Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2020, 15:35   #196

Boat: Watkins 27
Re: Bahamas - EMERGENCY POWERS (COVID 19)(NO. 1) ORDER, 2020 ???

Montanan,

I'm a US citizen (reside in Colombia so I really want to head south) and the boat is US flagged, so I am fortunate and have that option open.

Immigration and Customs are currently accepting extension requests via email, some have received extensions however I am still waiting to bear back.

So we will see. Like most just relaxing and taking it day by day.

I will put a shameless plug in for the Georgetown Island Administrator who continues to find solutions to assist the boaters; Exuma Market who
is doing grocery deliveries direct to the boats; and Valiant Marine Salvage who is delivering fuel, water, propane and trash removal for the harbor. A person could get fat and lazy if this keeps up.

There is another shore based lady who does other misc runs for boaters wether it be pharmacy, phone or parts.

Also there is a young lady who is the harbor net controller and she is doing an amazing job coordinating ship to shore with the Island Admin as well as the usual morning net stuff...she and several others even setup nightly VHF radio entertainment ranging from trivia and cooking to murder mystery in the style of old radio shows.

Thanks for the well wishes but Georgetown is treating us very well and if I should pass by this way again, Georgetown is on my list.

Be safe
Old 17-04-2020, 16:32   #197

Let's see quarantine on a boat in a beautiful place or in Columbia. Never been to Columbia.
US State Department summary: Colombia is experiencing widespread ongoing transmission of COVID-19. [As it almost everywhere.] As of March 23, the President of Colombia grounded international flights for a period of 30 days. The Government of Colombia also declared a national quarantine to last until April 13 that requires everyone to shelter-in-place. On April 6, the government of Colombia extended the national quarantine to April 27.

Enjoy. I'm suspecting it is a bit warmer where you are than at my home State. At least the snow has melted and the grass is greening. Mountains just outside the town are deeply snowbound, much more than usual for this time of year, might go cross country skiing to get some exercise and get out of the house for a while, feeling a bit cabin fevered.
Old 18-04-2020, 03:39   #198
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaLuz View Post
... I will put a shameless plug in for the Georgetown Island Administrator who continues to find solutions to assist the boaters ...
... Thanks for the well wishes but Georgetown is treating us very well and if I should pass by this way again, Georgetown is on my list.
Be safe
FWIW:

Preston Cunningham
Administrator I
Exuma and Cays Exuma
Exuma and Black Point Ragged Island Administrator's Office-George Town
George Town
Exuma, The Bahamas
Email: prestoncunningham@bahamas.gov.bs
Phone: (242) 336-2166/7, (242) 336-4070, (242) 225-4191 (vibe), 881651499391 (satellite)
Fax: (242) 336-2168, (242) 336-2637
Email: prestoncunningham@bahamas.gov.bs

Old 18-04-2020, 17:18   #199

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

I submitted an email requesting exit with stops along the way, but explicitly said we would not go ashore or go to marinas . This was the reply
<I>
We acknowledge receipt of your request for exemption under paragraph 15/16 of the Bahamas Yacht Protocols.

We note that you have requested to sail from your current location and depart Bahamas waters. We hereby accept your application and grant you permission on behalf of the Designated Government Contact. Please proceed as requested on the most direct safe route. While stops for fuel and or rest may be required to complete your passage safely, we do request that you keeps stops to as few as possible, and continue to adhere to all current orders and protocols in place until the vessel has departed Bahamas territorial waters.

Sent on Behalf of the Designated Government Contact <\I>
Old 23-04-2020, 07:27   #200

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.5 (Moorings 51)

Yesterday, there were at least 8 Sailboats South of Freeport Grand Bahama, making there way West towards Florida.
Several were doing the buddy system and were in contact via VHF.
Sake travels!
Old 28-04-2020, 07:50   #201

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Today, April 28, there are now 80 cases in the Bahamas with Bimini being called a “hotspot”. There are 5 new cases there with more expected as tests are processed. These are not foreign travel or foreign exposure related, but are community transmission cases, as per Bahamian newspapers reports.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:54   #202

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

May 8, 92 total cases on NP, GB, Bimini and Cat Cay. 11 cases on Bimini as the government is “giving strong consideration” to a two week total lockdown there. Bimini is experiencing exponential growth in new cases and is considered a “hotspot”.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:28   #203

