Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 25-04-2021, 11:49   #1591

Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Vaccination. Does. Not. Prevent. You. From. Having. Covid.

And the thinly veiled political insult is both childish and skirting the forum rules.

Bit touchy...anyway I'm sure you read news from the CDC?

So far, only 0.008% of fully vaccinated people have caught Covid in US, CDC says. There has been no cases of vaccinated people transmitting Covid.

So there's that...something Canada refuses to recognize.
Old 25-04-2021, 13:37   #1592

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
I expect the authorities are moving proactively to stop another surge emanating from the May long weekend. With vaccinating proceeding at a good pace I expect these restrictions will not be extended beyond that holiday weekend and this summer vacationers, including boaters, will be free to visit all of BC.

Personally I'm still planning to circumnavigate Vancouver Island this summer even though I live in Vancouver Coastal Health region. However we'll see.
Fingers crossed [emoji1696]. We too "expect" (HOPE!) for these travel restrictions (within BC) to go away May 25th. I think waiting until AFTER Victoria Day long weekend is smart.

(But we do not expect the international border to "open" by then, nor by June.)

Given the size of the combined regions (eg Fraser and Van Coastal), the restrictions are not that much for most. But problematic for boaters in Fraser & Vancouver Coastal (Island Health boaters have tons to go to... damn[emoji6]).

Planning on Central and North Coast "late" May.
Old 25-04-2021, 14:13   #1593

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Wouldn't bet on it. They never did stop flights from China.
I would agree, even the current ban on flights from India only applies to direct flights.
Old 25-04-2021, 14:16   #1594

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
You can't stop Canadians from returning to Canada in ANY circumstances. However, you can make it difficult and expensive in order to discourage the travel in the first place - which the government has done. And they did it for air travellers because, at first, the vast majority of Canadians returning from sunny vacations were returning by air. Now that people have found away around those restrictions you can expect a government response to block that loophole.
Why do you think that is true? Other rights have been suspended during this pandemic. To me it makes the most sense to actually stop all incoming passenger flights for a period of 30 days, regardless of the country of origin and regardless of the passenger type.

Our section 6 rights ( Mobility rights) have been suspended for the best part of a full year internally.
Old 25-04-2021, 14:39   #1595

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
I would agree, even the current ban on flights from India only applies to direct flights.
Yes but: if coming via a flight with a change/stopover, passengers are NOW required to (i) clear in/out at the stopover/change (i.e., "in transit" not acceptable) AND (ii) obtain a negative PCR test at the change/stopover.
Old 25-04-2021, 14:40   #1596

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Yes but: if coming via a flight with a change/stopover, passengers are NOW required to (i) clear in/out at the stopover/change (i.e., "in transit" not acceptable) AND (ii) obtain a negative PCR test at the change/stopover.
True but they need a negative test to get on the plane in the first place, but still every plane is arriving with a positive case....
Old 25-04-2021, 14:54   #1597

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
True but they need a negative test to get on the plane in the first place, but still every plane is arriving with a positive case....
Fake "PCR" tests are a current problem in India and other places in South Asia...

https://qz.com/india/1993757/indians...el-skip-exams/

https://kathmandupost.com/national/2...se-for-concern
Old 25-04-2021, 15:32   #1598

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
Bit touchy...anyway I'm sure you read news from the CDC?

So far, only 0.008% of fully vaccinated people have caught Covid in US, CDC says. There has been no cases of vaccinated people transmitting Covid.

So there's that...something Canada refuses to recognize.
Well they are doing the best they can with what little rational they possess. It's been hard on them. Going from thinking they avoided the pandemic to becoming fully involved.
Old 25-04-2021, 15:36   #1599
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
You can enter yourself on a sailboat.
Where did you get that information ?

Sharon and I have been doing cross border deliveries under Commercial Transaction Permits but were denied crossing in our own boat because it was not an essential commercial transaction.
Old 25-04-2021, 19:50   #1600

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:

Sharon and I have been doing cross border deliveries under Commercial Transaction Permits but were denied crossing in our own boat because it was not an essential commercial transaction.

You can't hire yourself? Bummer...
Old 25-04-2021, 20:14   #1601

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:

Makes a lot of sense. Not!

The Bahamas seem to be using common sense and science in the formulation of their rules, I wish others would do the same.
Old 25-04-2021, 22:13   #1602

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

The travel restrictions in BC have lumped the Central Coast area in with Northern and Southern Interior Health Regions, so Vancouver area boaters can only go as far as the Southern part of Desolation Sound. From the map, it looks like the Copeland Islands are actually in Vancouver Island Health Region ... go figure.
Old 26-04-2021, 10:43   #1603

Alaska Gov. Mike Dunleavy has offered COVID-19 vaccines to residents of the small British Columbia town of Stewart, with hopes it could lead the Canadian government to ease restrictions between Stewart and the tiny Alaska border community of Hyder a couple miles away.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/ap-i...161820786.html
Old 26-04-2021, 21:51   #1604

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Alaska Gov. Mike Dunleavy has offered COVID-19 vaccines to residents of the small British Columbia town of Stewart, with hopes it could lead the Canadian government to ease restrictions between Stewart and the tiny Alaska border community of Hyder a couple miles away.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/ap-i...161820786.html

I applaud the governor but there was a major easing of restrictions in November
https://www.ktoo.org/2020/11/03/afte...ian-neighbors/
https://www.terracestandard.com/news...-restrictions/
Old 27-04-2021, 10:45   #1605

Boat: Sold the boat. Buying a van.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
I applaud the governor but there was a major easing of restrictions in November
https://www.ktoo.org/2020/11/03/afte...ian-neighbors/
https://www.terracestandard.com/news...-restrictions/
I’m glad that the locals together with the authorities were able to come up with a sensible policy. I’m also happy the governor has made the gesture.

Hyder and Stewart are an interesting place. About 5 years ago I made a brief side trip there in the fall, while driving up the Cassiar Hwy. Arriving in the very late afternoon I crossed over into Hyder to a bear viewing area in Hyder, but bears were gone for the season. When I crossed back into Stewart, the Canadian border person asked how long I had been in Alaska. I just smiled and told her “Well, about a half an hour, this trip!” I wanted a picture of some humorous signs on the Alaska side of the line, but it was getting dark. I spent the night in Stewart and the next morning walked back to the border to get a photo. I was rather sternly advised by the border services person that if I went one step past a certain sign, he would need to see my passport to let me back into Canada! He may have been joking, but I didn’t cross the line, and I did have my passport in my pocket!