Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 28-04-2021, 11:09   #1606

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Nice gesture. / Len
https://globalnews.ca/news/7814711/p..._campaign=2021
Old 02-05-2021, 03:57   #1607
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Entire island in B.C. gets vaccinated for COVID-19
Denman Island, which has a population of 1,200, is one of 28 communities on or near Vancouver Island, where all adults have been offered a first dose of COVID-19 vaccine.
Island Health, which is running the clinics, isn't releasing exact numbers on how many doses are administered. They call it the "whole of community" approach to vaccination, saying it makes sense for isolated regions.
More ➥ https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...n-bc-1.6009513

And ➥ https://www.nanaimobulletin.com/news...ccine-clinics/

Old 02-05-2021, 08:34   #1608

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I tried to find an earlier post but got lost in the 1600+ entries here. Perhaps the person who posted can guide me.

We're considering going for Alaska from Washington this summer. We are fully vaccinated US citizens in a US boat. We carry enough fuel, water and provisions to make the trip without landing.

Someone posted on this thread a while ago about friends of theirs who were allowed to do it, but had to present a routing plan to the Canadian authorities and then were OK'd to pass through Canadian waters.

If that poster's still here, can you point me toward it as a first step toward our own plans? I'd surely appreciate it. As much as I've enjoyed this thread I really don't want to read the who thing again. I tried a Google search and it turned up as many posts as this. Thanks again.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:38   #1609

Boat: 26ft sailboat

"Hyder and Stewart are an interesting place. About 5 years ago I made a brief side trip there in the fall, while driving up the Cassiar Hwy. "

About 7 yrs ago our cruiser motorcycle group ( 7 mostly family members) made a week long camping trip through Alberta and northern B.C. Coming down the Cassiar Hwy we decided to visit Hyder AK through Stewart BC (you can only get to Hyder through Stewart, unless by boat).

When we passed Canadian customs I was surprised that the good paved road ended and we saw a square concrete pillar with Canada on one side and United States on the other side ... absolutely no US customs building/office of any kind. In many decades of crossing the US border by land, this is the first time I didn't go through US customs.

We parked our bikes in front of the bar and were duly "Hyderized". An hour and half later we headed back to Steward, CA customs asked how long we were out of the country and what we were bringing back. Of course they knew exactly how long we were gone, they say us leave, it was a weekday and about one crossing every hour.

It was a great experience.

Now back on topic... not sure what type of Covid precautions they have in Hyder AK.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:39   #1610

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
I tried to find an earlier post but got lost in the 1600+ entries here. Perhaps the person who posted can guide me.

We're considering going for Alaska from Washington this summer. We are fully vaccinated US citizens in a US boat. We carry enough fuel, water and provisions to make the trip without landing.

Someone posted on this thread a while ago about friends of theirs who were allowed to do it, but had to present a routing plan to the Canadian authorities and then were OK'd to pass through Canadian waters.

If that poster's still here, can you point me toward it as a first step toward our own plans? I'd surely appreciate it. As much as I've enjoyed this thread I really don't want to read the who thing again. I tried a Google search and it turned up as many posts as this. Thanks again.
SV Violet Hour: https://svviolethour.com/2021/04/14/...o-shore-leave/

They saw their first Iceberg!

https://www.instagram.com/p/COWsyAqL..._web_copy_link

Send them a note, they are usually pretty responsive (although that was before they hit Alaska.)
Old 02-05-2021, 08:40   #1611

Quote:

I recommend you visit Wagonners website. They just published a newsletter about this very issue. If you are planning that trip it is almost imperative that you have a copy of their guide, so why not hook up online, too. They are one of many very valuable resources for those of us who sail here.

https://waggonerguide.com/transit-th...harsh-reality/

Safe journey, be safe, stay well.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 02-05-2021, 08:50   #1612

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I recommend you visit Wagonners website. They just published a newsletter about this very issue. If you are planning that trip it is almost imperative that you have a copy of their guide, so why not hook up online, too. They are one of many very valuable resources for those of us who sail here.

Here's a blog post of a trawler that cleared into Canada for a transit last week
Captain's Log: Roche Harbor to Deep Bay - Mystic Moon Voyages
Old 02-05-2021, 08:50   #1613

Boat: Trlåren 31

Quote:

I came down to Washington last fall from SE Alaska on my boat. There's been no changes to border policy that I'm aware of.

It is still essential travel only in Canada whether vaccinated or not.

The Violet Hour folks got through moving their residence to Alaska. Short of that or without other business deemed essential, you'll be denied entry
Old 02-05-2021, 08:51   #1614

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

Thanks Stu! We have the Waggoner's guide we used it extensively in 2019. I never thought to go their website. And thanks for guiding me toward that boat. I hope we can arrange it this year.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:53   #1615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nord Sal View Post
I came down to Washington last fall from SE Alaska on my boat. There's been no changes to border policy that I'm aware of.

It is still essential travel only in Canada whether vaccinated or not.

The Violet Hour folks got through moving their residence to Alaska. Short of that or without other business deemed essential, you'll be denied entry
This sounds right - I hope not, but will investigate. What inspired us was a boat full of young people that are leaving mid May, but they are all AK residents, so that fits.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:59   #1616

Redhead:

You said: "Someone posted on this thread a while ago about friends of theirs who were allowed to do it, but had to present a routing plan to the Canadian authorities and then were OK'd to pass through Canadian waters."

You are probably best off if you consult the Canadian Authorities directly rather than rely on opinions and interpretations of other yotties. Here is a good start:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...pb-pp-eng.html

Stay a jour with this site until you depart the US.

Be aware that there are Provincial Health Orders as well, and that many indigenous peoples living in what we Canadians call "unceded territory" are legally empowered to make their own rules and laws applicable within their own territories. If an indigenous people sez "you can't come ashore", then that supersedes both Federal and Provincial Law and Regulations, including Provincial Health Orders.

The regulations are in constant flux, so stay up to date by consulting the relevant authorities.

TrentePieds
Old 02-05-2021, 09:15   #1617

Thanks - of course I'll use all the govt'l info available, I just remembered Stu's post and wanted to show my husband. I read the article from Waggoner's and think we check all the boxes as far as route planning, ability to carry everything aboard, check in requirements, etc. I'm a data weenie, so that's automatic with me.

What I think we must consider is that we have a 40 year old custom boat (built in Shelter Island Boatyard in BC, by the way) and spares are hard to find and hugely expensive. I think by now we have broken - ahem, fixed most of the major systems, but I will never be completely sure due to the complexity of this old boat. That alone would keep me in Washington unless convinced otherwise by my more mechanically expert husband.

It's just an investagatory expedition at this moment. In other words - wishful thinking!
Old 02-05-2021, 13:12   #1618

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...rs/ar-BB1ghF7t
Old 02-05-2021, 14:16   #1619

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...19/ar-BB1gfLwX
Old 02-05-2021, 15:39   #1620

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said that COVID-19 vaccination certificates are to be “expected”.

Tuesday (April 27), Trudeau said: “As was the case pre-pandemic, certificates of vaccination are a part of international travel to certain regions and are naturally to be expected when it comes to this pandemic and the coronavirus.” “How we actually roll that out in alignment with partners and allies around the world is something that we’re working on right now to coordinate.”

Vaccine certificates typically take the form of a paper or digital file indicating that a person has been innoculated against the novel coronavirus. Such certificate may be required in order for a person to access a service, enter a place, travel, employment, and other purposes.

https://www.straight.com/news/trudea...n-leader-keith