Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 12-07-2020, 04:03   #151

Re: CANADIAN COVID-19 NEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post
Outsourcing jobs has been very popular in the United States. Do you suppose we could out-source our government to Canada?

Sorry mate, we've been deemed a security threat. You are on your own.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:08   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecapes View Post
Furthermore, while Canada has tested only 84,000/mio vs 126,000/mio in the US, her case/test is only 3.4%, well below the rate in the US of 8.0%, indicating a less than half the prevalence of infected in the populace as compared with the US.

This is because actions have equal and opposite reactions. Impossible to pull something in a given direction unless the majority also pulls in that direction.

The vast majority of us have followed the medical advice from the get-go. Including those making the decisions on all sides of the political spectrum.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:25   #153

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingCouple View Post
First of all, on the Federal level there is limited authority that can be imposed on the states. Each state has its own supreme ruler called a governor and they set their own rules. One state can implement a rule. Another state says we're not going to do that rule. The Federal level has no authority over this.
The US is not the only federal system in the world, Canada and Oz come to mind. In Canada, healthcare is a provincial responsibility, so it is premiers who are the face of the response in their provinces. At the same time the federal government has put in place various generous financial supports and coordinated approaches with the provinces. Justin has done a press conference every day to, well, show leadership. The key difference between Canada and the US is that all leadership, political and public health, have been on the page. The Ontario premier, Doug Ford, before COVID had been described by many as a Trump Mini-Me but during the crisis he has provided strong and effective leadership. The US federal government has been MIA for the most part starting with Trump. The advice of Fauci and other public health authorities has been largely ignored. If Trump had worn a mask in April thousands of lives could have been saved to take a simple example.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:31   #154

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Hah! That Netflix one is funny.

A couple of years ago we were house sitting for our friends up on the Sunshine Coast in BC. I settled in to watch TV and found three curling channels!! No joke.

But I have to say it's an acquired taste, after a couple of weeks we were both watching to see who would win the women's championship.
I missed the curling discussion! The three curling channels were the three regional versions of a sports cable channel. They dare not show the curling in only one part of the country since it gets huge ratings. I think there are at least a few reasons for this. One is that the support is incredibly hard as anyone who has casually tried it knows. We all know how to shoot a basketball or run - even if we don't do it very well. Throwing a curling stone with any precision is very hard and remember it is happening on ice so at any moment you can fall on your can if you are not careful. The players come across as ordinary people because they are. They have regular jobs because the prize money in curling is not high. Finally, it is sport that translates very well to television. They have great commentators and the game happens slowly enough that there is time for intelligent discourse about what is happening.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:21   #155

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
The US is not the only federal system in the world, Canada and Oz come to mind. In Canada, healthcare is a provincial responsibility, so it is premiers who are the face of the response in their provinces. At the same time the federal government has put in place various generous financial supports and coordinated approaches with the provinces. Justin has done a press conference every day to, well, show leadership. The key difference between Canada and the US is that all leadership, political and public health, have been on the page. The Ontario premier, Doug Ford, before COVID had been described by many as a Trump Mini-Me but during the crisis he has provided strong and effective leadership. The US federal government has been MIA for the most part starting with Trump. The advice of Fauci and other public health authorities has been largely ignored. If Trump had worn a mask in April thousands of lives could have been saved to take a simple example.
Indeed. It has been heartening to see all parties (mostly) pulling in the same direction with our responses to Covid-19. Politicians have allowed the scientists to lead the response, just like in most countries, outside of a select few outliers.

As for curling, it's referred to as "chess on ice" for a good reason. It is cerebral, and highly strategic, while also being very physically demanding. At least this is true at the top levels.

At the club level where I used to play we always took a far more relaxed approach to our games. The most important skill was not to spill your beer on the ice while grabbing a swig between ends.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:20   #156

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Be careful not to drink the Kool-Aid your politicians are broadcasting to citizens about how well they can protect you. Perhaps there is no magic wand.

Look at the 5th graph down,,,,,,Provinces have similar rules but vastly different outcomes.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...ions-1.4881500
Old 12-07-2020, 07:36   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
Be careful not to drink the Kool-Aid your politicians are broadcasting to citizens about how well they can protect you. Perhaps there is no magic wand.

Look at the 5th graph down,,,,,,Provinces have similar rules but vastly different outcomes.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...ions-1.4881500

Re: Kool-Aid; we've seen what is going on south of the border and the vast majority of us want nothing to do with the kool-aid being served there. The vast majority of our politicians are in agreement with everything related to how things related to covid-19 are being handled.

Re: 5th graph down. That is simply of function of population density. Switch the graph to be /100K instead of raw and you will notice all are below 2 (I'd say it's close or below 1 but that would just leave room for some people to split hairs). Compare that with the numbers being achieved in your kool-aid drinking kingdom.

Please, if you are going to try and prove a point have valid data for valid arguments instead of trying to use "alternative facts" to suit your narrative.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:59   #158

Quote:
At the current time, science does NOT have the answers, despite all the hoopla over following "science". They are still collecting data. It is the MSM that is the real problem. They are the true enemy of the people because the MSM applies the political slant to everything they publish, print or broadcast. The MSM does not propagate information that is even remotely accurate. And the really sad part is that both the political and scientific communities have both jumped on the MSM bandwagon.
You're mistaking the tail for the dog.

MSM-blaming is a more damaging infection in the US than COVID-19, when it comes to political health.

