Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2024, 09:58   #31

Re: Victron DVCC share voltage doesn't work with my 3 victron 50/100 MPPTs

Selecting which device is the voltage authority is separate from DVCC. For DVCC to work, there needs to be a BMS that is broadcasting DVCC messages to the GX and any other devices in that Canbus that need to be controlled. Is your BMS doing that?
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 10:04   #32

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood View Post
Selecting which device is the voltage authority is separate from DVCC. For DVCC to work, there needs to be a BMS that is broadcasting DVCC messages to the GX and any other devices in that Canbus that need to be controlled. Is your BMS doing that?
DVCC works without a BMS talking to the Cerbo. It even works with lead batteries, just not with all of the features. My current setup still has AGMs in it and the Cerbo has no problem using DVCC to provide battery temperature, current, etc. from the SmartShunt to the Multiplus and the MPPTs. What it doesn't do is sync up the charge algorithm between the Multiplus and the MPPTs, but that's fine if they're all configured well (and I think the MPPT charge algorithm is better for lead batteries anyway compared to the one in the Multiplus).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2024, 03:27   #33

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

This sounds pretty complicated to me. Remind me please. Why do I want CerboGX in the system? Is it the only way to control the chargers from the BMS?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2024, 05:28   #34
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
This sounds pretty complicated to me. Remind me please. Why do I want CerboGX in the system? Is it the only way to control the chargers from the BMS?
It is what I warn against all the time: people get misguided and want everything integrated at a level that is a magnet for bugs and problems, potentially leaving one stranded far away from help with no way out.

The BMS should not control the chargers. If you really really want it because it’s your “precious” then lock in to 100% Victron incl. the batteries, everything.

If you have chargers that can be programmed for the correct LFP settings (being conservative and not charging to the maximum) and this throws your batteries into a HVC then something is wrong with the batteries that no control cable will fix.

If you wish protection for the alternator then stop charging from the alternator earlier. A simple relay controlled by SOC% from a battery monitor will do that.

Stop wasting money and time, go sailing and prep the boat for the future instead of utopia

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2024, 07:49   #35

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
The Cerbo adds a bunch of functionality to the system beyond DVCC. It also gives you logging, remote monitoring (including inputs to monitor things beyond your power system), ability to automate certain functions if using Node Red, etc.

Personally, I've found the logging useful, as I can look back at a period of time when we're cruising and figure out our average power use per day and stuff like that.

I've also used one of the digital inputs to tie in to the bilge alarm, so if we ever get a high water condition while off the boat, I'll get an alert to my phone and know about it right away. Same for high or low temperature alerts based on sensors in the salon and engine room.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 04:16   #36

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

And here the proof (beside it also stated in the manual of the BP220): thats the victron reference diagram for the victron VE Bus BMS that has it exactly wired like i have it with BP220 disconnecting the charge bus
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...istributor.pdf
That was sent by mvader from victron how to wire it and stated to enable DVCC and Voltage share. And exactly that i did as i was told and also here the BMV712 delivers also the battery data to Venus OS, exactly like i have it too. Ve-bus BMS is not connected to Venus OS it steers the multi via the VE Bus which puts the multi on the venus OS.
The VE Bus BMS works exactly like ElectrodacusBMS with steering via the remotes (except of the multi via ve bus direct) and was developed with support from Electrodacus founder Dacian Todeo. Same the Victron smart BMS. But that has nothing to do as the BMS is completely seperate ( so it can be VE Bus BMs or smart BMS or electrodacus BMS as BMV712 delivers battery data and not interfering in any way with the victron installation.

