Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2018, 06:07   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Re: Trojan lithium drop in replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood View Post

The poison is that the "drop-in" moniker will lead people to buy first, and read the fine print later, and we know how much time people spend reading fine print. I expect most buyers will assume no action is required WRT the rest of their power system, and off they will go.

I fear it will all end badly 3 to 5 years from now, and give LFP a really bad name.

That fear is already a reality in far too many installations. The ruined drop in on our bench right now has less than 250 cycles (based on the owners best guesses) and we were flat out told by the manufacturer to tell the customer to stop using it immediately. (discharge graph looked like shark teeth with voltage all over the place)

What was never accounted for in this install was an alternator that was set at 14.6V and delivered that to the LFP RV battery continuously, even after the battery was already full.

What seems to be misunderstood is that the BMS systems on most of these drop-ins are catastrophe level protection only, not a cycle life optimized BMS...

I suspect Trojan will have a bit of a time when folks start using alternators at up to 14.8V and chargers that deliver 14.8V with 4 hour absorption or longer because they use a bulk X multiplier to figure out absorption duration.

The other drop in and LFP folks are already starting to see this and have re-written manuals and lowered recommended voltages accordingly.

On one hand it seems Trojan has done their homework.. CAN-bus external coms, 300A continuous contactor rating, 1C charging, cell temp protection and cold weather charging guidance are all excellent. On the other hand it would appear they did very little home work on the optimizing cycle life side..

Making a 5000 cycle life claim is certainly bold. To do this while also suggesting 14.8V charging, using lead acid chargers, one could hazard a pretty good guess that the cycling data they used to determine this cycle life claim had zero or almost no absorption time.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:40   #32
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes Trojan got very hype-markety wrt their AGM line, to the point that their overall reputation as a company declined in my eyes.

I've heard they will depart that business? Maybe will look to LFP to replace it.

That 5000 cycle claim is indeed very interesting - and positive - but as you say could not be reached taking the Drop-In credo literally with automotive style dumb charge sources.

And yes, when published, their warranty policy fine print may reveal more sensible care requirements.

Perhaps really help educate consumers on LFP House bank usage, rather than just parroting the specs inherited from the industry's dominant military / EV paradigms.

If the internal BMS is **logging** V&A charge/discharge history over time, they could actually be very generous in warranty policy, for those with decent gear, doing a good job at following reco protocols,

And for those **not** following their care specs, much shorter / harsher warranty policies, so the company doesn't get put out of business from the heedless abusers who don't RTFM.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:03   #33

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

The labeling and the brochure says Lithium Ion. The data sheet says Lithium Iron Phosphate.

Is "Lithium Iron Phosphate" LiFePO4?

Is "Lithium Ion" LiFePO4?

-Chris
Old 05-11-2018, 08:23   #34

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
The labeling and the brochure says Lithium Ion. The data sheet says Lithium Iron Phosphate.

-Chris
Yes, and sometimes.

There are many different battery chemistries that fall under the "lithium ion" banner, with Lithium Iron Phosphate, LiFePO4 for short, being just one of them. LiFePO4 is one of the safest lithium battery chemistries out there, at the expense of energy density. So perhaps not quite as energy dense as some of the cells used in mobile phones, cars, and aircraft, but much less risk of fire or other hazardous events. For the harsh marine environment, this is very important.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:35   #35
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post

-Chris

To keep it simple:

Lithium Batteries - Non-rechargeable

Lithium-Ion Batteries - Rechargeable

Under the Li-Ion umbrella lie all the rechargeable varying Li-Ion chemistries including LiFePO4...

Trojan is apparently using 26650 (26mm X 65mm) format LiFePO4 cylindrical cells.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:45   #36
cruiser

Lithium Ion is the umbrella term, includes dozens of very different chemistries including the ones famous for exploding.

LFP & LiFePO4 are more specific, and do not explode.

Generally speaking includes also slight variations like Winston's ytrium doped "LYP".
Old 05-11-2018, 08:47   #37
cruiser

Many cheaper vendors especially Amazon market / eBay / alibaba etc lie about what's inside their powerpak / drop-in batt.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:42   #38

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran

Interesting option as I'm looking at new batteries.. wonder what the price will be and if they really will be drop-in..

Trojan T-105: 260(L) x 181(W) x 281(H)
Trillium 12.8-92: 259(L) x168(W) x216(H)
Trillium 12.8-110:307(L) x168(W) x221(H)

Trojan T-105: 225 (20HR)
Trillium 12.8-92: 92.5(20HR)
Trillium 12.8-110: 111(20HR)

Trojan T-105: 28 Kg
Trillium 12.8-92: 27 Kg
Trillium 12.8-110: 30 Kg

Note: T-105 are 6V, Trillium are 12V.
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:15   #39

Boat: Hylas 49

I spoke to the local ReLion dealer at the boat show">Annapolis Boat show. He said they were drop-ins, but when I asked about my alternator he said "you'll need an external regulator like the Balmar 614". I guess drop in is not turn-key!
I hope to get several more years out of my house bank. I hope to benefit from the mistakes of the early adopters.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:31   #40

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
I spoke to the local ReLion dealer at the Annapolis Boat show. He said they were drop-ins, but when I asked about my alternator he said "you'll need an external regulator like the Balmar 614". I guess drop in is not turn-key!
I hope to get several more years out of my house bank. I hope to benefit from the mistakes of the early adopters.
You'd have to change the alt setting if going from FLA to Gel or AGM.... how is this different?

Matt
Old 05-11-2018, 11:58   #41

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
I spoke to the local ReLion dealer at the Annapolis Boat show. He said they were drop-ins, but when I asked about my alternator he said "you'll need an external regulator like the Balmar 614". I guess drop in is not turn-key!
Anyone not running an externally regulated alternator on a boat is looking for trouble. Having to change settings is pretty straightforward, no different than if you switched from FLA to AGM. By "drop-in", they mean that you don't have to completely redesign your system around the battery bank, as you would if rolling your own with a (semi) custom BMS. All the low- and high-voltage protection is built into each individual battery.

One thing that is encouraging is the the design and development (they do not say anything about manufacturing) is US-based. I looked at their jobs website, and it looks like the engineering team is based in Georgia. Someone else mentioned it, and I too am curious why only the 92Ah battery has CAN communications built in. Other than getting data and setting parameters, this would also provide a way to update the BMS firmware if/when any bugs are found. It would be nice if there were a marine-specific mode in the firmware so that the batteries could connect to a NMEA 2000 network (N2K is built on top of CAN).
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 13:15   #42

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Yes, and sometimes.

There are many different battery chemistries that fall under the "lithium ion" banner, with Lithium Iron Phosphate, LiFePO4 for short, being just one of them. LiFePO4 is one of the safest lithium battery chemistries out there, at the expense of energy density.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
To keep it simple:
Lithium Batteries - Non-rechargeable
Lithium-Ion Batteries - Rechargeable

Under the Li-Ion umbrella lie all the rechargeable varying Li-Ion chemistries including LiFePO4...
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Lithium Ion is the umbrella term, includes dozens of very different chemistries including the ones famous for exploding.

LFP & LiFePO4 are more specific, and do not explode.

Thanks, all.

-Chris
Old 05-11-2018, 13:39   #43
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

One thing that is encouraging is the the design and development (they do not say anything about manufacturing) is US-based.

I spoke with one of the engineers at Trojan today. Cells are made under contract, in China, to Trojan specifications and the rest is currently being built here.

Quote:
Someone else mentioned it, and I too am curious why only the 92Ah battery has CAN communications built in.
This is because approx 80% of Trojans golf business is in 48V systems and the G24 format is a drop-in foot-print for the GC2 format. They did not say the G27 CAN-bus was not going to happen, only that it is only going to be in G24 for the initial launch.

Quote:
Other than getting data and setting parameters, this would also provide a way to update the BMS firmware if/when any bugs are found. It would be nice if there were a marine-specific mode in the firmware so that the batteries could connect to a NMEA 2000 network (N2K is built on top of CAN).
We discussed all that, and more, this is all stuff that may happen down the road. They are trying to launch this at pricing levels comparable to other "drop-ins" such as Relion. Warranty is also supposed to be what I would consider good but, this is not set in stone yet, so I won't mention what I was told because it could change....

Shipping for some models may begin as early as early as late November or early December and pricing should be solidified within the next few weeks.

I will have to wait and see how pricing is on the G24 because I won't be using the G27 until it features external communication. Oh and internal components are conformally coated and each cell end gets six spot welds or 12 welds per cell.
Old 05-11-2018, 14:00   #44

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I spoke with one of the engineers at Trojan today. Cells are made under contract, in China, to Trojan specifications and the rest is currently being built here.

This is because approx 80% of Trojans golf business is in 48V systems and the G24 format is a drop-in foot-print for the GC2 format. They did not say the G27 CAN-bus was not going to happen, only that it is only going to be in G24 for the initial launch.

We discussed all that, and more, this is all stuff that may happen down the road. They are trying to launch this at pricing levels comparable to other "drop-ins" such as Relion. Warranty is also supposed to be what I would consider good but, this is not set in stone yet, so I won't mention what I was told because it could change....

Shipping for some models may begin as early as early as late November or early December and pricing should be solidified within the next few weeks.

I will have to wait and see how pricing is on the G24 because I won't be using the G27 until it features external communication. Oh and internal components are conformally coated and each cell end gets six spot welds or 12 welds per cell.
I can't wait for you to hopefully do a write up and review on your website!
Old 05-11-2018, 17:51   #45
cruiser

I think it's great the Relion rep was honest about the external VR being required.

The big issue with LFP is not just V setpoints, but the very high-CAR endangering the alt.

Also for lead, those not wanting to upfit their alt setup can opt to choose a model batt for House that is already suited for the voltage it puts out.

Let the starter be the buffer and take House offline once fully charged, if concerned about it overcharging.

Tags
men