Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2020, 01:01   #286

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Australian quarantine equality?

What a remarkable coincidence.
Yesterday I was putting together some paperwork to send to the Ecuadorian customs people.
Decided to go to the DFAT site to get a bit of paper saying that I could not travel which was I expected to receive.
Ticked the 'Urgent and unavoidable personal business' box... said I had to move boat to Panama to avoid Ecuador import duty.....said I would be away for three weeks in December.
Provided ships papers, plus temporary import paperwork... 4 pages in all.

Imagine my surprise when late today I was given the tick to leave the country.

Some points..
I did not need to give flight numbers,
I can change my departure airport,
I can change my departure and return dates.

I don't want to travel until March next year but I checked Emirates... one way flights to Guayaquil in December are $A1900... Syd/Dubai/JFK....

So... things are looking up
Old 02-11-2020, 02:43   #287

Boat: Westerly 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattzilla View Post
I am not liking the "lack of trust in your own population to do the right thing and be socially responsible" model we are seeing in Australia.
Federal politicians are allowed to self-isolate but not the peasants. Tony Abbott is allowed to go back and forth to Europe so that he can provide trade advice for a foreign government courtesy of the Australian taxpayer. You seriously expect fairness from this mob?
Old 02-11-2020, 03:26   #288
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Having a well-supported application for permission to exit considered by Aus Border Force/Dept of Home Affairs now (November 2020) takes only a few hours (same day service) for straightforward cases.

That's a massive improvement.

In July-August, consideration and approval (or rejection) could take 2 -3 months.

In September-October and after refining the procedures and rules (see the four guidelines & directives documents available for download at the bottom of https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/leaving-australia), consideration and approval/rejection took 2 - 3 weeks.

The backlog has disappeared.

My tips are:

* download and read the relevant documents (see URL above);

* formulate your application so it fits into one of the categories defined; and

* organise for upload, as part of your submission, your documents (the guidelines/directives etc tell clearly what they want to see).

Aussie public servants FTW! How good is that?!

Thanks for the link - The big change is:

you are traveling outside Australia for three months or longer

Yeah we can leave legally - Just gotta find a country that will let us in.....
Old 02-11-2020, 12:27   #289

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post

I asked for three weeks......

Mind you they were probably thinking ... 'we won't see him again for six months or more.'

Getting a flight out is easy... getting a flight back???????
Old 02-11-2020, 12:46   #290

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

Mind you they were probably thinking ... 'we won't see him again for six months or more.'

Now, now, you've got MONTHS to arrange for return.

Maybe time to leave your boat in Dunedin, and make trips to the Chathams in summertimes.

Good luck with it.

Ann
Old 02-11-2020, 13:38   #291

Boat: Island Packet 40

They want you back for the second wave??
Old 02-11-2020, 15:40   #292

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post

Yeah we can leave legally - Just gotta find a country that will let us in.....
On the apparent time limitation (> 3 months) the approval of El Ping's application for a shorter time should suggest to you that the time limitation is a little flexible.

To be successful, applicants for exit also have to undertake to paying for quarantine on return to Aus.

On the country to accept you, you might be surprised to find that several economies within a day's flight time will accept Australians. It might help to be from an Aus state or territory (e.g. QLD, SA, Tas, ACT, NT, WA) that has demonstrated border discipline leading to local elimination of the virus.

Each of the 'accepting' economies I've approached has their own procedures. In some cases the application has multiple steps, more than needed to exit Aus, but nothing particularly onerous.

I hasten to note that I am not yet aware of anyone exiting Aus on their own hull and entering an 'accepting' economy on that hull. Air travel is preferred.

I find that interesting. It harkens back to the OP's experience. The contrast is in 1918-19 when Aus was one of the most successful economies handling the Kansas (aka Spanish) influenza pandemic. Aus was successful then because of:

1. Local measures, closing state borders, enforcing the wearing of face coverings in public, closing schools and cinemas etc; and
2. External measures that involved quarantine, enhanced by the delays implicit in sea travel to Aus (there were no commercial air carriers).

Those days are past and policy makers and their bureaucratic underlings are all landlubbers who understand not the time delay of sail over distance.

