Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2020, 16:08   #61

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Re: BVI Announces reopening protocols for Dec 1

I can understand being super vigilant. I am that way myself. But people are really suffering worldwide. What surprises me most during this catastrophe, as compared to other catastrophes, is no one is rallied around any fund raising events. I keep reading various travel forums and the "tourists" are chiming in with their complaints, bashing tbe government (they did srew up communication) claiming they are concerned for their island friends, BVI residents, complaining they can't utilize their villas, boats, or vacations. Yet not one rally for a concerted effort about helping or offering help.
After the hurricanes there were go fund me accouts. People organizing containers of relief products. People purchasing future meals at restaurants to keep them afloat, people purchasing products to keep gift shops afloat.
I just find it so weird in this circumstance people are reacting very differently.
I would like to organize something but I'm a terrible organizer. I generally just contribute when asked to.
In my opinion this is a greater devastation than a localized natural event. It's every where. But why the lack of community? Maybe it's happening on FB but I don't go there anymore. But I haven't seen any compassionate effort on any travel forum to help any island econmy other than to complain that they can't have their well deserved vacations, or their inability to visit their yachts and villas. IDK it's very dissapointing to me.
Old 12-11-2020, 16:41   #62

Boat: Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidIdeal View Post
...and mobile technology solutions actually paid for most of it so I think my opinion has at least a little bit of knowledge behind it.

Oh, and don’t even get me started on Boatyball…..
Agree with everything you say about the widgets and gadgets they are hoping will work for this... I am wondering how the widget will stand up to a dive to 70 ft...

For the folks who are bent out shape about their liberties being infringed: the reality is that most if not all governments are not capable of exploiting such violations of your privacy. And you are already giving away far more than they could get every time you post on Facebook, use your Apple watch, sign up for a grocery store "loyalty" card, or log in to places like this using your normal email address. You are honestly worried about the wrong adversary.

That said...was just in BVI a couple years ago and had not heard of Boatyball, and had to do some research. O. M. G. W. T. F. I can see the appeal to some extent, but this reminds me more of the HOT Lanes (aka "Lexus lanes") in the US where you can pay to drive in special lanes of the highway to avoid traffic. The advanced payment option reeks of this money grubbing. As I posted earlier, my charter company had been saying that the quarantine anchorages would be places without shore structures, aka places without moorings. Why do I get the feeling the Boatyball lobby got in there and said oh no, moorings are better. Especially ours.

Anyway - not going to let any of these technical details get in the way of my (hopefully still on) trip.

My biggest worry right now is trying to find a covid testing site that can get me test results within the three day window needed for higher-and-higher-risk-every-day-USA. Flying in thru STT makes the window even tighter. So far the service promoted by American Airlines is looking like the best. Would welcome any thoughts from anyone else researching the issue...
Old 12-11-2020, 17:29   #63
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
I can understand being super vigilant. I am that way myself. But people are really suffering worldwide. What surprises me most during this catastrophe, as compared to other catastrophes, is no one is rallied around any fund raising events. I keep reading various travel forums and the "tourists" are chiming in with their complaints, bashing tbe government (they did srew up communication) claiming they are concerned for their island friends, BVI residents, complaining they can't utilize their villas, boats, or vacations. Yet not one rally for a concerted effort about helping or offering help.
After the hurricanes there were go fund me accouts. People organizing containers of relief products. People purchasing future meals at restaurants to keep them afloat, people purchasing products to keep gift shops afloat.
I just find it so weird in this circumstance people are reacting very differently.
I would like to organize something but I'm a terrible organizer. I generally just contribute when asked to.
In my opinion this is a greater devastation than a localized natural event. It's every where. But why the lack of community? Maybe it's happening on FB but I don't go there anymore. But I haven't seen any compassionate effort on any travel forum to help any island econmy other than to complain that they can't have their well deserved vacations, or their inability to visit their yachts and villas. IDK it's very dissapointing to me.

I agree. And, whilst I am in favour of a careful but inviting opening, I will say that I get the sense that the majority of prospective guests are much more concerned about their vacations than about the local population or crew, if they have crew. And, for that segment of the population (and it's a large segment in the US) that dismisses the virus, still think it's the flu or maybe a hoax, I think it's doubly true. For me, the nightmare scenario will come when a group of guests, with full advanced knowledge of the protocols (which include wearing a mask on the boat, for the protection of the crew) start asserting that their constitutional rights are being denied, etc.etc.etc.....!
Old 12-11-2020, 18:43   #64

Boat: Seaward 22

Their country, they get to make their own rules. I don't like their rules, so I won't go. For people who have property there...that is the chance you take having property in another country. Although, this was a freak situation.

If the islanders don't like the rules, they should seek redress from their government.
Old 12-11-2020, 19:07   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
I keep reading various travel forums and the "tourists" are chiming in with their complaints, bashing tbe government (they did srew up communication) claiming they are concerned for their island friends, BVI residents, complaining they can't utilize their villas, boats, or vacations. Yet not one rally for a concerted effort about helping or offering help.
You raise an interesting observation. My guess is that the pandemic is a disaster everywhere. I am not a psychologist, but I think that it is probably easier to garner sympathy and support for a specific place that suffered a specific disaster than it is to send disaster support "to the world." With that thought in mind, it could also be that people are focused on acting locally...shoring up the people and businesses at home that need help. I know I have been ordering from restaurants more frequently than normal, and tipping my barber more generously than normal because I want these people to still be in business after the pandemic is done, and I know their business is really low. I am very glad I am not in their shoes wondering how I am going to pay my rent or pay my staff.

