Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2020, 17:53   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Australia becoming a safe haven for Pacific cruisers.

I just read a post on another thread that I thought was quite ignorant BUT understand that people are entitled to their opinions.

This leads me to wondering what you guys think regarding Australia opening its doors to cruisers of all nationalities stuck in the Pacific ,keeping in mind that cyclone season is approaching and theres a lack of safe havens out here for the hundreds of boats stranded.

My view, Australia is the large country on this side of the Pacific, we have more than enough resources to accommodate 200-300 boats providing them a safe destination.
Keep in mind most of the Pacific is almost covid free and crew have to do long ocean passages (quarantine period) to get to Australia. Also one other bonus is the average cruising couple international spend $1,000-$1,500aud per week, that's approximately 300k a week that would come into oz businesses.

The way I view it ,there isnt a much safer group to allow I than Pacific cruisers. I also believe Australia has a duty of care to provide this safe haven.

It would be easy to put a protocol in place like "the Blue lanes" initiative that Fiji has implemented successfully, it just takes some effort, it's not difficult.

My own situation as an example, currently in Fiji, 8 cases of covid identified at the airport and quarantined, gave and myself have both had two covid tests and have lived quite isolated for mths, we would be happy to have another test prior to Fiji and then one upon arrival in Australia after 10 days at sea.
I think you'd find most yachties would happily abide by the rules if given the opportunity to get out of a cyclone area.

What is happening people are forced to take unnecessary risks, eg one guy I know left Fiji this week to sail solo to Re Union, it dosent have to be this way. A little bit of will to look at these unique circumstances would show theres very little or no risk to national health.

Thoughts?
Old 22-08-2020, 18:02   #2

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Australia becoming a safe haven for Pacific cruisers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I just read a post on another thread that I thought was quite ignorant BUT understand that people are entitled to their opinions.

This leads me to wondering what you guys think regarding Australia opening its doors to cruisers of all nationalities stuck in the Pacific ,keeping in mind that cyclone season is approaching and theres a lack of safe havens out here for the hundreds of boats stranded.

My view, Australia is the large country on this side of the Pacific, we have more than enough resources to accommodate 200-300 boats providing them a safe destination.
Keep in mind most of the Pacific is almost covid free and crew have to do long ocean passages (quarantine period) to get to Australia. Also one other bonus is the average cruising couple international spend $1,000-$1,500aud per week, that's approximately 300k a week that would come into oz businesses.

The way I view it ,there isnt a much safer group to allow I than Pacific cruisers. I also believe Australia has a duty of care to provide this safe haven.

It would be easy to put a protocol in place like "the Blue lanes" initiative that Fiji has implemented successfully, it just takes some effort, it's not difficult.

My own situation as an example, currently in Fiji, 8 cases of covid identified at the airport and quarantined, gave and myself have both had two covid tests and have lived quite isolated for mths, we would be happy to have another test prior to Fiji and then one upon arrival in Australia after 10 days at sea.
I think you'd find most yachties would happily abide by the rules if given the opportunity to get out of a cyclone area.

What is happening people are forced to take unnecessary risks, eg one guy I know left Fiji this week to sail solo to Re Union, it dosent have to be this way. A little bit of will to look at these unique circumstances would show theres very little or no risk to national health.

Thoughts?

It would require an empathetic and intelligent political base, something that is sadly lacking here.
I just cannot see Oberfuhrer Dutton of the Border Farce Security Service even contemplating this let alone embracing it.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 22-08-2020, 18:08   #3

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Everything you said is true Dale. If Australia follows through on this then I say good on ya!
Old 22-08-2020, 18:26   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

What would really be good is if NZ and Oz would get in a bidding war for the cruisers!

Either way, it would be a good deal for either or both countries. I agree with Dale that the cruisers who are unexposed to Covid 19 (at present) should not provide much problem for the nations, and do provide additional $$ in the coffers of the marine industry as a whole, and some for tourism.

