Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2020, 20:39   #136

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Australian quarantine equality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Factor, I'm 100% aware it's a Qld state government directive, read back through the many posts and you'll see this has been mentioned numerous times, it's also been mentioned that the police and borderforce have no power in regards to this.

Dale, I think Factor is merely trying to make the point to those that are ill informed and/or ignorant of the governance of Australia.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 05-10-2020, 21:19   #137

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
So glad we dont have a so called bill of rights, we saw how that ended up for the USA
Amazing that the Aus Capital Territory has had a Bill of Rights since 2004, no?

Further amazing that the English legal system has a "bill of rights" spread historically over the 1215 Magna Carta, and various bits of law (including Habeus Corpus from 1679 and a so-named Bill of Rights in 1689), no?

One point worth noting is that the ACT Bill of Rights is statute law, which can be repealed or modified at will by a vote in the legislature.

The US Bill of Rights is entrenched and would likely require a personal dictatorship to revoke it.

Few things are perfect. Given that the US has an entrenched Bill of Rights, have you wondered why it was necessary, following the US Civil War, to add amendments 13, 14, and 15 to the US Constitution?

Or that some states in the US thought it necessary to necessary to work towards an Equal Rights Amendment until Notorious RBG pointed out that Amendment #14 applied to people white and black, male and female?
Old 05-10-2020, 21:38   #138
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Nothing to do with any federal memeber and or senator, Purely a Qld Government issue.

<snip>

Again - nothing to do with any federal government agency - official - politician - NOTHING ZERO ZIP ZILCH.

It amazes me how little people understand about our federal system?
While I agree Dale's now resolved issue is solely with the Qld gov; blind freddy can see there is pollie interaction between state and federal spheres - for better or worse. We have a duty to let all of our pollies know how/what we are thinking month to month between the elections. YMMV.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 05-10-2020, 22:04   #139

Boat: Island Packet 40

"It amazes me how little people understand about our federal system?"

And if you try to explain it and why there is no bill of rights in our constitution and the abuses it excuses where state based ones have been introduced you'll get censored.
Old 06-10-2020, 00:05   #140

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
While I agree Dale's now resolved issue is solely with the Qld gov; blind freddy can see there is pollie interaction between state and federal spheres - for better or worse. We have a duty to let all of our pollies know how/what we are thinking month to month between the elections. YMMV.
Absolutely, we should have spirited debates and voices that are heard, its important.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:05   #141
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
"It amazes me how little people understand about our federal system?"

And if you try to explain it and why there is no bill of rights in our constitution and the abuses it excuses where state based ones have been introduced you'll get censored.
Nope the system started as a state based system, section 51 of the Australian constitution outline federal powers, anything not in there is a state power/function.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:06   #142
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Dale, you may have wished you never came home - Victoria is extending and increasing it's emergency powers until a minimum of April next year. Have a read of the link its like something from an Orwellian nightmare - and these are just the amendments As if the Bio Security act of 2015 was not bad enough.

How long before this spreads to the rest of the country?

https://content.legislation.vic.gov....ppBMF0uBghcQkQ
Old 06-10-2020, 01:07   #143
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Factor, I'm 100% aware it's a Qld state government directive, read back through the many posts and you'll see this has been mentioned numerous times, it's also been mentioned that the police and borderforce have no power in regards to this.
My apologies to you if I implied that, guenuinely was just trying to inform the crowd that it isn't a federal issue and even if the prime minister told QLD they had to let you in without quarantine, that has no lawful effect. Again my apologies.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:02   #144

Quote:
My apologies to you if I implied that, guenuinely was just trying to inform the crowd that it isn't a federal issue and even if the prime minister told QLD they had to let you in without quarantine, that has no lawful effect. Again my apologies.
No problems mate, thanks for your imput.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:08   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Dale, you may have wished you never came home - Victoria is extending and increasing it's emergency powers until a minimum of April next year. Have a read of the link its like something from an Orwellian nightmare - and these are just the amendments As if the Bio Security act of 2015 was not bad enough.

What's that saying?

If you want to test a mans character ,dont give him adversity, give him power!
Old 06-10-2020, 17:35   #146

Quote:
How do I get a refund of my life minutes?

What about the fact I have committed no crime and I have no criminal record yet I'm being held against my will and have two police officers standing at my door? Even the negative covid result means nothing.
They must have an excess numbers of cops in AU or the crime rate has dropped significantly. Two X 8 hours X 24 hours in a day, days off, etc. nice police budget!!!
Old 06-10-2020, 18:26   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorman49 View Post
They must have an excess numbers of cops in AU or the crime rate has dropped significantly. Two X 8 hours X 24 hours in a day, days off, etc. nice police budget!!!
Nah, they're just a little more laid back in Queensland and have them to spare when these contingencies occur.

Now down in the state of Victoria they had so many police assigned to arresting dog walking grandmothers and pyjama clad, pregnant mothers that they did not have police to enforce quarantine and had to use barroom bouncers and the virus got loose.

The basic training of bouncers and police is functionally apposed, bouncers are trained to keep trouble makers out and police to keep them in, it was bound to end up in a disaster.

I dunno if the various responses starved the virus of new victims but it certainly fed the xenophobia and paranoia.
Old 06-10-2020, 22:50   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
they did not have police to enforce quarantine and had to use barroom bouncers and the virus got loose.
And you complain about others giving misinformation.

They weren't bouncers.. they were trained and registered security personnel, working for registered security companies. Granted, not trained in proper covid procedures, but's that's on their incompetent & corrupt employers, not on them personally.

Still, at least they (and the privately owned nursing homes) disproved the oft-repeated right-wing claim that private enterprise is more efficient and effective than letting govt depts (like the police) handle the public good. Clearly, private enterprise can't be trusted to do the right thing when it counts.
Old 06-10-2020, 23:35   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
And you complain about others giving misinformation.

They weren't bouncers.. they were trained and registered security personnel, working for registered security companies. Granted, not trained in proper covid procedures, but's that's on their incompetent & corrupt employers, not on them personally.

Still, at least they (and the privately owned nursing homes) disproved the oft-repeated right-wing claim that private enterprise is more efficient and effective than letting govt depts (like the police) handle the public good. Clearly, private enterprise can't be trusted to do the right thing when it counts.
I'm fine with misinformation, as an older Australian I recognize BS on sight. It's humorlessness I have a problem with.

Ultimately their "incompetent & corrupt" employer was the Victorian government, so I'll agree with you on that one.

I'm old enough to remember all the royal commissions and other inquiries into state furnished retirement homes. There is a damned good reason the Australian population does not trust governments with vital matters such as food supply and housing.
Old 07-10-2020, 00:12   #150

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post

It hasn't spread to Victoria yet... much of that bill was chucked out of state parliament yesterday..

Tags
Australia