I connect it now to a lead battery with BMV712, 1 Mppt and multi + cerbo...no DVCC and no voltage share working. Again absolute standard victron config.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 08:58   #37
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

OP:
Quote:
My issue that the 3x 50/100MPPT only have one VE-direct port and connect that to cerbo to get data for monitoring but I also need to cut all 3 off with a battery protect when lithium is full.
It appears that the Cerbo cannot "see" the MPPTs because two of them are not connected. You will need three VE.Direct to USB interfaces, one for each MPPT (https://www.victronenergy.com/access...-usb-interface
and a powered USB hub with three USB input ports. The USB hub port connects to one of the Cerbo GX USB ports.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 10:05   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieJ View Post
OP:

It appears that the Cerbo cannot "see" the MPPTs because two of them are not connected. You will need three VE.Direct to USB interfaces, one for each MPPT (https://www.victronenergy.com/access...-usb-interface
and a powered USB hub with three USB input ports. The USB hub port connects to one of the Cerbo GX USB ports.
I have the uart 4 to 1 from duppa
https://www.duppa.net/shop/isolated-...v=04c19fa1e772
Well tested by a lot to work flawlessly with victron and cerbo. Like this i just need to route one usb cable to cerbo for 4 VE-direct and cheaper then 4 Victron VE direct cables
All shielded and galvanically isolated. They also show with a differnet colour if something is wrong in communication. Much better solution then with powered usb hub.
Andy from Offgrid garage using them too for his 4xMPPT and 3 smartshunts in his system with DVCC working

Cerbo sees all devices and presents all data from BMV and from 3xMPPT, 1 phönix smart 1/1/50 and 1 Multi.
Data is 100% inline what is shown in BT connect and what ican measure with a multimeter.

But i checked a total simple setup
1x cerbo,
1x MPPT mit original ve-direct cable an cerbo
1x BMV712 mit original ve direct and
1x multi mit VE bus.
Nothing else connected. No BP220 to disconnect are other stuff. All standard, all original victron stuff and well
DVCC and voltage share still not working....
BmV 13.4V, MPPT 13.25V, Multi 13.3V
Instead the original Ve direct then duppa, no change.
Old 10-03-2024, 14:39   #39
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OP:
What kind of batteries do you have? Are they compatible with the Victron eco-system? Check the Battery Compatibility List on the Victron site.

Quote:
For CAN-bus connected batteries, check the relevant page on the Battery Compatibility manual to see if enabling DVCC has been tested with your battery type and is supported. If DVCC is not mentioned in notes relating to your battery, do not enable DVCC.
I am confused about what BMS you have installed and also what role the Electrodacus plays in your system. Their website calls them a solar BMS.
Quote:
Solar BMS (Solar Battery Management System) is a solar charge controller designed to replace the Lead Acid solar charge controllers most people use today in Offgrid, RV, Boats and multiple other applications with 12V and 24V systems.
Old 16-03-2024, 20:47   #40

Quote:
OP:
What kind of batteries do you have? Are they compatible with the Victron eco-system? Check the Battery Compatibility List on the Victron site.

I am confused about what BMS you have installed and also what role the Electrodacus plays in your system. Their website calls them a solar BMS.
The victron system is BMV 712, 3x MPPT, 1x Multi,1x Smart Phönix 1/1/50 shore charger.
The BMV is or better should be the voltage authority but seems to be not used at such. The DVCC works like that also with lead batteries. Cerbo should simply synchronize the charge voltage across all charging devices, nothing else.

Cerbo is just for monitoring, it even doesn't know its LFP connected...nothing else.
The only thing cerbo needs to do is using via DVCC the BMV as reference voltage and send that to all charge sources to optimse charge (and side effect prevent the 3x MPPT from raising output voltage when cut off from BP220 and don't see battery voltage anymore).

BMS and LFP battery is completely seperated and work via remote ports.

