Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2024, 09:55   #1

Boat: Leopard 40
Victron gone nuts!

two days ago I started getting a variety of strange and disturbing symtoms on the Victron system. First my battery percentage dropped from 70% mid afternoon to 17% at sunset with no unusual drains. I had noticed the low battery red light on, on the multi controller which brought this to my attention. I started the generator, 6kw, but it could't charge above 50% even after 4 hours. During charging I saw that my Victron CCGX started showing enormous DC power readings that varied between 6000w and 14000w. The system doesn't drain extra fast even with the crazy DC power readings but I still can only charge to 50% with the genset or solar during the day. They maintain the charge level when charging and even overnight I get a normal amount of battery drain, from the fridge and anchor light.
I talked to the Victron guys at Battery Giant here in Puerto Rico yesterday and they got on my system remotely but couldn't find the problem, They said they've never seen anything like this and suggested I talk to the battery mfg, Blue Nova. Boat was purchased just over a year ago and Nancy and I have been cruising continuously since. I don't know the age of the batteries or the Victron components and may not be able to find out because the previous owner had had a stroke and doesn't communicate well.
CruiserJann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 10:30   #2

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Re: Victron gone nuts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserJann View Post
two days ago I started getting a variety of strange and disturbing symtoms on the Victron system. First my battery percentage dropped from 70% mid afternoon to 17% at sunset with no unusual drains. I had noticed the low battery red light on, on the multi controller which brought this to my attention. I started the generator, 6kw, but it could't charge above 50% even after 4 hours. During charging I saw that my Victron CCGX started showing enormous DC power readings that varied between 6000w and 14000w. The system doesn't drain extra fast even with the crazy DC power readings but I still can only charge to 50% with the genset or solar during the day. They maintain the charge level when charging and even overnight I get a normal amount of battery drain, from the fridge and anchor light.
I talked to the Victron guys at Battery Giant here in Puerto Rico yesterday and they got on my system remotely but couldn't find the problem, They said they've never seen anything like this and suggested I talk to the battery mfg, Blue Nova. Boat was purchased just over a year ago and Nancy and I have been cruising continuously since. I don't know the age of the batteries or the Victron components and may not be able to find out because the previous owner had had a stroke and doesn't communicate well.

well my condolences that will be a hassle to troubleshoot...thats exactly why a simple and robust independent operation system is key and then on top you can put a complex victron monitoring with buses and do some home automation stuff for comfort. but if that monitoring goes mad, your system still works...

did you check if your devices are on the latest update...updated also to 3.22 and suddenly the cerbo monitoring screen missed a lot of info and showed also cracy stuff like a 220A load @12V was shown as 3400W with the same 220A by BMV712 battery monitor while my BMS showed correct 2400W.
After updating the BMV712 and power cyling (means reboot) cerbo it was back to normal. Still DVCC not working though.

that 50% charge limit sounds like the DVCC function gone wild on yours and shares a wrong voltage plus limit the charge to the battery. check if the DVCC is also controling the BMS, if so shut it off for BMS and see what happens, if nothing then the DVCC completly off and see what happens then.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 11:06   #3

I'm embarrassed to say that I have not got much knowledge of this system. The acronyms used and the interactions between the components make my head spin. I am game though and am looking at online information to help me get up to speed. My previous boat had very simple systems that I knew intimately.
This system has so many options described in the manuals and I don't know which options are installed on my system. I'm getting some help from the CCGX and I have remote VRM access to peak at settings etc. Once upon a time, in a land far away I had a computer career but have been out of that so long I am dangerous around a computer now.

It'll take me some time to locate the cerbo and I don't think I have a DVCC but I'm probably wrong about that.
I don't know, yet, how to access the DVCC, if there is one, to see if it's controlling the BMS. I have Blue Nova batteries with built in BMS.
The local Victron guys at BATTERYONEPR did resets on the CCGX and on the inverter/charger. I also got voltage readings of 13.71 and 13.73 respectively on the output terminals directly with a digital volt meter. They had me looking for a shunt to disconnect and were talking about shutting off the MPPTs one at a time, I have three. It got late Friday at this point and they essentially have thrown in the towel.
Old 03-03-2024, 11:27   #4

Boat: X442

Challenging though it may seem, a circuit diagram would be a good start. Or just a list of components which (you think) you have on board. Even if incomplete, by posting here most likely some on the forum can fill in the missing pieces and help out.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 11:40   #5

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

It could be the Victron stuff, it could be the batteries, or it could be some wiring going bad. That's the disadvantage of buying a complex lithium system, then moving away from the original installer. Someone is going to have to do some serious troubleshooting, and its hopefully someone with Victron experience you can trust. You need to get involved in the process, and learn your electrical system thoroughly, or swap out for some traditional dumb batteries..
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 11:46   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Which component is reporting the 70%, 17% etc? I am guessing it is the BMS inside the battery and the battery has a data connection to the GX device?

