Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2024, 15:52   #46

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Re: Victron DVCC share voltage doesn't work with my 3 victron 50/100 MPPTs

Due to Cerbo manual chapter 11.2 i run it as a gel or lead battery means it share voltage SVS (and if enabled STS and SCS which i haven't) with the MPPT but the MPPT uses its internal charge algorithm it is set to.

DVCC on:
If i use limit charge current that works. Charging with multi to 100A and the limit current to 50A it goes down to 50A. Disabling it and Multi goes back to 100A.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2024, 08:47   #47

Updated the 3 MPPTs and BMV as new version came out yesterday MPPT 1.6.2 to 1.6.3 and well a new set of Victron surprises appear:

1)DVCC suddenly started to work but only partly means switching off all 3 MPPT with the BP220 all 3 show now the BMV battery voltage in VRM devices and. bT connect readout BUT the BP220 still shows overvoltage but is not going into overvoltage lock anymore means the BMS can shut on the BP220 now when charge is allowed again. So MPPT show battery voltage at battery output but is not applying this to its charge management as the 3 MPPT physically still deliver up to 16.6V without any current. Means at least system is working now as intended and the BP220 is also 24V rated means I am not worried the 16.6V is harming it but getting the overvoltage warning sucks…and actually not trusting the cerbo at all here. Well the max can happen is that the BP220 cannot switch on the MPPT which I see quite quickly if that’s happening.

2) next strange thing is DVCC only works if I switch on the 2nd option „limit managed charge voltage“ which I set to 14,6V but again the 3 MPPT is not applying this managed 14,6V limit to the charge management of MPPT limiting the output as all 3 still send up to 16,6V out but show the 13.35V of the BMV as battery output

3) only 1 MPPT shows up in BT connect, the other disappeared but are present in VRM list device list and also operating as I can see. Update went through without problem. Tried to manually update again via VRM access to MPPT but it simply tells me it’s the newest update without the option to reinstall. How do I fix this now?

I am just so happy I have Electrodacus BMS completely seperate from the Venus OS patched together different standards software with meanwhile so many undocumented dependencies. It’s great for monitoring and doing home automation based on cerbo but having that unreliable nightmare interfere with my managed battery, no thank you!
What’s happening if it’s integrated you see at the other thread with bluenova batteries where Victron gone nuts…happy and was an explicit choice to have it completely separated.
If cerbo is working, don‘t update as long as you absolutely have to.

I will get a 3rd 100/50 smart, synchronize charge via BT with BMV. that works out of the box and also really reduce output of the MPPT to battery voltage when BP220 disconnects because battery is full and call this DVCC feature to f… itself.
The one without smart I will use for the foldable panels I have additional on anchor (came with the boat…small but extra 8A are extra 8 A) and shut it on/off via ve-direct remote adapter cable…that solar harvest is then not monitored…well I can live with that.
Old 20-03-2024, 09:00   #48
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

It sounds like you actually try to run it without batteries?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5302.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	390.1 KB
ID:	287837  

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2024, 09:24   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
It sounds like you actually try to run it without batteries?!
Then explain to me why it works via BT VE smart network to synchronize charge voltage and the MPPT sends out the battery voltage vom BMV but not via DVCC which should be far superior....everybody incl you told me to use DVCC, it can synch and optimize charge much better then via BT, till now it doesn’t.
At least DVCC sent finally out the volatge and MPPT receives it but doesn't apply it...
Its not my install thats wrong and i am using DVCC exactly as intended and its exactly connected like in the reference diagram of victron for the Ve-Bus BMS.
I am sure somewhere is missing a tickbox to enablenor disable and some undocumented dependencies prevent from applying the battery voltage...sure the update just reset the MPPT thats why its working now.
Why did the other MPPT disappear after update and didn't come back online on BT after update? How do i fix that?
Old 20-03-2024, 10:35   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Then explain to me why it works via BT VE smart network to synchronize charge voltage and the MPPT sends out the battery voltage vom BMV but not via DVCC which should be far superior....everybody incl you told me to use DVCC, it can synch and optimize charge much better then via BT, till now it doesn’t.
At least DVCC sent finally out the volatge and MPPT receives it but doesn't apply it...
Its not my install thats wrong and i am using DVCC exactly as intended and its exactly connected like in the reference diagram of victron for the Ve-Bus BMS.
I am sure somewhere is missing a tickbox to enablenor disable and some undocumented dependencies prevent from applying the battery voltage...sure the update just reset the MPPT thats why its working now.
Why did the other MPPT disappear after update and didn't come back online on BT after update? How do i fix that?
I never told you to use a mppt controller without a battery attached. It’s simply not engineered to do that.

You keep trying to do things wrong, demanding that it must work, while the rest of the world uses it correctly and has no trouble at all. Connect the battery.

Old 20-03-2024, 11:11   #51

Quote:
I never told you to use a mppt controller without a battery attached. It’s simply not engineered to do that.

You keep trying to do things wrong, demanding that it must work, while the rest of the world uses it correctly and has no trouble at all. Connect the battery.
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...istributor.pdf

Also victron and mvader tells me to do it like i have it. Attached the reference diagram exactly like i have it.
And sync via BT also works with MPPT disconnected.
So they don't need to be connected to battery when the MPPT receives the battery voltage via BT or Ve-Direct.
Via BT it works (but one is not smart) , via DVCC it should but doesn't. So why is DVCC not working??
It now partly works just me updating MPPT (was already on newest 1.6.2, so update was not the issue but solved it) due to all user told me it doesn't. But its not applying the voltage it receives via DVCC but via BT the same voltage works. Means via DVCC its the shared reference voltage now but the mppt doesn’t interpret its a managed voltage but via BT the same voltage is a managed voltage.
So which tickbox i have to tick or untick or whichbservice must be disabled because it interferes????

Who constantly tell me i am doing wrong install are some user here on victron forum.
Problem is victron/mvader is not answering whats wrong and all users telling me i installed wrong, which is not the case.
Old 20-03-2024, 12:06   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...istributor.pdf

Also victron and mvader tells me to do it like i have it. Attached the reference diagram exactly like i have it.
And sync via BT also works with MPPT disconnected.
So they don't need to be connected to battery when the MPPT receives the battery voltage via BT or Ve-Direct.
Via BT it works (but one is not smart) , via DVCC it should but doesn't. So why is DVCC not working??
It now partly works just me updating MPPT (was already on newest 1.6.2, so update was not the issue but solved it) due to all user told me it doesn't. But its not applying the voltage it receives via DVCC but via BT the same voltage works. Means via DVCC its the shared reference voltage now but the mppt doesn’t interpret its a managed voltage but via BT the same voltage is a managed voltage.
So which tickbox i have to tick or untick or whichbservice must be disabled because it interferes????

Who constantly tell me i am doing wrong install are some user here on victron forum.
Problem is victron/mvader is not answering whats wrong and all users telling me i installed wrong, which is not the case.
They have batteries.

Old 20-03-2024, 12:54   #53

Quote:
They have batteries.
I have batteries too. VE Bus BmS steers only the inverter via bus directly nothing else. Rest is exactly as electrodacus steered via remotes and battery data comes from BMV712 for the cerbo and as reference like i have it too. Thats also how mvader told me how it works.
Ve BUs BMS not on the list of compatible BMS for controlling via Venus OS.

Tags
mppt, Victron, work