Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2020, 11:37   #211
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Bahamas - EMERGENCY POWERS (COVID 19)(NO. 1) ORDER, 2020 ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonali99 View Post
I would guess that might depend on how much of a gambler you happen to be.
I really wouldn't expect a hurricane till August of any import.
From central Florida I could hop over for a few days or week just to be out of here. Imagine, clean water, clean air. Something to look at besides the neighbors!
I meant 2021 possible cruise. I don’t expect the virus to be gone, but I suspect people will for lack of a better name become accustomed to another possible cause of death.
As deadly and maiming as automobile crashes can be, you would expect we would all drive only when necessary, but we don’t, we drive when we want to and accept the risk.

I guess you can question the validity of these numbers, but if true then a 3% or so chance of death for a 60 yr old isn’t really that bad, I’d say that 3% or 60 year olds are in very poor health anyway with COPD, obesity and or diabetes.

I‘m not saying these are valid numbers, I’ve looked and it’s real tough to find simple numbers, like what are my chances of dyeing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	695F31F7-7551-403C-B961-29F914529D73.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	318.5 KB
ID:	215376  
Old 19-05-2020, 12:01   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I meant 2021 possible cruise. I don’t expect the virus to be gone, but I suspect people will for lack of a better name become accustomed to another possible cause of death.
As deadly and maiming as automobile crashes can be, you would expect we would all drive only when necessary, but we don’t, we drive when we want to and accept the risk.

I guess you can question the validity of these numbers, but if true then a 3% or so chance of death for a 60 yr old isn’t really that bad, I’d say that 3% or 60 year olds are in very poor health anyway with COPD, obesity and or diabetes.

I‘m not saying these are valid numbers, I’ve looked and it’s real tough to find simple numbers, like what are my chances of dyeing?
I have read that of the Covid 19 deaths that have occurred the derived loss of expected life expectancy on average was around 11 years for females and 13 years for males for those that died. I suspect those are preliminary and moving values. Clearly there are age and comorbidity factors in determining fatality statistics as well as severity of illnesses. Those that survive often have significant impairments of near term and to be determined long term wellness and longevity of life. Much being learned and much yet to learn.

Many public policy decisions are based on a cost per year of life statistic.
Old 19-05-2020, 15:04   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

Actually actuaries calculate this all the time. For example, the Social Security Administration publishes their tables at https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html According to them, in 2017, a 60 year old male had a 1.15% chance of dying. If we assume COVID provides a 3% chance of that same 60 year old dying, then it's a whopping 260% greater chance than all other causes of death combined. That's pretty terrifying to me, not something to take comfort in. It's less like getting in your car and more like base jumping or solo free climbing.

Tags
Bahamas, emergency, enc