Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2020, 12:57   #76

Re: Australian quarantine equality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattzilla View Post
But why if you have a home or yacht, are paying rent or marina fees already, should you not be able to isolate at that place and be trusted to follow the rules there?
And who decides who should be trusted?? we have already well down the self-isolation track with numerous examples of people demonstrating that they can't be trusted to do the right thing, even at the risk of big fines and jail time people have continually broken quarantine. If individuals did the right thing then we would not end up with these draconian regulations, but as usual it's the actions of a few that stuff it up for the majority.....

Queensland...

More than 200 people meant to be isolating under strict coronavirus quarantine laws are missing in Queensland

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-...sland/12472332

Quote:
Since mid-April more than 2,000 compliance checks have been conducted by the COVID-19 taskforce, with officers uncovering almost 400 people who were not where they were supposed to be.
Victoria...

Big fines for infected Australians breaking quarantine orders

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-...uarantine.html

Quote:
....800 infected people—or more than 25 percent of those door knocked across Victoria—were not at home when authorities conducted recent checks, which state Premier Daniel Andrews called "completely unacceptable".
.......that's just 2 examples of Australians flouting quarantine directions over the last 8 months or so, there's plenty more if you have been keeping in touch with whats going on....

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
Old 03-10-2020, 13:27   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Get a grip mate, who's saying they're evil and stupid? your fully exaggerating, please dont make things up.

One more thing, your assuming the quarantine that I'm currently in is protecting the public more so than the quarantine my friends are doing on their boat yet you know absolutely nothing about the environment I or they are in.....you'd be surprised who is more isolated.

Also I'm not disputing on this thread should I be doing quarantine or not ,Im pointing out that there should be consistency, not a rule for one and not another.

If you were in this situation you are entitled to handle it anyway way you wish BUT your not, I am and I'm more than entitled to voice an opinion and point out what I believe to be blatant inconsistency regarding the handling of quarantine.
I never said the quarantine was intelligent or helping anyone. I thought you indicated you wanted to stay away from that subject as indicated in your initial post.

Yes, you were exaggerating in a way to vilify the authorities and others have jumped on your human rights violation theme adding more exaggerations. From your original post:
- we are currently being held against our will
- I've committed no crime yet I am locked up with two police officers at my door
- this is not the first injustice they have seen regarding unfair

Those are fighting words (whether true or not). If your goal is to get a positive response to reduce or eliminate the quarantine, it seems silly to vilify those who make the decide.
Old 03-10-2020, 14:07   #78

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Those are fighting words (whether true or not). If your goal is to get a positive response to reduce or eliminate the quarantine, it seems silly to vilify those who make the decide.
Aw, come on mate! Those words vilify no one... they report an extant situation factually.

Jim
Old 03-10-2020, 14:11   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Aw, come on mate! Those words vilify no one... they report an extant situation factually.

Jim
Again, never said there wasn't some factual basis (though definitely exaggerated) but they were certainly set up to vilify the authorities.
Old 03-10-2020, 14:55   #80

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Again, never said there wasn't some factual basis (though definitely exaggerated) but they were certainly set up to vilify the authorities.
Exaggerating? how? what part of those 3 statements is not true? please explain.
Old 03-10-2020, 15:04   #81

Quote:
Exaggerating? how? what part of those 3 statements is not true? please explain.
- You are not being held against your will. You chose to arrive knowing you would be put under quarantine (you didn't have an exemption before arriving).
- No "crime" was ever indicated by the authorities (at least not based on your comments)
- You never established an "injustice", just a paperwork issue where you chose to arrive before it was sorted and now you are dealing with the fall out.
Old 03-10-2020, 15:32   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
- You are not being held against your will. You chose to arrive knowing you would be put under quarantine (you didn't have an exemption before arriving).
- No "crime" was ever indicated by the authorities (at least not based on your comments)
- You never established an "injustice", just a paperwork issue where you chose to arrive before it was sorted and now you are dealing with the fall out.
You are looking silly.

Although I dont agree with being locked up that's not the problem here, the problem is the lack of consistency when it comes to applying the law which Ive stated a number of times here. In regards to leaving without an excemption application approved, if you read the previous posts you'll see I've explained previously that no one gets an excemption prior to leaving, no one, it just dosent work that way.

You are now cowardly implying that I may of committed a crime and not mentioning it??...lol.
Old 03-10-2020, 18:17   #83

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
You are looking silly.

Although I dont agree with being locked up that's not the problem here, the problem is the lack of consistency when it comes to applying the law which Ive stated a number of times here. In regards to leaving without an excemption application approved, if you read the previous posts you'll see I've explained previously that no one gets an excemption prior to leaving, no one, it just dosent work that way.

You are now cowardly implying that I may of committed a crime and not mentioning it??...lol.

Didn’t you write that the boat where they’re isolating on board did receive their exemption prior to departure?
Old 03-10-2020, 18:53   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Didn’t you write that the boat where they’re isolating on board did receive their exemption prior to departure?
No, they recieved the excemption the day they arrived. No one has recieved an excemption prior to departing. Remember I'm in personal contact with at least 10 boats that are coming, this is not secondhand information, I talk to the individuals directly.

When we initially lodged the application we were told that it takes two weeks. We were then told by others working at this end that excemptions arent issued in advance ie before departure. We were also advised that the most likely outcome is that time at sea would be taken into account therefore only remaining time would have to be served.

We just had the the head cop come down to see us, hes a very nice guy and is genuinely chasing all this up as its the 4th time hes had to deal with these issues, hes trying to find out why the inconsistencies. His advice is to make as much noise as possible.
Old 03-10-2020, 19:19   #85

Quote:
if anyone has any advice on how I can make more noise let me know.