Of course air travel also gives all authorities more power with low costs. Singapore, for example, spends much money to assure itself that no cruiser anchors and then dinghies ashore. The cost to Singapore of interdicting everyone entering an air gate at Changi International is much lower.
Old 02-11-2020, 15:50   #293

Quote:
On the country to accept you, you might be surprised to find that several economies within a day's flight time will accept Australians.
And a heads up in case you missed it: the month-long war between Armenia and Azerbaijan has been won and lost. Azeri troops took control of the highway into Nagorno-Karabakh through the Lanchin pass on Monday. So the route for Armenians to exit Nagorno and for logistic supply from Armenia to Nagorno is closed to Armenians.

All that is left is for Armenia to accept terms on the return of Nagorno-K to Azeris, likely minus the Armenian residents of Nagorno-K. Either ethnic cleansing or yet another Armenian Genocide. Or both.
Old 04-11-2020, 14:11   #294

A bit of fun from Phuket, ThaiLand:

https://www.nationthailand.com/travel/30397254
Old 04-11-2020, 14:18   #295
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Can't access this site due some security issue (?????) so what does it say?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 04-11-2020, 15:46   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Can't access this site due some security issue (?????) so what does it say?
The only "security issue" seems to have been a browser check. Which your browser failed. Hmm..

Anyway, here's the (recreated) article:

Phuket marks high season with boat parade

Thailand
Nov 03. 2020

Watchara Motor and Marine Sport Solution Centre has posted a video clip of a boat parade held on Sunday off Phuket’s Patong beach to mark the start of the tourist season.

https://fb.watch/1wL4YwjQ9N/

In a Facebook post, officials said the parade featured more than 40 jet skis, yachts, speedboats, inflatable boats and jet boats.

"To the people in Phuket's Patong. May the skies always be open for everyone during high season,” the post read.

Photo Credits: Watchara Motor and Marine Sport Solution Centre
Old 04-11-2020, 17:18   #297
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
The only "security issue" seems to have been a browser check. Which your browser failed. Hmm..

Anyway, here's the (recreated) article:

Phuket marks high season with boat parade

Thailand
Nov 03. 2020

Watchara Motor and Marine Sport Solution Centre has posted a video clip of a boat parade held on Sunday off Phuket’s Patong beach to mark the start of the tourist season.

https://fb.watch/1wL4YwjQ9N/

In a Facebook post, officials said the parade featured more than 40 jet skis, yachts, speedboats, inflatable boats and jet boats.

"To the people in Phuket's Patong. May the skies always be open for everyone during high season,” the post read.

Photo Credits: Watchara Motor and Marine Sport Solution Centre
Thanks .

Dunno about my browser... The site started asking me questions so I bowed out - already told 'em I wasn't a bot but if they wanted more so it was 'TIFI'
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 04-11-2020, 20:01   #298

Quote:
Dunno about my browser... The site started asking me questions so I bowed out - already told 'em I wasn't a bot but if they wanted more so it was 'TIFI'
Ouch! Sorry about that Wotname.

I've been privately celebrating 1. negotiating exit permission from ABF and their friends; 2. negotiating the okay to transit at Changi Airport; and 3. progress (though not yet to completion) of negotiating entry into a third economy.

I thought the Phuket water OPEN was a bit of fun and imagined it painless to share. Not every day you see 40 jetskis, a couple of MVs, and one yacht doing the skywriting trick on the water.

More careful examination shows that The Nation website has engaged Cloudflare to supply some mystical service to stop evil doers. My browser handled all that without a hiccough.

My thanks to JAFO for working up a version of the story from The Nation.

I was busy playing a game with the fuel system of Led Myne. The fuel system spat the dummy while I was motoring into dock a week ago and to date it has refused to cooperate with my efforts to bleed air from the fuel line. All of which suggests that tomorrow I'm going to have to look hard at the line from pickup in the tank to the Racor primary filter. So far the score is Fuel System 3 v AM 0.
Old 04-11-2020, 21:56   #299

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

we are keen to get to europe to see family so keeping an eye on this as well

trouble we see is may be ok to get out (for say 3 months) but likely need 2 weeks hotel quarantine when you get back

this makes it an expensive trip ! love the kids / grandkids, but...

cheers,
Old 05-11-2020, 15:18   #300

Quote:
Thanks .

I run into problems similar to that when accessing "Cloudflare protected" sites whilst using a VPN. Typically I have to enter in a 5 character passcode to get through. Were you using a VPN?

Tags
Australia