Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2023, 15:03   #31

Boat: Chris Craft Dory 22'
Re: Super capacitors for starting, bowthruster, and windlass circuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcouz View Post
Nope, not even the same book!

The capacitor bank that I built was to start a diesel engine with 24V starter - I used 10 caps in series to give a full charge rating of 27V,.

Ahh, sorry about that the old series vs parallel circuitry.
NNBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 12:56   #32

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngmayo View Post
Has anyone tried adding the cheap supercapacitors in the in-rush circuits of the starter, bowthruster, or windlass to reduce strain on the batteries?

something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Farad-Capacit...737091&sr=8-15

I've had eight 100 amp battleborn batteries system for 4-5 years without issue on a previous boat (I know they now suggest only 4 parallels and battery balancing and no inrush now. Years ago there was never all this guidance). I'm looking to do better (cheap Chinese Lipo4 and four larger batteries)on next boat so was curious.

Another side note, I'm honestly confused how the capacitor balancing circuit board could handle the large current for even a short time, but am curious if anyone has tried.
thanks!

Thanks!
Simply use LTO batteries, they do 10C charge and discharge and you avoid all the hassles with supercapacitors.
I had a bowtruster for an 18m ship on my previous 12m longkeeler ketch (installed by former owner) and while it was awesome to have a bowtruster that even pulls the boat against 40kn of wind it needed 1500A and more startup current and inrush too and even top notch 420AH of lead withstand that for only a year…more didn’t fit in the battery compartment…so LTO was the only choice.
320AH 15V bank made out of 72x 40AH Yinglong LTO cells 12p6S config work like a charm and served as house bank too.
30000cycles, safest battery type commercially available and price equivalent to supercapacitors.
LTO is the perfect chemistry for boats with timely limited high current draw but otherwise moderate overall AH capacity required.
A 40AH LTO bank can already provide enough amps to start a 100hp diesel, operate a descent bowtruster and support the induction hob for electric cooking (unless you do longterm Simmering etc.). Have a 120AH bank and you can do all this at the same time…no other chemistry can do this.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 17:33   #33

Boat: Caliber 47 LRC SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Simply use LTO batteries, they do 10C charge and discharge and you avoid all the hassles with supercapacitors.
I had a bowtruster for an 18m ship on my previous 12m longkeeler ketch (installed by former owner) and while it was awesome to have a bowtruster that even pulls the boat against 40kn of wind it needed 1500A and more startup current and inrush too and even top notch 420AH of lead withstand that for only a year…more didn’t fit in the battery compartment…so LTO was the only choice.
320AH 15V bank made out of 72x 40AH Yinglong LTO cells 12p6S config work like a charm and served as house bank too.
30000cycles, safest battery type commercially available and price equivalent to supercapacitors.
LTO is the perfect chemistry for boats with timely limited high current draw but otherwise moderate overall AH capacity required.
A 40AH LTO bank can already provide enough amps to start a 100hp diesel, operate a descent bowtruster and support the induction hob for electric cooking (unless you do longterm Simmering etc.). Have a 120AH bank and you can do all this at the same time…no other chemistry can do this.

thanks! I've never heard of LTO available commercially. now I have some research to do!

https://www.amazon.com/Power-66160-2...s%2C136&sr=8-1
ngmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 07:20   #34

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngmayo View Post
thanks! I've never heard of LTO available commercially. now I have some research to do!

https://www.amazon.com/Power-66160-2...s%2C136&sr=8-1
Avaliable since 10 years and used eg in space shuttle...

Suggest to get Yinglong 40AH LTO cells, thats what they produce beside 30AH version. All other is derated 2nd choice in best case...
40AH is best value for money. Take 6 cells, keep them between 2V and 2,6V per cell and add an active balancer. Ready is your starter+backup house with 30000cycles, >30year lifespan...drop in and forget, never have to care about your starter again.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windlass