In that case I agree that the battery is the suspect.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 12:13   #7

I have found the DVCC settings and first changed to no BMS control, nothing for a couple minutes. I also have a Blue Nova selection and tried that, also nothing. Didn't try any reboots or resets though. Should I have?
Next I went back to no BMS control, it said BMS was forced on while connected to Blue Nova, I went back to no BMS control and turned off the DVCC, no change in crazy readings. I've now rebooted the system with the DVCC off and the inverter turned off. Turned on the DVCC and selected Blue Nova. The inverter turn bavk on right away. Now waiting for my Starlink to connect up again.......
I've looked for the Cerbo unit but haven't located it yet. Probably in hard to access area.
thank you for all your help! I was feeling a bit lost at sea.
Old 03-03-2024, 12:22   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Who told you that you have a Cerbo? You wrote that you have a CCGX so you don’t have a Cerbo.

Old 03-03-2024, 12:23   #9

There are a couple of data connectors on the batteries, RS45?, that I can see. I've not disconnected these nor checked their condition. The compartment is mostly dry but some moisture can get in here from leaking hatch - now fixed.
Old 03-03-2024, 12:25   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
There are a couple of data connectors on the batteries, RS45?, that I can see. I've not disconnected these nor checked their condition. The compartment is mostly dry but some moisture can get in here from leaking hatch - now fixed.
You need professional help, I recommend you find qualified professional to fix this asap.

Old 03-03-2024, 12:31   #11

Anyone familiar with Victron services in Puerto Rico? I have previously been in contact with Elektec in St. Maarten and they were very knowledgeable.
Old 03-03-2024, 14:20   #12

first the multi blinking low voltage. and the SOC showing 17%. are compleatly independent things. the milti is reading voltage at it's terminals and doesn't care what the shunt is donig. meaning you had 2 different systems telling you the battery was low.

so it probably was actully low.

what was your voltage and current after 4 hours of charging?

if they can remote in, they will have access to the graphs in the VRM. ~48 hours if you didn't have it connected to the internet perminatly.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 16:38   #13

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
first the multi blinking low voltage. and the SOC showing 17%. are compleatly independent things. the milti is reading voltage at it's terminals and doesn't care what the shunt is donig. meaning you had 2 different systems telling you the battery was low.

so it probably was actully low.

what was your voltage and current after 4 hours of charging?

if they can remote in, they will have access to the graphs in the VRM. ~48 hours if you didn't have it connected to the internet perminatly.
Not with DVCC running and the BMS in control of all. He described above its on and BMS in control that has control so all victron devices get from the BMS via DVCC the battery voltage, SOC and most likely charge current.
Jedi is right you have a colour control GX running venus OS, no cerbo. But from system it will be the same as its venus OS.
Besides looking for a professional, start here step by step:
1l As other said, start with a list of components. In colour control und devices you find a device list, make a screenshoot and post it.
2) make photos of your batteries and post
3) do you have the Blu nova battery monitor too, the BMAC?
4) do the batteries have Bluetooth so you have an alternative way to check them with a app and their parameters and cell voltages. They communicate via rj 45 bus, so maybe you can connect your laptop via ethernet port...call blue nova to figure out how.

First job, get a good contact spray (no WD40!) And clean the rj 45 connectors (both part) thoroughly with it. Then after connecting seal them with hot glue so no moisture can get in. Excluded one failure point and made sure it won't be a new one in the future. Fixed it ?

Well i know why i have a seperate non integrated BMS that controls all, simple robust and easy to fix. On top is victron which also causes me issues but battety system runs independently and is unaffected...that is the huge downside of this all integrated system one rj45 bad, one sensor cable bad and all goes haywaire and have fun troubleshooting and finding that. Or an automated software update of venus OS and the other devices not an have an issue...
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 16:48   #14

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
As others have asked a drawing and list of components would really be helpful. But I will suggest one thing:

Quote:
During charging I saw that my Victron CCGX started showing enormous DC power readings that varied between 6000w and 14000w. The system doesn't drain extra fast even with the crazy DC power readings but I still can only charge to 50% with the genset or solar during the day.
That particular symptom sounds to me like a bad connection on a shunt. Both the nonsensically high Watt readings, and consequently the state of charge indication will be completely wrong too. Maybe a failed shunt if it is a smart type. Maybe a bad connection on the RJ11 if a BMV-712. Or if it is a regular dumb shunt a bad connection on the sense wires.
Old 04-03-2024, 07:01   #15

I can check and clean the RJ45 connectors on the batteries. What precautions should I take? anything to turn off or disconnect?

Tags
Victron