Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2024, 16:14   #226

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter
Re: With lithium do we actually need a dedicated starter battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
SVJedi no one I know talks about kWh it's all Ah.
Captain Rivet 300-400 AH Lithium at 12 volts, along with 400-600w of solar is what I normally see on most boats I survey. Generators are not that common either.
AGM battery storage is another story, and you will often see 600AH plus at 12 volts. Some of my customers switch from AGM to Lithium batteries then remove the generator. In a funny way Lithium helps them simplify their yacht.
Cheers
I'm not going to speak for Jedi, but for me, when if I'm only considering smaller 12 volt DC systems that have basic windlass, lights, radar, radio, etc... then Ah math is fine.
But when considering larger complex lifepo4 battery systems with solar panels, inverters, appliances such as air fryers, a/c, multiple induction hobs, etc... kWh is the most straightforward way for me to math them out.
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2024, 17:02   #227
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron E View Post
I'm not going to speak for Jedi, but for me, when if I'm only considering smaller 12 volt DC systems that have basic windlass, lights, radar, radio, etc... then Ah math is fine.
But when considering larger complex lifepo4 battery systems with solar panels, inverters, appliances such as air fryers, a/c, multiple induction hobs, etc... kWh is the most straightforward way for me to math them out.
Indeed, it’s also a worldwide industry standard. As 12V house batteries are quickly becoming a thing of the past, we have switched to kWh because Ah doesn’t make sense until you add how many Volts and is awkward.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2024, 19:19   #228
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Indeed, it’s also a worldwide industry standard. As 12V house batteries are quickly becoming a thing of the past, we have switched to kWh because Ah doesn’t make sense until you add how many Volts and is awkward.
Ok I have yet to work on a boat that was under 75 ft that wasn't 12 volt.
Heck one of the tugs I worked on was even 12 volt. The main engine was air start. The compressor was 12 v start
Old 21-04-2024, 21:10   #229

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Heck one of the tugs I worked on was even 12 volt. The main engine was air start. The compressor was 12 v start
A 1930s 130' motor yacht I was aboard in the late '70s was all 120VDC.
Two banks, each consisting of 10 8D batteries.
Need 120VAC? No problem, the motor-generators provided it without scores of circuit boards or gizmos.
The original direct-reversing Atlas-Imperial 6cyl. 10x13 engines used air, their smoothness would make a modern engine blush with envy.
A Sperry gyro ran the pilot.
A simple boat by modern standards, the engine lathe and drill press would generally keep you going if something needed repairing.
Old 22-04-2024, 03:59   #230
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Sounds like you are on a different world. All the modern 50’+ boats are 24V or 48V.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2024, 04:00   #231

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
It's been quite common, at least for 45'-plus U.S. built powerboats over the last 20 years or so, to have morphed to 24VDC... with some 12V stuff too. Our current ride (nominally 58') is very typical: 24V starters, freshwater pump, toilets, lighting...

Ditto, 240VAC appliances (especially ACs, water heater, electric cooktops) plus some 120VAC stuff (fridges, microwave/oven, entertainment systems, navigation electronics, etc.).

-Chris
Old 22-04-2024, 06:30   #232

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

That why I state AH and voltage, kWh I have to calculate/not intuitive and think eg AH to C rate is direct, same with resulting currents.
What I see more and more that the lithium banks getting bigger and bigger as the batteries get cheaper. First they install 50-75% of former lead capacity mostly with old lead as backup (don’t trust lithium, they know lead), then the lead lets them down and on other side they learned how reliable, quickly and effective lithium charges plus bank don’t need to be full every day.
They learned bank must not be full every day, actually better it’s at 85%. the bank can be used as buffer compared to lead and on good or motorsailing days they have now spare energy which more capacity can store and you can live off the bank on bad days.
Space is available as less batteries installed, so you can double available capacity in same space as to lead before and it’s often cheaper and simpler to add more capacity then modify your solar arch to fit bigger panels.
I am facing the same and just add 2 more 1p4 cells with BMS for below 1000Euro adding 608AH capacity or another 2 days of buffer.

Weekend sailors just put more capacity in and live of it, recharge by shorepower instead adding solar.
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2024, 07:38   #233
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Sounds like you are on a different world. All the modern 50’+ boats are 24V or 48V.
For modern aka new boats that's my youngest son . He is lead mechanical engineer for one of the build teams at Delta Marine.
99% of the boats I tinker with are at least 20 years old with a couple as much as 100 years old. The newer ones arec12v but also under 30 ft.

I'm retired so I don't work on boats anymore . Tinkering sounds better.
Old 28-04-2024, 05:04   #234

So back to topic.
Who wants a starter or needs one as its a cat for 2nd engine, here are a pack of 4x 100AH cells that can do 3C constant and 500A peak (equals to approx 1000CCA if you wanna replace lead) for 150Euro already incl. Tax for US and europe, chose the 105AH cells. Installed them lately:

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out!
109,23€ 48%OFF | 4pcs VariCore 3.2V 320Ah 280Ah 105Ah LiFePO4 battery 3C Lithium iron phosphate battery for 4S 12V 24V Golf Cart Yacht solar RV
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EQlhZFd

Cheaper then an equal size AGM...lasts longer and works. As BMS use a BMV 700 or 712 and an jk active balancer that also monitors cell voltages.
Old 28-04-2024, 13:05   #235
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
S

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out!

Cheaper then an equal size AGM...lasts longer and works. As BMS use a BMV 700 or 712 and an jk active balancer that also monitors cell voltages.
i find this and buy 8 pcs https://eur.vevor.com/off-grid-solar...p_010485988472
more is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2024, 16:03   #236
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
I wish and the site says only 18€ . Heck of a good price if I could get it here in the USA.
Old 28-04-2024, 23:45   #237
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
I wish and the site says only 18€ . Heck of a good price if I could get it here in the USA.
check now price 583.99 €

https://eur.vevor.com/off-grid-solar...p_010485988472

but my is on way. company want i return inverter. this is not my mistake. i order and pay
more is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2024, 08:55   #238

Quote:
Hope for you they are what described and not a scam...
Old 29-04-2024, 08:56   #239

Quote:
check now price 583.99 €

but my is on way. company want i return inverter. this is not my mistake. i order and pay
Good deal if they are legit and work.

And thats by the way a good and cheap low frequency inverter in 12V and 3000W with 9000W peak for the steal of 270Euro, you won't get anything better for that money.
https://m-eur.vevor.com/low-frequenc...p_010340279905
Who cannot or want to afford a victron and has eg induction stoves or AC which has a lot surge and will kill the cheap HF inverters very quick. Installed 3 of them already and they are my goto choice if you wanna cheap and reliable 3kw one in 12V. Its not complaining if you pull 4000W for 5min...heavy duty with a lot reserves. Yes standby is a bit higher so you don't want that to run 24/7, its low-frequency budget so thats where they saved money. but then just install a small 300-500W hf you run your permanant 230V loads and get the big boy for your galley. Or a great boost inverter for the Victron Multi/Quattro in 12V to run your electric galley.
Old 29-04-2024, 10:14   #240
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
check now price 583.99 €

Now that price sounds more like it really should be . Hope you get them for the 18€ they were listed for if not time to talk to a barrister.

Tags
battery, lithium