Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 17-04-2021, 21:46   #1501

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Well, I thought universal single-payer healthcare is a no-brainer too, but the US has proved me wrong.
Single-payer is not the only approach to universal healthcare, so I would not agree that it's a no-brainer. We don't have single-payer healthcare in the Nordic region.

Neither are the best-rated health care systems in the world -- France, and Singapore -- single-payer.

Single-payer systems work better than what we have in the U.S. (anything does), but have significant drawbacks compared to the French or Nordic systems. In my opinion, the French system is the best we know, and the Obama administration was right to use that as the model for Obamacare, which in my opinion was a really noble effort to reform our system, unfortunately flawed in execution and derailed by our viciously polarized politics.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 17-04-2021, 22:06   #1502

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Canada set another record for new COVID-19 cases Thursday, with daily infections surging past 9,500 [9,564], for the first time, since the pandemic began over a year ago.

Fifty-five new deaths, since Wednesday, brought the national death toll to 23,500. The country has seen a total of 1,096,722 infections to date, 990,080 of whom are considered recovered.
As of Thursday evening, 51,643 cases of all three new variants, identified in Canada, have been confirmed, mostly the ‘B.1.1.7' [UK] variant. The number of ‘P.1' [Brasil] cases has increased by nearly four times over the past two weeks. There are now 1,882 confirmed cases of ‘P.1' in Canada.
The variants are also driving up hospitalizations, with 3,691 people now receiving medical care for COVID-19. The number is approaching the peak of nearly 5,000 reported in January.
To date, over 9.2 million vaccine doses have been administered across Canada.
Canada's turn to get whacked by the virus has come up. I'm sorry about it.

Those with politicized views (one way or the other) of pandemic measures like to think -- we did it this way and are doing well, THEREFORE we will always do well because we did this or that.

However, there is considerable influence of random, uncontrollable factors in how the pandemic develops in different places. We see again and again that this or that country might have done well in one wave, and then does really badly in the next wave, despite using the same measures.

I'm in Finland which is the least affected country in Europe. We've not had any one of the three waves which have washed over much of the rest of Europe. However no one here thinks it's all because we're so cool or came up with such a superior approach to dealing with the pandemic. We know we've been lucky -- so far. Tomorrow might be our turn. Just like Denmark got whacked in the second wave, Estonia in the third -- neighbor countries who got through the first wave with almost zero effects.

Vaccination is the only way out of this and I'm sorry it's going slowly there. Hang on. Politicians are going to lock down because they are afraid that if they don't, they will be accused of not having done enough. I'm afraid this will inflict damage and suffering without significant benefit compared to less destructive measures. But that is what politicians have done in most countries. Sorry.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 18-04-2021, 02:18   #1503
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I'm surprised that no one has yet blamed the spread of Covid on Alien spacecraft now documented buzzing Navy ships

https://youtu.be/SKsLK_Na7iw
Old 18-04-2021, 03:51   #1504
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Ontario walks back new policing powers following pushback

Ontario's government walked back some of its new policing powers one day after they were announced, now only allowing police to stop vehicles or people if they are suspected of participating in an organized public event or social gathering.

Doug Ford's government initially said on Friday that police could stop people at random and ask why they are not at home and where they live as part of a strengthened stay-at-home order to help stem a rising number of COVID-19 cases.

In a statement Saturday, Solicitor General Sylvia Jones said officers will no longer have the right to stop any pedestrian or vehicle to ask why they are out or request their home address.

"If a police officer or other provincial offences officer has reason to suspect that you are participating in an organized public event or social gathering, they may require you to provide information to ensure you are complying with restrictions," Jones said

"Every individual who is required to provide a police officer or other provincial offences officer with information shall promptly comply."

More ➥ https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ecks-1.5991872

See also:

What you can and cannot do now that Ontario has tightened its stay-at-home order
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...t-do-1.5991941

Old 18-04-2021, 05:18   #1505

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Dockhead,

I have been really appreciating your posts. It is great to have the broader international perspective. And I think looking at the world wide statistics says a great deal, mostly about how little we truly understand and how governments and cultures behave. There is still a great deal to learn about human nature from this experience.
Old 18-04-2021, 05:22   #1506

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Ontario walks back new policing powers following pushback
What a relief. And what a silly self-inflicted wound for the Ford government. Why?? Why would they have thought arbitrary police stops would be a good idea?

I applaud the police forces for strongly pushing back on this new power. Increased enforcement does not require tossing out the standard of "reasonable suspicion."
Old 18-04-2021, 05:30   #1507

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
However, there is considerable influence of random, uncontrollable factors in how the pandemic develops in different places. We see again and again that this or that country might have done well in one wave, and then does really badly in the next wave, despite using the same measures.
I was reflecting on the same phenomena even within Canada. There were many places which managed to avoid the first and second waves here in this vast country of ours. It was mostly, but not only, smaller more rural or remote areas. But eventually their time came as well.

