Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2023, 15:11   #1

tired of replacing light bulbs

I have probably 20 lightbulbs in the cabin, and it seems like I'm replacing one of them a month, maybe more. I use various types, whatever the previous owner had stocked up on. I think there are a mix of xenon, halogen, and LED's. I've read somewhere that the life of bulbs is related to the voltage, with higher voltages giving exponentially less life. My battleborn batteries are most often between 13 and 13.7 volts, with occasional (not frequent) trips up to 14.5.

Has anyone installed a 12V regulator for the light circuits, to step any high voltages down slightly? Recommend a product?

If this problem is real, it would be worth a couple hours to install a regulator if it means 10x less frequent bulb changes, for example.
markxengineerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 15:14   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50
Re: tired of replacing light bulbs

Buy bulbs rated 12-24v then they will come with an internal reg !
Old 02-01-2023, 18:15   #3

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Better quality LEDs usually come with built-in voltage regulation. Cheap ones generally don't, only have resistors to limit current and are prevalent to early burnout due to over voltages.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 18:32   #4

Old xenon and halogen bulbs burn out often. And they are a waste of battery power. I’d switch everything to LED and then see how you are doing.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 06:02   #5

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by markxengineerin View Post
I have probably 20 lightbulbs in the cabin, and it seems like I'm replacing one of them a month, maybe more. I use various types, whatever the previous owner had stocked up on. I think there are a mix of xenon, halogen, and LED's. I've read somewhere that the life of bulbs is related to the voltage, with higher voltages giving exponentially less life. My battleborn batteries are most often between 13 and 13.7 volts, with occasional (not frequent) trips up to 14.5.

Replace all your bulbs with quality LEDs rated for 10-30VDC.

One source is marinebeam.com.

-Chris
Old 03-01-2023, 07:45   #6
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

Some bulbs are designed for a fairly regulated 12 volts that you might find in home lighting systems. The 12V voltage on a boat varies widely from 10V when starting the engine, winch, etc. to nearly 16 volts when equalizing. Thus as people have said, get bulbs rated for 12 to 24V for important fixtures, those you use most frequently, and those that are hard to replace. You can use the cheap bulbs in places you rarely use.
Also, heat is a killer of lights. Most LEDs run cool, but some of the cheap ones get hot, and if they are in a tiny fixture they can self destruct quickly.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 08:31   #7

Thanks for the replies- I still prefer the light from the older style bulbs, and wasting battery is not too much of a concern- plenty of solar power available. I will get through the massive amount of spare bulbs I already have then look for ones with a wider input voltage range.
markxengineerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 11:49   #8

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Thanks for the replies- I still prefer the light from the older style bulbs, and wasting battery is not too much of a concern- plenty of solar power available. I will get through the massive amount of spare bulbs I already have then look for ones with a wider input voltage range.
LEDs today are available in different color temperatures. Incandescent lamps are usually 2700 Kelvin - very yellow to my eye. Shop around and get what you want in LED.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 05:12   #9

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Yep, LEDs come in various color temperatures. 2700K (up to around 3000K) are generally equivalent to typical household incandescent lights.

-Chris
Old 05-01-2023, 08:17   #10

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

As others have said, and you proposed in the OP, voltage is the cause I believe. I never found a way to prevent this issue with halogen bulbs, but after switching to LEDs I discovered that you need to look for LEDs which are advertised as "dimmable" - ie. works with a "dimmer" switch. This is their way of saying that the LED can handle variable voltage input, at least, this is what I read somewhere, once. The dimmable LEDs I've bought lately seem to be lasting much longer.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 09:36   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbigel View Post
As others have said, and you proposed in the OP, voltage is the cause I believe. I never found a way to prevent this issue with halogen bulbs, but after switching to LEDs I discovered that you need to look for LEDs which are advertised as "dimmable" - ie. works with a "dimmer" switch. This is their way of saying that the LED can handle variable voltage input, at least, this is what I read somewhere, once. The dimmable LEDs I've bought lately seem to be lasting much longer.
All Light Emitting Diodes are dimmable but modules with there own internal regulators are not !
Old 07-01-2023, 11:38   #12

Quote:
Has anyone installed a 12V regulator for the light circuits, to step any high voltages down slightly? Recommend a product?
You will either need a buck/boost DC-DC regulator or a "low dropout" regulator that switches to pass-thru when the available voltage drops below 12v.

Add up the wattage ratings of all your incandescant DC bulbs. Divide by 12... and that gives you a current rating. So how you have enough info to go shopping for a lighting regulator.
Old 07-01-2023, 12:30   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Instllalled 20 LED's from Ikea (threw away their transformer and wired direct) 11 years ago for $10ea. I modified several other lights to accept the Ikea "puck" lights. Have never had an issue with them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ikea led.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	269665  
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2023, 12:45   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
Buy bulbs rated 12-24v then they will come with an internal reg !
Absolutely

These have on board PWM circuitry and operate without radio interference. Marine Beam or IMTRA replacement bulbs. Do not buy automotive (NAPA or other) replacements. I have never replaced one of these and we have over 50 installed.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 16:45   #15

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

https://bedazzledledlighting.co.uk/p...al-16-led-red/

https://bedazzledledlighting.co.uk/p...ba15d-adaptor/

On Battleborn batteries 8~9 years no issues. I’m in the US. Shipping took a minute, but I’m happy. I saved the old incandescent bulbs for spares.
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote