Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2020, 13:52   #1

Use stupid ac/dc adapter as charge source

My shore power charger is a Cristec 40A charger. It is connected to my sterling alt-bat charger which then supplies the charging for my 200ah lifepo4 bank. Works ok but this setup only supplies 24-25A at most to the Lifepo4 and the Cristec is going from boost to no-boost and lowers the voltage which actually stops the charging completely (the sterling wants >13,5v to charge.) I also want to be able to speed charge the batteries when stopping at a dock for shopping or water filling etc. I also want to be able to start my Honda10 and charge at max for an hour.

To achieve the above I am thinking of doing two things:

1. Change the boost/cycle setup on the Cristec to be just a constant Voltage of something like 14. No stages.

2. Add a simple ad/dc adapter in parallel with the Cristec into the sterling.

I have ordered a Mean Well PSP-600-13-5

40A 13,5 V one like this:

https://www.elfa.se/Web/Downloads/sp/ec/psp-600-spec.pdf?pid=${product.code}

and plan to set the output to something above 13,5v to satisfy the Sterling.

Combined the two should give me like 65-70A charge current which fully charge my bank in like less than 3 hours from empty. It should also be possible for the 1kw Honda to manage. If it’s successful I might buy one more and put in parallel to have 110A if needed.

Any comments or thoughts of this setup? Anyone tried it already? I don’t see the point of buying an expensive battery charger when I already have a device with a lifepo4 “program”. The ac/dc thing was like 150 euro and that’s like 1/4 of a charger with the same capacity.
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 13:16   #2

Now I tested the ac/dc adapter it gives me 65A together with the Cristec. Exactly what I wanted. Haven’t tried it with the Honda yet but will do that tomorrow.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1477.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	215405 Hopefully the Honda eu10 can manage the 900w continues draw
Old 20-05-2020, 06:56   #3

Tried the setup today again. I had some load on the battery bank over night so the lifepo4 was “hungry” when I connected the power today. It worked great for like 45 minutes. The new ac/dc transformer put out like 40A just like it’s rated for. The batteries gladly accepted 62A charge. But then it suddenly stopped with a burned smell.... now I can’t get it to work again. It was suppose to have a over temp alarm that you could reset by power on but this doesn’t work either. Have the lifepo4 put an overload on it and destroyed it? Any thought?