I recommend you contact national (not regional) TV station current affairs shows, and write letters to the editors of national newspapers.

Through a number of incidents in my life, I've learned that there is nothing any government dept or business hates more than being made to look bad in public. The bigger the splash you can make, the better.

It's amazing how quickly they do an about-face and get **** sorted out, when you air their dirty laundry in public. Humiliate them, embarrass them, make them look like idiots and arseholes, and you win. Every time.
Old 03-10-2020, 19:31   #86

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
I recommend you contact national (not regional) TV station current affairs shows, and write letters to the editors of national newspapers.

Through a number of incidents in my life, I've learned that there is nothing any government dept or business hates more than being made to look bad in public. The bigger the splash you can make, the better.

It's amazing how quickly they do an about-face and get **** sorted out, when you air their dirty laundry in public. Humiliate them, embarrass them, make them look like idiots and arseholes, and you win. Every time.

Possibly a short term solution if it works, but remember that govt departments have a good memory and if further contact is expected in the future then the old saying, you catch more more flies with honey than vinegar is appropriate.
Dale has said numerous times that the troops on the ground have sympathy for his position, far better to work with this than "making them look like idiots and arseholes ". Using a Program like A Current Affair is in my opinion a good idea to highlight the situation, albeit without deliberately setting out to embarrass and humiliate.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 03-10-2020, 19:40   #87
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Dale, I am interested in the exemption process and you are the closest I have to a first hand experience ATM.

Who is the exemption application lodged with (i.e. which government department)?

Is the application then forwarded to different offices for processing or are the applications all processed in one central location?

Upthread you say you don't think the problem is a paperwork and process one; what do you think the real issue is?

On a seperate thought - on the surface (and from what has been posted so far), it doesn't appear to be an equality issue. It could be argued you and SV Influencer received equal treatment while SV...... did not. It seems like your complaint is that you should have received the same treatment as the SV.... who in this instance is the minority. I am not suggesting you should not have received an exemption, rather that as you have received the same treatment as SV Influencer; clearly not receiving an exemption is the norm.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 03-10-2020, 19:59   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Possibly a short term solution if it works, but remember that govt departments have a good memory and if further contact is expected in the future then the old saying, you catch more more flies with honey than vinegar is appropriate.
Fair points.. but people in govt depts move around all the time.. and a lot of paperwork crosses their desks every day. In a year or so, nobody there will even remember you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Dale has said numerous times that the troops on the ground have sympathy for his position, far better to work with this than "making them look like idiots and arseholes ". Using a Program like A Current Affair is in my opinion a good idea to highlight the situation, albeit without deliberately setting out to embarrass and humiliate.
Ahh.. I wasn't really quite clear enough. There's no need to put effort into the humiliate, embarrass, etc bit.. that's merely the outcome. In all dealings with the media, you are polite and well-spoken, you don't call anyone names, or make wild accusations, you're the very picture of reasonableness, who just happens to be utterly baffled by the unreasonable way you've been treated. And you make it clear that the troops on the ground have been wonderful and understanding.. it's the bureaucracy itself you're having problems with.

All the humiliation and embarrassment gets delivered at the hands of the public, reacting to the news. And I've seen it in action.. it's powerful stuff.

And yes, ACA would be the top of my list to contact.
Old 03-10-2020, 20:13   #89

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
Fair points.. but people in govt depts move around all the time.. and a lot of paperwork crosses their desks every day. In a year or so, nobody there will even remember you.

Perhaps this was once the case, however now, and for a long time all border crossing histories are available at the click of a button to those administering the borders. These days they even know who is who prior to arrival.

Ahh.. I wasn't really quite clear enough. There's no need to put effort into the humiliate, embarrass, etc bit.. that's merely the outcome. In all dealings with the media, you are polite and well-spoken, you don't call anyone names, or make wild accusations, you're the very picture of reasonableness, who just happens to be utterly baffled by the unreasonable way you've been treated. And you make it clear that the troops on the ground have been wonderful and understanding.. it's the bureaucracy itself you're having problems with.

All the humiliation and embarrassment gets delivered at the hands of the public, reacting to the news. And I've seen it in action.. it's powerful stuff.

And yes, ACA would be the top of my list to contact.
Fair enough.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 03-10-2020, 21:23   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Dale, I am interested in the exemption process and you are the closest I have to a first hand experience ATM.

Who is the exemption application lodged with (i.e. which government department)?

Is the application then forwarded to different offices for processing or are the applications all processed in one central location?

Upthread you say you don't think the problem is a paperwork and process one; what do you think the real issue is?

On a seperate thought - on the surface (and from what has been posted so far), it doesn't appear to be an equality issue. It could be argued you and SV Influencer received equal treatment while SV...... did not. It seems like your complaint is that you should have received the same treatment as the SV.... who in this instance is the minority. I am not suggesting you should not have received an exemption, rather that as you have received the same treatment as SV Influencer; clearly not receiving an exemption is the norm.
Hi mate, you apply via

https://healthserviceportal.health.qld.gov.au/hdsp

You can regularly update your application ie attach vessel ais track, previous covid test results etc, as the process goes on and things change we update the application so that Qld health have all the info.

We talk to maritime liaison officers via email and phone, they are actually in the office next door to Qld health where the decisions are made, we know that Paul Campbell walked in to their office yesterday to address our situation , at this stage thetes be know outcome from that.

I dont know it's not a paperwork or processing problem, I was just pulling up Vahalla that claimed he knew what the problem was, I dont know what the problem is, the police dont know and Borderforce dont know and these guys are the other officials involved in the matter....Qld health are not communicating with us or any of these officials.

This is why I get annoyed at previous posters that seem to think they know what's happening or that we should of waited for an excemption, they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

Tags
Australia