When I go to the BVI (hopefully) I will be carrying that same thought in mind, and helping folks be successful by giving them my business - and being appreciative that they are still there.
Old 02-12-2020, 19:06   #66

Lots of developments in this in the last couple weeks...

Tourism/charter guidance is now available at https://www.bvitourism.com/reopening

My charter company (TMM) has been very kind to tack four free charters days onto the front of my charter to live out the quarantine period on my boat, so that is cool. The airlines were kind as well, and there were no change fees for moving the flights around. Timing really worked out for us - hope others are seeing the same...

As I am a US resident planning on going to BVI in later December, one major item is still pending some clarification. Some of the authoritative (BVI) references online say we must get tested three days before arrival (based on US being a “high risk” country) but all of the most recent references say we must get test FIVE days before arrival. Around here (northern VA), there is only ONE place we can get results guaranteed in 2-3 days, and it is $200 per person. I suspect we are the lucky ones. Everyplace else around here is 3-5 days. Maybe. I have reached out to BOTH of the listed BVI contacts and gotten zero response to this question after more than a week (reopening@bvitourism.com and WhatsApp 284-496-6129.) The recent references saying 5 days:
- The new airport FAQ at https://www.bviaacloud.com/covid-19-protocol/faq
- The How to Get Here link at the top of the BVItourism site.
- And buried in the Health Details page of the new BVIGateway site.

I would rather spend the $1000 in the BVI so it would be great if they could figure this out. I suppose I could just assume these recent links are correct, but would suck to find out these sites are not authoritative when I am standing in the airport on Beef Island... If anyone has additional insight please chime in.

One key bit of info that has only appeared in anecdote until now: I found this buried in one of the BVI press release sites: https://bvi.gov.vg/media-centre/trav...ect-quarantine - showing the permitted moorings/anchorages for the 4-day quarantine period. Would be nice if they could post this in the main https://www.bvitourism.com/reopening site... There is another page on the BVIgov site somewhere that says quarantined folks will be able to go ashore at "select" locations, but have not seen a list yet. Perhaps coincident with these isolated mooring locations...

Looking at this map - not sure anyone in their right mind would moor overnight off the NW corner of George Dog in December winds...happy to be corrected by anyone that has done it...along with any tips.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:22   #67
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I would seriously question the morality of holidaying in the midst of a pandemic, irrespective of the minutiae of the regulations
Old 03-12-2020, 05:21   #68

<Eye-roll and skipping to the punch-line>

NO-body expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Old 03-12-2020, 05:24   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I would seriously question the morality of holidaying in the midst of a pandemic, irrespective of the minutiae of the regulations
And I question your risk assessment and also don't like fluffy arguments with morality, especially if it is a request towards others.

You cannot shut down everything for ever and the state pays pensions. As you know, there are no 100 % guarantees in life, go boating, you are on a boat, right? Much higher risk than standing on your Yoga mat at home.

Tourism is an important sector for BVI, they have to restart things and tourists must come. Personally I won't (too far away and with this 20000-fine-stunt I wouldn't want to), but still, they need tourists/charterers.
Old 15-12-2020, 05:50   #70

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMonstrEd View Post
Many of the charter boats have moved to other places like here in the USVI where we welcome visitors and don't charge unreasonable fees or anything to travel here. Oh and our booze is cheap.
Hmm. Doesn't the US and by extension the USVI and Puerto Rico only 'welcome' US citizens, and foreign nationals that already hold the relevant visa?

The ESTA is suspended, and any boats visiting need a visa in advance which it isn't possible to get.

As for the BVI, no doubt it they screw up their tourism, they (the Governor) will go cap in hand to the UK to ask for some hand outs.
Old 15-12-2020, 05:54   #71
Nearly an old salt

BVI Announces reopening protocols for Dec 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post
And I question your risk assessment and also don't like fluffy arguments with morality, especially if it is a request towards others.

You cannot shut down everything for ever and the state pays pensions. As you know, there are no 100 % guarantees in life, go boating, you are on a boat, right? Much higher risk than standing on your Yoga mat at home.

Tourism is an important sector for BVI, they have to restart things and tourists must come. Personally I won't (too far away and with this 20000-fine-stunt I wouldn't want to), but still, they need tourists/charterers.

I’m sure the bvi will decide when it wants tourists it’s not up to you or i to decide we will visit whenever we like.

As I said there is a global pandemic , people all over the world are advised against unnecessary travel. A pleasure sailboat is the very definition of unnecessary travel

Here our airports have always been open , but vast majority of people cancelled unnecessary travel on the advise issued by public health doctors. Ie on moral grounds
Old 15-12-2020, 05:58   #72
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Ouch! No charter season this year unless the restrictions are eased

yep. these guys may succeed in destroying what's left of their business after the hurricanes. it seems the cure may be more devastating than the disease.
Old 15-12-2020, 06:01   #73
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
yep. these guys may succeed in destroying what's left of their business after the hurricanes. it seems the cure may be more devastating than the disease.

The charter business will come back.
Old 15-12-2020, 06:55   #74

I believe that the ESTA is not suspended, as I have been reminded to renew mine today, but it is only for people arriving by commercial transport. Otherwise you need a visa.

Tags
BVI, rot