Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2020, 10:58   #46

Re: Bahamas - EMERGENCY POWERS (COVID 19)(NO. 1) ORDER, 2020 ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I will call it rumor at this point, but I’m hearing that inter island sailing by private vessels is no longer allowed, which in my opinion is logical.
However does anyone know, have a link kind of thing to this?
I have placed an email inquiry to:

Anita Johnson-Patty
General Manager, Global Communications
Bahamas Ministry of Tourism & Aviation

requesting guidance as to restrictions regarding inter-island and / or intra-island travel. I will post her response if and when I get a reply.
Old 23-03-2020, 13:40   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Again, rumor but a boat leaving George Town today was supposedly turned back by Defense Force.
But George Town cruisers are their own little society so to speak, it seems most go and stay in George Town and are used to being allowed to do their own thing I guess. They don’t cruise, they stay in George Town.
I left cause I didn’t want to be stuck there, day before I left, which was after the Emergency powers were instituted that have a $10,000 fine and or 18 months imprisonment for having parties or gatherings, on the radio one boat was getting all the kids boats to bring their kids to flip flop beach to play at 2PM, there was an announcement that water aerobics were taking place, but they were going to social distance, and someone else wanted to get a volley ball game going after 3PM after it cooled down.
Think they are going to get their wrists slapped or worse?
Old 23-03-2020, 13:42   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post

Anita Johnson-Patty

requesting guidance as to restrictions regarding inter-island and / or intra-island travel. I will post her response if and when I get a reply.
Thank you, I appreciate confirmation
Old 24-03-2020, 05:37   #49

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

From the Bahamas eyewitness news..

The order mandates that to prevent and suppress the spread of the virus, all airports, and fixed-based operation shall be closed to incoming international flights carrying any visitor, without the written permission of the “competent authority”; all sea ports shall be closed to regional and international seafaring and private boating; no visitor shall be permitted to enter or disembark for any reason, including transiting through The Bahamas.

https://ewnews.com/new-order-closes-...s-for-business
Old 24-03-2020, 06:15   #50

If I was cruising in the Bahamas right now, I think I would be heading home before the next shoe dropped, and I wasn't allowed to leave.
Old 24-03-2020, 06:33   #51

As a side note, apparently the Berries are a new cruise ship graveyard. I count 8 of them anchored NW of the Berries on the Bank.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200324-093030~2.jpeg
Views:	116
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	211151
Old 24-03-2020, 07:40   #52

Boat: Borrensen BB-10

Maybe a good time to go to stealth mode on your AIS?
Old 24-03-2020, 07:41   #53

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.5 (Moorings 51)

This is the actual order.

https://opmbahamas.com/wp-content/up...ID19-No.-2.pdf
Old 24-03-2020, 07:49   #54

I had trouble with that link.. I think this one works at least for now..

https://opmbahamas.com/wp-content/up...ID19-No.-2.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben51 View Post
Old 24-03-2020, 08:06   #55

Boat: Hylas 44

Here is the official message: https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...&__tn__=%2B%3D

According to noonsite.com: COVID-19 CORONAVIRUS RESTRICTIONS:

24 March, 2020:

Ports of entry are now closed and visiting yachts will be turned away.
Transiting through the Bahamas also prohibited by private yacht.
No inter-island by private yacht permitted.
Airports closed to international flights.
Mandatory 24hr curfew until March 31, unless it is extended.
Only essential workers carrying appropriate identification will be permitted on the streets. The Royal Bahamas Police Force have been granted the power to stop and search any vehicle.
Grocery shopping and refueling are considered to be essential activities and persons engaged in those activities will be permitted to continue. The Prime Minister has also asked supermarkets to reserve the hours of 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM for seniors to shop.
The new measures are in addition to the previous emergency order linked to below.

Fines = $10 000 + 18 month jails.

Best recommendation to Us and Canadian flagged vessels: Sail back in US, store your boat in a safe place and come back home while the borders are still open.
DTOPS apps stil work, Cruising Permit are still available in airport ( West Palm Beach).
Good luck!
Old 24-03-2020, 08:15   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post

Anita Johnson-Patty

So I see others have provided the official guidance, excellent.

I have not yet heard from Anita Johnson-Patty, I suspect she may be working at home, given that the Bahamas are shut down, no tourism, no yachts, no aviation.

Farewell all.
Old 24-03-2020, 13:48   #57

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

We left Staniel Cay Sunday at first light and went straight across to Morgan’s Bluff where we joined a 1/2 dozen other boats. Monday morning we set off for Cat Cay and arrived at the airport anchorage around 5:30, it blew up a bit later that night and we had our first anchor drag ever around 10:45pm. I tried to drop it in sand, but I think I missed and put it in grass, FYI: 55kg Rocna Vulcan with 5/8” chain at 5:1. A reset and another 50’ of chain for 7:1 and we were good for the night. Tuesday morning, today, we left at first light and had and uneventful crossing to Lake Worth and we are anchored around 4:00.

We have AIS and perhaps that kept the Coast Guard away, since the cruiser ahead of us got stopped by a cutter wanting to know names, last ports of call, etc. They didn’t have AIS so the USCG had to approach them and get the details on the radio. We used CBP Roam to clear and it was seamless and easy. Upon entering Lake Worth we were stopped by a water cop who took our names and birthdays as well as asking about last port and if we had a fever or cough. And that was it.
Old 24-03-2020, 14:31   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
If I was cruising in the Bahamas right now, I think I would be heading home before the next shoe dropped, and I wasn't allowed to leave.
I don’t think that will happen, I can’t imagine why they wouldn’t want us gone actually, if anything I’d expect an order to leave.
Strangely though there still is no order that affects private yachts, either we are so small in number we have been forgotten about or for some reason there may be a legal issue of what they can or can’t do with a foreign flagged vessel, or possibly they are concerned with ticking off the US?
Today we had four new arrivals in Salt Pond Long Island, I assume they are coming from the Jumentos or Ragged islands, and may not have heard any of this as the only cell phone tower I see is on Ragged Island itself, which is the end of the chain.
Obviously I believe across the world there are cruisers showing up to get a bad surprise as some won’t allow them entry etc. being low on fuel, water and food and being told to sail away would be a bad thing.
Old 24-03-2020, 14:49   #59

We are in North Eleuthera. Several other cruisers here. We have plenty of provisions so just planning on staying put and on the boat for now.

I think cruisers currently in the Bahamas should minimize contact with shore to do their part in staying safe and keeping the locals safe.
Old 24-03-2020, 16:30   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

North Eluthra would be a good place to be, I’d be tempted to hole up in Royal Island Harbor.
I was in George Town when this started and didn’t want to stay there, North was too far so I went to Long Island, which I think is a good place to be.
I am very surprised that cruising boats have not been given orders to proceed to nearest harbor and grow roots and or stay where they are and not move.
Many of us believe that is the intent of the Emergency powers declaration and are staying in place.

Tags
Bahamas, emergency, enc