Boat: csy 37

friends of ours who were in georgetown sent us a short message.
at first they allowed one person from each boat to go ashore to buy
supplies.
then it became more restrictive. you could not leave your boat or even visit with other boaters.
they deciided to leave and got permission to make a stop in the bahamas as they headed back to florida. not sure where they stopped but it may have been on eluethera.
should get the whole story next week when we visit them.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:56   #204
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

We left from Long Island, specifically Salt Pond because of all the Drama, what you could or could not do changed daily, it started out that if they knew you had been in their anchorage for two weeks, you could come ashore and buy groceries etc, which made sense, but it didn’t stay that way for long. It was fear driven, while some Countries have under emphasized the danger, it might could be that the Bahama’s are overplaying it. I was told by the lady at the gas station at Salt Pond that if one infected person sat foot on the island, they were all dead. and she was convinced of it too.
We left the day the US Embassey sent out an email saying you could leave and under what constraints, then later the Bahamian Government published rules for private boats.
But in the Bahama’s what was allowed varied widely, most family islands were locked down and don’t even think about buying groceries etc, and all fuel docks were closed, for the duration.
When we got to Staniel Cay on the way out, the fuel dock was open, every day, even during the lockdown, and you could buy groceries, but had to wear a mask.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:01   #205
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

These are the rules for any that haven’t already seen them.
Pay particular attention to the last section of paragraph 2 where it says that if you get sick, they aren’t going to treat you. Their words, not mine.
https://bs.usembassy.gov/covid-19-pr...qfRRjUQawK3bfE

What makes it tough is of course there are many boats from as far away as England and Dutch and French boats etc. Returning home for a US boat is no big deal, but for them it is.
Some were getting permission to go to the US, not sure how difficult it was to obtain permission, but some did.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:24   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
These are the rules for any that haven’t already seen them.
Pay particular attention to the last section of paragraph 2 where it says that if you get sick, they aren’t going to treat you. Their words, not mine.
https://bs.usembassy.gov/covid-19-pr...qfRRjUQawK3bfE

What makes it tough is of course there are many boats from as far away as England and Dutch and French boats etc. Returning home for a US boat is no big deal, but for them it is.
Some were getting permission to go to the US, not sure how difficult it was to obtain permission, but some did.
Indeed not unlike the USCG's Covid 19 No Sail Order for Cruise Ships not being allowed to enter US waters and needing to arrange for medical assistance from their vessel's flag country. There be many a cruise ship stuck in Bahamian waters with many, many thousands of crew because the Bahamas are the flag of convenience for the vessel, now the flag of inconvenience for the vast number of crew required to stay in their small cabins, week in, week out with no way to repatriate and many with expired contracts of employment with the cruise ship they are being provided room and food only.

Stay at Home, means at one's country of nationality or permanent residence. When one sails away from your flag country one should be prepared to sail back towards that flag's land which could be far, far away. Chose your vessel's nationality / flag wisely, it has a purpose.
Old 18-05-2020, 17:37   #207
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bahama’s are opening up, I’ll try to find a link, by that I mean relaxing regs for those that are there. Boaters may now go ashore etc.
Here is the whole thing
https://opm.gov.bs/national-address-17-may-2020

Of course we are almost into hurricane season, but next year is looking good?
Old 18-05-2020, 17:59   #208

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
We can hope but some saying about counting chicks before they hatch comes to mind. I think we won't be planning our cruising much more than a month ahead for quite a while.
Old 19-05-2020, 10:21   #209

Boat: 35' sloop

Quote:
Bahama’s are opening up, I’ll try to find a link, by that I mean relaxing regs for those that are there. Boaters may now go ashore etc.
Here is the whole thing

I would guess that might depend on how much of a gambler you happen to be.
I really wouldn't expect a hurricane till August of any import.
From central Florida I could hop over for a few days or week just to be out of here. Imagine, clean water, clean air. Something to look at besides the neighbors!
Old 19-05-2020, 11:19   #210

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Here is the whole thing

I’m watching those announcements like a hawk. Having the boat there, not secured as well as I’d like for a storm, is driving me nuts.

We had to leave for a family emergency and didn’t expect to be gone for as long as we have been. I’ll be on the first flight or ferry allowed into the country!

Tags
Bahamas, emergency, enc