Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 20-04-2021, 04:50   #1546

Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
How about an extra 20% tax on politician's incomes as well as taxing them the cost of their publicly-funded body guards!
Bodyguards? We are talking about Canada here

The new luxury tax is a silly bit of tokenism, and won't raise significant taxes. And any wealthy person already knows that you don't buy luxury cars, your business leases them and writes them off.
Old 20-04-2021, 05:50   #1547

Boat: J/88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yeah, I think I'm safe . Although... I just saw a sister ship of mine listed for $273,000 USD, so maybe .
So quite likely the selling price of your boat would be reduced by the amount of this tax when you decide, if you decide, to sell assuming the other boats the buyer was considering were in a different part of the world without such a tax.

A related question would be how it would be applied on transactions where the buyer was outside Canada and the situation where the boat came from outside Canada. I think currently a foreign buyer would not pay sales taxes here but rather in their home country but I am not sure.
Old 20-04-2021, 06:16   #1548

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstanford View Post
So quite likely the selling price of your boat would be reduced by the amount of this tax when you decide, if you decide, to sell assuming the other boats the buyer was considering were in a different part of the world without such a tax.
Still be a heck of a payday for me, given that my sisterships usually sell in the $50k to $120k range.

Quote:
A related question would be how it would be applied on transactions where the buyer was outside Canada and the situation where the boat came from outside Canada. I think currently a foreign buyer would not pay sales taxes here but rather in their home country but I am not sure.
I take your point; that this new tax is really quite silly. It's largely symbolic. It's meant to show how tough the Liberals are on the rich "fat cats" without actually doing anything substantive.
Old 20-04-2021, 06:45   #1549

Boat: Stevens 47

Quote:

The tax is suppose to be a one time tax on new boats/cars/planes so would probably increase selling price for used boats.
Old 20-04-2021, 07:55   #1550

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
To add to the fun: A-Z is now available to everyone 40+ and we now have more vaccine delivery delays to look forward to! Just can't catch a break!

https://www.insauga.com/ontario-gove...ill-be-delayed
Don't know about Ontario [emoji848], but here in British Columbia, we consider expansion of eligibility of AZ to 40+ a good thing. Our "younger" family members quickly took advantage of this yesterday.
Old 20-04-2021, 08:36   #1551

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I am gobsmacked by this. Don't the legislators read? None of them knows how to use Google?

This is identical to a measure implemented in the U.S. 30 years ago, which was an unmitigated disaster. A tax which even in our polarized political world is universally considered to have been idiotic and disastrous, significantly REDUCING tax revenue while putting thousands out of work.

Read about it here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-fad8c42cf55b/
The US luxury tax hit American manufacturers very hard. Can't think of any Canadian manufacturers of cars and planes over $100K. Only a few boat manufacturers over $250K (Kanter comes to mind) and they mainly export. Any time you bring in a new tax there will be losers. I don't see too many here.
Old 20-04-2021, 08:38   #1552

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Still be a heck of a payday for me, given that my sisterships usually sell in the $50k to $120k range.

I take your point; that this new tax is really quite silly. It's largely symbolic. It's meant to show how tough the Liberals are on the rich "fat cats" without actually doing anything substantive.
I sent that to my MP, along with the link from DH (thanks, bud), and pointed out that the rich would just buy and maintain their boats out of country, killing jobs and investment in Canada.
I should get a reply sometime today, as she is a neighbour, a few crescents away.
Old 20-04-2021, 17:53   #1553

On Tuesday, Canada extended its border restrictions with the USA until at least, May 21, according to Public Safety Minister Bill Blair. Only essential travel will be permitted across Canada's border with the U.S., reports Reuters, continuing restrictions that have been in place since March 2020.
Old 20-04-2021, 17:57   #1554

Canada's biggest city Toronto and neighboring Peel, both of which are in the midst of a third wave of COVID-19 infections, on Tuesday said they would order businesses to close if they had outbreaks involving five or more people, medical officials said.
The closures would be for a minimum of 10 days if workers "could have reasonably acquired their infection at work," according to a release from Peel Public Health.

