFP additionally as current will flow from LFP to lead and starter b because when lead drops in voltage the LFP is supporting and at the same time deliver the juice for the starter.
2nd throw the megafuses out and replace with class T or NH fuses, in a LFP bank short they will be arced=useless.
For LFP main battery fuse you MUST use clas T or NH, nothing else
The LA doesn’t accept much support in this case. The monitor doesn’t register much in the way of amps flowing into the LA. I’ll test it with proper equipment the next time I can remember to see if there really is a spike we don’t see, but the LA will only accept so much.

We have been using the parallel method (LA-LFP with ignition on) for almost 5 years now.
Old 05-12-2023, 23:39   #92
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bavaria Match35
Re: Starting a big diesel with lifepo4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
You should check the specs of the Daly BMS. Depending on the specific 150A model, the 150A rating is continuous, with a max intermittent discharge of 500A. A good friend of mine has been using a 100A Daly for several years with his windlass. No problems.
Do you have a link to access Dally Bms charecteristics? I found the information on the İnternet in the past, but I could not find it again.
SOLAR SUPPORT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, lifepo4