Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 19-04-2021, 09:48   #1531

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Politics & public opinion is a funny thing: it makes us get our cause and effect wrong based on our own bias. As far as I can tell the provinces were prohibited from using the AZ vaccine for under 55 until Sunday when the Feds gave permission to administer it to anyone over 18. That's when Ont and Alta made their announcements (which they bloody well should have IMHO).

So no, it's not the fear of the people that caused Ford to change its policies, it's the change in the federal mandate. Did the feds wait too long to open it up again? I don't know, but it's their job to judge/monitor the safety of medicines and the provinces' job to deliver the service. So, to me, everything is working as it should given the complete cock-up that is covid generally.

Quote:
On Sunday, however, the federal government said the provinces and territories were free to expand eligibility for the AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine to any adult over the age of 18 as some pharmacists warned they had doses sitting idle because of the age restrictions.

"Provinces and territories are free to use AstraZeneca in any population over 18 per Health Canada's license for use in Canada," federal Health Minister Patty Hajdu told reporters.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...-age-1.5992703
Old 19-04-2021, 11:08   #1532

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Politics & public opinion is a funny thing: it makes us get our cause and effect wrong based on our own bias. As far as I can tell the provinces were prohibited from using the AZ vaccine for under 55 until Sunday when the Feds gave permission to administer it to anyone over 18. That's when Ont and Alta made their announcements (which they bloody well should have IMHO).

So no, it's not the fear of the people that caused Ford to change its policies, it's the change in the federal mandate. Did the feds wait too long to open it up again? I don't know, but it's their job to judge/monitor the safety of medicines and the provinces' job to deliver the service. So, to me, everything is working as it should given the complete cock-up that is covid generally.
Mac, my understanding was that Health Canada had approved AZ for general use, but the National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) had recommended it only be used for 55+ folks. I don't think this has changed.

Up until now the provinces, which have the final say in all things health related, were following NACI's advice. But now that the shyte is really hitting the fan in Ontario and Alberta, they've opted to lower the age.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...er-adults.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...ccines.html#t1
Old 19-04-2021, 11:12   #1533

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Mac, my understanding was that Health Canada had approved AZ for general use, but the National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) had recommended it only be used for 55+ folks. I don't think this has changed.

Up until now the provinces, which have the final say in all things health related, were following NACI's advice. But now that the shyte is really hitting the fan in Ontario and Alberta, they've opted to lower the age.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...er-adults.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...ccines.html#t1
You know with access to all this information you'd think things would be at least slightly clearer than mud. I read this to. mean Health Canada not NACI. But now I am still not sure what agency it is referring to:

Quote:
NACI is now reviewing updated information from Health Canada. The health agency announced this week that it has determined AstraZeneca is safe and will not be restricting its use in any specific populations.
Old 19-04-2021, 12:14   #1534

Apologize for the thread drift, but there are reports that the proposed budget for Canada includes a luxury tax next year of 10% on yachts purchases valued over C$250,000. Similarly as to vehicles priced at over C$100,000.

I have not been able to discern if that is just for new yachts or includes resale of used yachts.

Something to keep your eye on. Details will likely be published in the near future.
Old 19-04-2021, 12:35   #1535

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Apologize for the thread drift, but there are reports that the proposed budget for Canada includes a luxury tax next year of 10% on yachts purchases valued over C$250,000. Similarly as to vehicles priced at over C$100,000.

I have not been able to discern if that is just for new yachts or includes resale of used yachts.

Something to keep your eye on. Details will likely be published in the near future.
From Financial Post: "The budget will also include a luxury tax effective from 2022 on new cars and private aircraft valued at more than $100,000, and boats worth over $250,000, government sources familiar with the document told Reuters."

No indication of "10%" (Back in March, luxury car dealers were warning about this.)

Budget comes down in a few hours; we'll know then.

Values are not in my territory....
Old 19-04-2021, 12:40   #1536

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Could be a budget leak but these are pretty rare at least in the past. Not hard to imagine some form of luxury tax or wealth tax though.
Old 19-04-2021, 15:26   #1537

New proposed luxury tax is one-time 20% tax on amount ABOVE the level (above 250k for boats: so a 251k boat would have 20% tax on $1000).
Old 19-04-2021, 17:20   #1538

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
New proposed luxury tax is one-time 20% tax on amount ABOVE the level (above 250k for boats: so a 251k boat would have 20% tax on $1000).
That item of the budget is a bit of a "cheap shot" on the liberals part!
Old 19-04-2021, 17:42   #1539

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
now now, no politics...
Old 19-04-2021, 18:01   #1540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
You know with access to all this information you'd think things would be at least slightly clearer than mud. I read this to. mean Health Canada not NACI. But now I am still not sure what agency it is referring to:

Agreed. It's all very confusing, especially for the general public. It's no wonder so many people are "vaccine hesitant."
Old 19-04-2021, 19:09   #1541

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Interesting that the luxury tax starts at $250,000 for boats and $100,000 for planes and cars, not that I was considering any of the above.
Old 19-04-2021, 19:18   #1542

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Interesting that the luxury tax starts at $250,000 for boats and $100,000 for planes and cars, not that I was considering any of the above.

Yeah, I think I'm safe . Although... I just saw a sister ship of mine listed for $273,000 USD, so maybe .
Old 19-04-2021, 19:32   #1543

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

How about an extra 20% tax on politician's incomes as well as taxing them the cost of their publicly-funded body guards!
Old 19-04-2021, 21:18   #1544

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
I am gobsmacked by this. Don't the legislators read? None of them knows how to use Google?

This is identical to a measure implemented in the U.S. 30 years ago, which was an unmitigated disaster. A tax which even in our polarized political world is universally considered to have been idiotic and disastrous, significantly REDUCING tax revenue while putting thousands out of work.

Read about it here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-fad8c42cf55b/
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 20-04-2021, 04:33   #1545

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

To add to the fun: A-Z is now available to everyone 40+ and we now have more vaccine delivery delays to look forward to! Just can't catch a break!

https://www.insauga.com/ontario-gove...ill-be-delayed