One problem I do see, is the premier of QLD (running for re-election) has spoken in public about Qld's hospitals being for "their own" people. So, there is an impression that medical care might go preferentially to foreigners, who will be paying cash for it (as they are not on the Australian Health Care plan). So keeping what we have for our own, well, I think it will have a certain resonance with the pols of both nations. No idea how vibrant a resonance, nor how to counter it.

Ann
Old 22-08-2020, 18:43   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
What would really be good is if NZ and Oz would get in a bidding war for the cruisers! [emoji3]

Either way, it would be a good deal for either or both countries. I agree with Dale that the cruisers who are unexposed to Covid 19 (at present) should not provide much problem for the nations, and do provide additional $$ in the coffers of the marine industry as a whole, and some for tourism.

One problem I do see, is the premier of QLD (running for re-election) has spoken in public about Qld's hospitals being for "their own" people. So, there is an impression that medical care might go preferentially to foreigners, who will be paying cash for it (as they are not on the Australian Health Care plan). So keeping what we have for our own, well, I think it will have a certain resonance with the pols of both nations. No idea how vibrant a resonance, nor how to counter it.

Ann
Hi Ann, the comment that the Qld premier made is just disgusting, we are all Australians aren't we? It's not her hospital, this is very dangerous talk, this takes that whole nationalism thing to a whole new level, state versus state....she should not get away with that comment ,its just unacceptable and shows shes unfit to lead, shes endangering lives.

As an Australian legally I'm entitled to go to any emergency room in the country, not just the ones in NSW, some serious rights being played with here.

Gees, I'm ranting today, time to go out and snorkel with Manta Ray's again, they are smarter than people.
Old 22-08-2020, 19:24   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I hear what you're saying about Australian nationals. However, if all Qld's hospitals were full, and there was no room at the inn so to speak, I can see why foreigners might be denied services, and locals, given preferential treatment. We didn't pay in to the infrastructure. With the kind of medical necessities they were having in NYC, I would have expected to have been triaged out, had I been there. In fact, in times of demand exceeding space, I expect it here, as well. Don't know if it would come to that, but it could, and -- at least to me -- rightly so. You guys made it happen. You get first crack at it.

Ann
Old 22-08-2020, 19:29   #7

Ann, an extra 400-600 people added to a population of 25 million makes zero difference, it's not like they are all going to get the virus and if 100% of them did, well the whole countries in serious trouble.
Quote:
I hear what you're saying about Australian nationals. However, if all Qld's hospitals were full, and there was no room at the inn so to speak, I can see why foreigners might be denied services, and locals, given preferential treatment. We didn't pay in to the infrastructure. With the kind of medical necessities they were having in NYC, I would have expected to have been triaged out, had I been there. In fact, in times of demand exceeding space, I expect it here, as well. Don't know if it would come to that, but it could, and -- at least to me -- rightly so. You guys made it happen. You get first crack at it.

Ann
Old 22-08-2020, 19:33   #8

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:

Ann
Ann, I get what you are saying and you definitely have a valid point, but what I find somewhat galling is the obvious politicisation of the situation, the vote for me, I am the only one that is keeping you safe attitude prior to the upcoming election. Population wise we are a relatively small nation spread out over a large land mass and I have to ask if this is the correct attitude in this day and age.
Could go on but would be a step too far.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 22-08-2020, 19:37   #9
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Hi Ann, the comment that the Qld premier made is just disgusting, we are all Australians aren't we? It's not her hospital, this is very dangerous talk, this takes that whole nationalism thing to a whole new level, state versus state....she should not get away with that comment ,its just unacceptable and shows shes unfit to lead, shes endangering lives.

As an Australian legally I'm entitled to go to any emergency room in the country, not just the ones in NSW, some serious rights being played with here.

Gees, I'm ranting today, time to go out and snorkel with Manta Ray's again, they are smarter than people.
You are half right daleT. It was a really really stupid thing for her to say and she should get hauled over the coals for saying it!