Since new cerbo software release DVCC still don't work but the output voltage of the 3xMPPT only rises till 16.6V now which causes the BP220 now to only show overvoltage alarm but is not going into overvoltage lock anymore, means the BP220 can now still be switched on by remote=BMS like intended.
So something in voltage share is working in the background but i have no idea what and how.
Old 16-03-2024, 22:18   #41
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

CaptainRivet #40:
If you will answer my questions, I will try and help you.
Old 17-03-2024, 05:35   #42

Quote:
CaptainRivet #40:
If you will answer my questions, I will try and help you.
I have 4P4S 272AH Lishen cells DIY bank with a ElectrodacusBMS that is the spider in the web means it switches on and off also the charge source. Different philosophy so BMS is shutting off the MPPT via its remote when 3,58V is hit by a cell for 6 sek minimum (adjustable). The parameter in the MPPT are not used and are one of multiple line of defenses if the BMS fails (eg its not switching it off via remote because its remote cable is eg cut or shorted to ground so MPPT would stay on in this case).
Same then victron smart BMS or the VE-Bus BMS works steering all via remote ports the actual devices. The BMS is not connected to cerbo in any way and has is shunts on positve terminal. Nothing over can bus connected.

Completely seperated is the original cerbo connected to a BMV712 with the shunt on the negative terminal and being the reference for the cerbo. You can also use DVCC on a battery without a BMS (eg a lead or an LTO or LFP with a BMV712 as "BMS") where it can simply sync the voltage delivered by BMV, just connected to MPPTs, BMV and multi. thats how i basically use it. No can bus here at all.
Old 17-03-2024, 10:36   #43

Electrodacus is the BMS...it was originally design as BMS only controlling the electrodacus solar modules but then adavanced to a full BMS with a differnet philosophy being the spider in the web that controls all sources load and charge by its remotes of the devices instead of cutting the hot side with huge expensive and fail prone relays.
And the remote fubctions on all victron devices are tested to last >10years 7/24/365, so a very save and simple robust way of controlling all.
The only huge negative you cannot connect several in parallel so you need to make banks with parallel cells which i only recommend if you a)have real metricously resistance and capacity matched cells and b) the know how to deal with them.

Thats how i have it installed, identical to the VE-BUS BMS from victron, only difference the multi is connected via its aux1 and temp remote ports and not via VE BUS.
Ve Bus BMS and ElectrodacusBMS are identical in the way they steer the installation via remote.
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...istributor.pdf
Also here the BMV712 delivers the battery data to the cerbo like in my install and DVCC is used when the BP220 cuts the charge sources so the MPPT doesn'tgo haywire and raise voltage till BP220 goes into overvoltage lock because it doesn't see battery voltage anymore.
the VE Bus BMS cannot be steered via cerbo.
Old 17-03-2024, 14:36   #44
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Again, are your batteries compatible with the Victron eco-system as noted in the Victron Battery Compatibility list mentioned previously?
What parameters do the batteries communicate? Where does that information flow to?
Old 17-03-2024, 15:12   #45

Quote:
Again, are your batteries compatible with the Victron eco-system as noted in the Victron Battery Compatibility list mentioned previously?
What parameters do the batteries communicate? Where does that information flow to?
No they are not connected, BMS is not compatible
(the VE BuS BMS is also not compatible) and battery not compatible.
Batteries and BMS communicate nothing to cerbo.
Controlling BMS is set to: no BMS control

All parameters the BMV712 measures via its shunt on the negative terminal of the LFP bank and delivers via ve-direct into cerbo. Total battery voltage, SOC, current, AH used...
BMV 712 is set as battery monitor in cerbo and all parameters are 1:1 in cerbo as well as via BT connect. That due to victron mvader should make it automatically the reference for battery voltage and current. When DVCC is on due to manual 11.4 and 11.4.3 SVS shared voltage sense the voltage from a BMV is used and that battery voltage measured and communicated by BMV should be communicated via ve-direct to 3 MPPT and via ve bus to the victron multi as refernce voltage (means the MPPT doesn't measure what voltage is at the outputs, it get the voltage delivered by BMV) And this last part doesn't work as all 3 MPPT and Multi doesn't show the BMV reference voltage but a lower different per device voltage (which is equal to the voltage i measure with a volt meter at the terminals of the MPPTs and multi.
For this to work the BT connect network is off as it interferes with DVCC and ve bus is reseted.

Tags
mppt, Victron, work