Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2019, 11:54   #136

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Trojan lithium drop in replacement

John, would Zap Stop or Safety Diodes work to save the alternators diodes? We've had ours on our Balmar for over 20 years, but I don't know if it's seen a problem.

Thanks MiTiempo, I will have to find those diagrams.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 12:40   #137

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/w...a_99269665.png

So it appears the alternator is connected to the FLA backup battery, along with the regulator wiring, and there is a device like an ACR that is adjustable connecting the LiFePo?

How does that really moniter the LiFePo the way everyone has been discussing? It really does not have the smarts to shut off at the right time. I really don't get it.

This one uses a BMV

https://community.victronenergy.com/...and-setup.html
Old 28-07-2019, 13:04   #138
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

There are several schematics in Victron's marine catalog starting on page 93.
https://www.victronenergy.com/suppor...oads/brochures
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 15:39   #139

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Victron have their 'battery protect' product, but it seems to work the opposite way. That is, it disconnects loads when the voltage gets too low, not disconnects charging source when the voltage gets to high.

I'm sure they have something else suitable but I could spot it on their products page.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 17:09   #140
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
John, would Zap Stop or Safety Diodes work to save the alternators diodes?
Yes. I understand this is equivalent

http://www.balmar.net/product/regula...tector-tsp-12/

My advice is design so you don't need it - hard-wire a battery.

Then if you want one it's just belt & suspenders
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 17:11   #141
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
Victron have their 'battery protect' product, but it seems to work the opposite way. That is, it disconnects loads when the voltage gets too low, not disconnects charging source when the voltage gets to high.

I'm sure they have something else suitable but I could spot it on their products page.
aka an LVC.

Ideally adjustable to the "importance" of the load

but yes nothing to do with the topic at hand
Old 28-07-2019, 17:24   #142
cruiser

Quote:
a device like an ACR that is adjustable connecting the LiFePo?

How does that really moniter the LiFePo the way everyone has been discussing? It really does not have the smarts to shut off at the right time. I really don't get it.
Obviously there are dozens of reasons to monitor the various parameters.

Monitoring is very different from control.

Figure out the device PN, then RTFM, maybe deep dive into Victron's community and blogs, if you need more.

They have multiple overlapping coverage of excellent functionality, distributed across different devices that interoperate using different comms protocols.

Compared to other vendors, very "open", a long deep study would be rewarding.

but they do not give cookbook howtos on replicating their architecture using arduinos and $10 cheap chinese gadgets.

Finally, BMS-style protection usually does not entail charge termination. It is there for when the charge source regulator circuitry fails.
Old 28-07-2019, 21:13   #143

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post

The BP220 etc can be used in this mode as in HVC. The schematics for it are the last one figure 5, p6 of the BP manual.

However most people would use Victron Argo FET Battery Isolators in this application.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 00:43   #144

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

i use a BMV712 programmed to connect and disconnect the LFP based on user defined SOC by a ML-RBS solenoid from legacy sources like alternators and old shore power chargers, the start battery remains connected all the time, no ACR or whatsoever, but there are isolation diodes from the factory to prevent reverse current from house to start batteries. check out my LFP installallation thread for details.
Old 29-07-2019, 05:12   #145

Catnewbee, you must be watching the BMV712 quite a lot. Does it work the way you want it to work? IE sense battery state closely enough to shut power off to the lifepo when you want it to shut off? Or is this more of an approximate thing?

I thought Victron had removed this ability to control in the BMV.

It seems to me that the BMS would be more knowledgeable about when to shut off, so why isn't that controlling?
Old 29-07-2019, 12:10   #146

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Catnewbee, you must be watching the BMV712 quite a lot. Does it work the way you want it to work? IE sense battery state closely enough to shut power off to the lifepo when you want it to shut off? Or is this more of an approximate thing?

It seems to me that the BMS would be more knowledgeable about when to shut off, so why isn't that controlling?
The BMV works fine, you need to program it correctly to sync when the battery is considered full to your liking, I drop the legacy chargers early at 95% SOC, so no danger at all, the BMV counts the Ah in and out quite well. I could have used the digital outputs of the BMS to control charging, but I prefer to dtop the old chargers earlier and leave the opto coupler signals to control the Quattro only.

The usage of the BMV is more versatile than the BMS., because the settings there affect the synchronization and SOC and SOH calculations, you do not want to tamper settings to just stop legacy chargeers earlier. With the BMV you can programm charging to any desired range.
Old 29-07-2019, 13:20   #147
cruiser

Quote:
What they removed was the ability to trigger the contactor based on (acceptance amps at the end of the charge cycle trailing down to) endAmps.
Old 29-07-2019, 17:28   #148
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

What I did was: keep my 100 A/H lead acid battery. Connect my LFP battery in parallel through a simple BMS that isolates the LFP when it has reached 80% SOC (counting amp/hours in and out) for charge termination, and disconnects it when its terminal voltage falls to 12.8 volts (about 20% SOC) during discharge. With that arrangement, I didn't have to make any modifications to my charging methods.

I am suspicious of the (costlier) drop-ins. Especially those that can't be opened to test individual cell voltages. I have individual prismatic cells instead (at about half the cost).
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 18:04   #149
cruiser

A bit more rocket-scientist appropriate version 8-)
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/....php?p=2912920
Old 29-07-2019, 22:09   #150

I installed two of these 92 ah Trojan Trillium batteries. Only been using them for a week, but really happy with them, and have been cruising during this time. Using a Mastervolt Mass Combi charger / inverter, Victron solar controller, and AGM starter battery connected to the stock 3GM30F 55 amp alternator with a Blue Seas remote battery switch controlled by a czone system that combines the battery banks when the alternator is charging and separates them when it is not charging.

If I upgrade my alternator, I will connect it directly to the Trillium bank, and use a Mastervolt regulator to match a LFP charging profile.
Steve Lavigne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men