But Qld does own the Qld hospitals and if you are legally allowed to be in Qld (and an Aussie citizen), you can use the services regardless of your home state address so nothing has changed too much.

Mostly though and even in this CV times, our health system is still functioning between states.

EDIT: Qld only owns the public health system hospitals, the private ones are open for business to anyone if you got the cash!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 22-08-2020, 19:40   #10

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Ann, an extra 400-600 people added to a population of 25 million makes zero difference, it's not like they are all going to get the virus and if 100% of them did, well the whole countries in serious trouble.
just get them to rent property on land like these students that are missed so severely. Guaranteed, every politician will understand this language as they controlled by property lobby.
Old 22-08-2020, 21:06   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Ann, I get what you are saying and you definitely have a valid point, but what I find somewhat galling is the obvious politicisation of the situation, the vote for me, I am the only one that is keeping you safe attitude prior to the upcoming election. Population wise we are a relatively small nation spread out over a large land mass and I have to ask if this is the correct attitude in this day and age.
Could go on but would be a step too far. [emoji2]
Thumb!!
Old 22-08-2020, 21:17   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
You are half right daleT. It was a really really stupid thing for her to say and she should get hauled over the coals for saying it!

But Qld does own the Qld hospitals and if you are legally allowed to be in Qld (and an Aussie citizen), you can use the services regardless of your home state address so nothing has changed too much.

Mostly though and even in this CV times, our health system is still functioning between states.

EDIT: Qld only owns the public health system hospitals, the private ones are open for business to anyone if you got the cash!
Fair enough, so if she got ill in Victoria should she have to find her way back to Qld for treatment? We are one country, I've paid taxes in Vic, NSW and Qld over the years, the Gst gets distributed to the states etc, personally I find her actions offensive, and this isnt a political bias in anyway.

Getting back to the original topic, do you all really think 200-300 cruisers are a genuine health risk to Australia IF we put a strict protocol in place? We arent smart enough to do this? This us and them attitude is the enemy imho.

I would argue there's a greater health risk to sailors stranded far from home living on their boats in a cyclone zone.
Old 22-08-2020, 21:34   #13

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
But is NOT just 400-600 people. Any given month there are a million to two million visitors in Australia.

Regardless if you arrived by plane, train, automobile, or boat... the country is asking all 1 million people to repatriate. That seems like a pretty fair policy - everyone is treated the same.

Go home. Have fun. See your sister and her kids. The boat will be waiting when you get back.
Old 22-08-2020, 21:46   #14

I am new here, but from what I hear on the grapevine, Australia would be the last place I’d consider a safe haven in today’s climate, with today’s issues.

Just recently saw a video of a police officer choking a woman for not wearing a mask, this does not feel very safe to me.

Old 22-08-2020, 21:48   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
But is NOT just 400-600 people. Any given month there are a million to two million visitors in Australia.

Regardless if you arrived by plane, train, automobile, or boat... the country is asking all 1 million people to repatriate. That seems like a pretty fair policy - everyone is treated the same.

Go home. Have fun. See your sister and her kids. The boat will be waiting when you get back.
No, circumstances should be taken into account, cruisers in the Pacific are a unique group. They present a very minimal risk, and no we dont have to have one rule for all, that's my point. Cruises also have in general been quarantined due to an extended period spent at sea, people that fly in haven't been quarantined prior to arrival. This is why I didn't ask "should all groups be let into Australia. The two groups aren't equal and shouldn't be treated as such.

Btw, I agree with 2 week quarantine for people flying in, they present a clear risk. In fact I believe they should have a covid test prior to leaving and upon entry.

Theres a big difference from someone flying from LA airport and hopping of in Australia than a cruiser that just spent 30 days at sea (I can give you an example if you wish).

Btw, for those that assume I'm passionate about this because I'm sailing home, your wrong, this is not the reason. I can sail home by myself, in fact I'm excited about the challenge, secondly I have the money to quarantine, dont want to but not overly concerned about it.

My concern is more about the lack of thought or common sense applied to this area.

Tags
Australia, cruise, cruiser