Even places like Newfoundland which have been incredibly successful at keeping the virus out (at great cost) had a significant outbreak during their provincial election. No one is an island -- not even the islanders .
Old 18-04-2021, 05:55   #1508

Boat: Heritage 35

Quote:
After I got my vaccination, I got an "OFFICIAL RECEIPT", from the Ontario Ministry of Health, indicating all details.
I have no idea who would accept this as proof of vaccination.
I just put mine in with my inoculation record book (yellow lifetime passport) and my blue expensive 10 year passport. So when I get the chance to travel? I should be good to go. Maybe?
Old 18-04-2021, 06:26   #1509

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Dockhead,

I have been really appreciating your posts. It is great to have the broader international perspective. And I think looking at the world wide statistics says a great deal, mostly about how little we truly understand and how governments and cultures behave. There is still a great deal to learn about human nature from this experience.

Thank you for the kind remarks.

Indeed -- there is a lot to learn about human nature. And about politics. And about managing crises like this. I do hope to God that we will learn something, and be better prepared for the next.

Besides the obvious screw-ups, however, I think there have been some real triumphs. We can learn from those too.
Walt Whitman
Old 18-04-2021, 06:29   #1510

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I was reflecting on the same phenomena even within Canada. There were many places which managed to avoid the first and second waves here in this vast country of ours. It was mostly, but not only, smaller more rural or remote areas. But eventually their time came as well.

Even places like Newfoundland which have been incredibly successful at keeping the virus out (at great cost) had a significant outbreak during their provincial election.
I think the main takeaway from this is that we have to be humble.

We need a whole lot more science to really understand how this works so that we know better what to do next time. At this point it's safe to say we really don't know that much about what factors go into the dynamics of the pandemic to what extent, which has made policymaking, even without the moral hazards of politics, really difficult. I guess we will be analyzing this pandemic for decades to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
No one is an island -- not even the islanders .
Well said!
Walt Whitman
Old 18-04-2021, 06:45   #1511

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
in sight and well Alberta, as always, is overly optimistic and putting its faith in the hands of "personal responsibility" so we'd better hope the vaccine does its job or we will be right up there with Ontario.
Actually, Alberta is already there. If you check out the site below, Alberta's infection rate for the last seven days is 216/100,000. Ontario is 208.

https://health-infobase.canada.ca/co...ast7&map=pt#a2
Old 18-04-2021, 07:07   #1512

In case this was missed... yes, Ontario yacht clubs and marinas are also shut down. I think some professional yards can still work on boats on behalf of their clients, but no owners onsite to work on their own boats, no owner access to docks (with the exception of prior liveaboards).

So... I am now officially bummed. But it will be like last year, when they resumed normal operations around June. In the meantime, I can ride my bicycle, dodging police checkpoints. And our outboard is at home, so I can take that to bits if I really need a nautical tinkering fix.
Old 18-04-2021, 07:48   #1513

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Actually, Alberta is already there. If you check out the site below, Alberta's infection rate for the last seven days is 216/100,000. Ontario is 208.

https://health-infobase.canada.ca/co...ast7&map=pt#a2
Well I am not gonna argue with you, but suffice it to say we all have our own "pet" numbers that we use to judge the severity of this thing based on our own philosophies and opinions. Obviously mine isn't infection rate But no matter, Alberta is definitely going in the wrong direction.
Old 18-04-2021, 13:35   #1514

A panel of experts say infections in Ontario could increase by 600% by June if public health measures are weak and vaccination rates do not pick up.

Last week, for the first time since the pandemic began, Canada registered more cases per million than the US.

Ontario is now introducing strict new public measures, including:

a six-week stay-at-home order

restrictions on non-essential travel, including checkpoints at the borders with the neighbouring provinces of Quebec and Manitoba

new powers for police to stop and question people who leave home

a halt to non-essential construction

Well as Yogi Berra wisely stated: "It ain't over 'til its over.

And this pandemic looks like it will be entering extra innings for 2021. Perhaps 2022 will be a back to normal year.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/covid-can...193926848.html
Old 18-04-2021, 13:58   #1515

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
In case this was missed... yes, Ontario yacht clubs and marinas are also shut down. I think some professional yards can still work on boats on behalf of their clients, but no owners onsite to work on their own boats, no owner access to docks (with the exception of prior liveaboards).

So... I am now officially bummed. But it will be like last year, when they resumed normal operations around June. In the meantime, I can ride my bicycle, dodging police checkpoints. And our outboard is at home, so I can take that to bits if I really need a nautical tinkering fix.
Not necessarily, one Canadian Boat Tuber, has been going hard at it along with his yard/club. SLK. in case the anti fun Nazi's are reading.😎