Separately, the U.S. state of North Dakota will administer COVID-19 vaccines to Manitoba-based truckers transporting goods to and from the United States. "With adequate vaccine supplies and all North Dakotans having access to vaccine ... we want to do our part to ensure essential workers from Canada who are frequently traveling through our state are vaccinated," North Dakota Governor Doug Burgum said in a statement.
Old 20-04-2021, 18:37   #1555
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

That is great cooperation from Dakota for targeted solutions .
Hopefully will be copied
Old 20-04-2021, 18:43   #1556

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Most of the Manitoba truckers I know, and know of, are old enough to already be vaccinated. Nice thought though.��
Old 20-04-2021, 20:36   #1557

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
On Tuesday, Canada extended its border restrictions with the USA until at least, May 21, according to Public Safety Minister Bill Blair. Only essential travel will be permitted across Canada's border with the U.S., reports Reuters, continuing restrictions that have been in place since March 2020.
Reporting from south of the border (Washington/BC): for the last two weeks mid to large size boats have been coming into the marina. We are literally yards south of the border. These are not the usual boats we've seen in the last several years, they're from Oregon and lower Puget Sound. Our normally empty dock is chock full.

I asked the latest boat from San Diego why, since the border has been closed and probably will continue to be. I know you can go straight through but these large power boats are going to have to stop often for fuel at the very least.

He told me that he had heard from several friends that the border was going to open July 1st. He showed me the emails. I asked some of the other boats and they were under the same impression. I live on the border and have two friends who are border officers and we have not heard this. As far as I know, there is no date except this imagined one.

So by my count we have at least 25 extra boats - and this is at the commercial dock, I have no idea about the other gates - and they have all come here on nothing more than a rumor. Has anyone else heard this? It seems a huge gamble based on hot air to me but these folks are betting pretty big money on it.

Signed,
Confused in Washington
Old 20-04-2021, 20:52   #1558

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
So by my count we have at least 25 extra boats - and this is at the commercial dock, I have no idea about the other gates - and they have all come here on nothing more than a rumor. Has anyone else heard this? It seems a huge gamble based on hot air to me but these folks are betting pretty big money on it.
I'd say it's a gamble. There's certainly a hope and desire to have the border opened soon. Having it open by Canada Day (July 1) is certainly politically and emotionally attractive, and some tourism groups are calling for this to happen. But I've seen no definitive plan from any government to do so. Heck, I've seen no plan at all.

So I'd say it's hot air and wishful thinking at this point. And if we (Canada) don't get our infection rates way down, it might rightfully be the Americans who now insist that it remain closed.
Old 20-04-2021, 21:24   #1559

Quote:

He told me that he had heard from several friends that the border was going to open July 1st. He showed me the emails.

... is at the commercial dock, I have no idea about the other gates - and they have all come here on nothing more than a rumor............

Confused in Washington

Wait, "He showed me the emails." EWhat more do you need? It was NOT imagined. "He showed me the emails."

This is not a rumor.
It is not imagined.
"He showed me the emails."

This is not a rumor.
It is not imagined.

This is not a rumor.
It is not imagined.

This is not a rumor.
It is not imagined.

This is not a rumor.
It is not imagined.

This is not a rumor.
It is not imagined.

This is not a rumor.
It is not imagined.

This is not a rumor.
It is not imagined.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 20-04-2021, 21:46   #1560

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Reporting from south of the border (Washington/BC): for the last two weeks mid to large size boats have been coming into the marina. We are literally yards south of the border. These are not the usual boats we've seen in the last several years, they're from Oregon and lower Puget Sound. Our normally empty dock is chock full.

I asked the latest boat from San Diego why, since the border has been closed and probably will continue to be. I know you can go straight through but these large power boats are going to have to stop often for fuel at the very least.

He told me that he had heard from several friends that the border was going to open July 1st. He showed me the emails. I asked some of the other boats and they were under the same impression. I live on the border and have two friends who are border officers and we have not heard this. As far as I know, there is no date except this imagined one.

Signed,
Confused in Washington
People are just so desperate to cruise beautiful BC they will grasp at any straw

I very much doubt we're going to open July 1. The medics around here are scared stiff it's going to get much, much worse before it gets better - and I doubt that will be before July 1.