If you look at the countries that are less anxious and doing better with managing COVID-19, a common denominator is consistent and trusted leadership. Nuff said.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:10   #159

Boat: Chris Craft Roamer 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecapes View Post
Total number of tests is not as meaningful as you think. With the 3rd highest population in the world, you're supposed to have a 'high' total number of tests.
That's a good theory, but you can't force people to go and get tested if they don't want to. The hospital or clinic charges anywhere from $200-1,100 for a commercial lab test. It's free at Public Health. The National Guard is running drive-thru testing sites here.

But to expect people to say, "gee it's a nice day, lets go get a free corona test." It just doesn't happen. So the people that they're roping in are primarily ones that have symptoms (obviously going to drive the percentage of positive results), and whoever they can rope in with expanded contact tracing.

Maybe in other coutnries it's different. But they could send out some thing to people in the US that says you're required to go get a free corona test. At least around here 90% are going to say ** - I got better things to do than corona tests - and the notice will go right in the garbage can.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:27   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
MSM-blaming is a more damaging infection in the US than COVID-19, when it comes to political health.
Right. We have to keep in mind the younger folks haven't been around long enough to remember when the MSM was not political activist groups disguised as "news". So they wouldn't know the difference.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:20   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
If Trump had worn a mask in April thousands of lives could have been saved to take a simple example.
That's almost laughable, actually. Anybody that thinks those stupid masks are going to protect from aerosols is dreaming. That's a fantasy driven by the Main Stream Media.

We've been working in the boat yard every day. When I started painting the fly bridge and decks on our boat about two months ago I made the mistake of using one of those N95 masks. We're working outside so I figured that little mask would work fine. It took me three days to get rid of the paint that got thru that mask and into my nose. And the micron size of the paint overspray is WAY larger than aerosols that carry your Dreaded Corona. Now I use a real mask with charcoal filters.

Back in April, WHO said there is no need for healthy people to wear any sort of mask. Fast forward June and now they say wear a mask. They simply jumped on the MSM political activist bandwagon to make a political statement.

So instead of blaming Trump why don't you blame WHO? They're the ones that said not to wear it. I believe science can show without a doubt that aerosols go right thru it. Its micron filtration size is not fine enough. Sure medical professionals wear them but they are trained in how to handle and remove them, and they are a single-use item discarded as medical toxic waste. The general public is not. My wife was an RN for 34 years before she retired and she knows it's a joke.

Viral contagions also get in thru your eyes. You gonna wear goggles too?
Old 12-07-2020, 09:37   #162

Quote:
That's almost laughable, actually. Anybody that thinks those stupid masks are going to protect from aerosols is dreaming. That's a fantasy driven by the Main Stream Media.
Back in April, WHO said there is no need for healthy people to wear any sort of mask. Fast forward June and now they say wear a mask. They simply jumped on the MSM political activist bandwagon to make a political statement.

The point of masks is not to protect the wearer, it's to protect others from the wearer. Since you can be infected and not know it, the only way we can ensure that every carrier is wearing a mask... is to ask everyone to wear a mask. And only where it makes sense - stores, public transit, any enclosed space with lots of people milling about. It's not perfect, but catching a significant percentage of the viruses emitted by asymptomatic carriers is a big improvement.

I suspect you're getting your "MSM" and other ideas from sources far more toxic and corrupting than any "MSM" outlet.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:07   #163

Quote:
I suspect you're getting your "MSM" and other ideas from sources far more toxic and corrupting than any "MSM" outlet.
Yeah. My wife. Although she's retired now she's still a licensed medical professional, and has been since 1984.

Only a surgical respirator is effective against viral contagions. And those have to be fit and seal tested and verify that the valves are functioning correctly before use.

The surgical and cloth masks you see everybody wearing are TOTALLY useless against viral contagions, both exhale and inhale. In some cases they can make the problem worse by increasing air velocity during exhale which causes finer particles that hang in the air for hours inside where there no or limited air movement. Then the next persom comes along and sucks it right in. You have to filtration down to 0.3 micron and those masks are not even close.

That's science. Consult a professional that knows and they'll tell you.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:12   #164

Quote:
The surgical and cloth masks you see everybody wearing are TOTALLY useless against viral contagions, both exhale and inhale. In some cases they can make the problem worse by increasing air velocity during exhale which causes finer particles that hang in the air for hours inside where there no or limited air movement.

If that's science I assume you can post a cite for all that? There's zero doubt in my mind that an infected person will emit significantly less virus into the air or onto surfaces when they are wearing a mask. Some other smarter people seem to agree.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:40   #165

Quote:
If that's science I assume you can post a cite for all that? There's zero doubt in my mind that an infected person will emit significantly less virus into the air or onto surfaces when they are wearing a mask. Some other smarter people seem to agree.
My wife. She knows. She just read this and said, "hey, tell 'em surgical respirators can't be used in a sterile environment either."

I guess maybe some things she picked up as a surgical nurse for 34 years?

You will notice on the CDC website they use terms like "Cloth face coverings may help prevent people who have COVID-19 from spreading the virus to others.

Cloth face coverings are most likely to reduce the spread of COVID-19 when they are widely used by people in public settings.

Those are not scientific terms. Your cloth face mask likely filters large particles. But the large particles are not the problem with airborne viruses.

Edit:
My wife just said, "tell 'em even a surgical respirator only filters 95% of viral contagions and that's why they can't be used in a sterile environment."