Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 06-05-2021, 19:00   #1666

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Ontario's record is a bit more formal looking, but still pretty easily forged.

This is why it is inevitable that some sort of non(easy)forgable document or record will be developed.
Old 06-05-2021, 19:21   #1667

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

This is why it is inevitable that some sort of non(easy)forgable document or record will be developed.

It would be a piece of cake, relatively speaking, to provide reliable vaccine status with a phone app or other software that uses some unique photo ID (eg passport, NEXUS card, drivers licence or secure health card) to hit a central database to retrieve vaccination status. A tad Orwellian, but if you're taking a flight or crossing any border, you're already logged.
Old 06-05-2021, 19:24   #1668

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

The UK's vaccination record only has a person's name as a data field. Which I suppose one has your local bartender complete at the pub.

No indication of where or who administered the vaccine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ontario vaccine card.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	385.3 KB
ID:	237863  
Old 06-05-2021, 19:34   #1669

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
It would be a piece of cake, relatively speaking, to provide reliable vaccine status with a phone app or other software that uses some unique photo ID (eg passport, NEXUS card, drivers licence or secure health card) to hit a central database to retrieve vaccination status. A tad Orwellian, but if you're taking a flight or crossing any border, you're already logged.
Agreed. There's already data embedded in the standard passport. Certainly it could be a requirement of any new or renewed NEXUS card. It wouldn't be hard to come up with a chip card that accesses provincial health databases to affirm a vaccination status.

Ours looks like this. The design is not very pretty, and certainly can be forged, but it contains more officialdom info which would allow for confirmation. The real record is attached to our provincial health card.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2029.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	425.7 KB
ID:	237867  
Old 06-05-2021, 19:37   #1670

Tuesday, Trudeau said talks are ongoing with international partners for a vaccine certification saying talks were ongoing with G7 partners and some G20 countries.

“It would make sense for us to align with partners around the world on some sort of proof of vaccination or vaccine certification,”

In January, Trudeau told Reuters in an interview that he was against vaccine passports because he said they could be “divisive.”

Well if other countries will not let your citizens travel unless they have reliable vaccine certificates then I perceive that countries will get their administrative ducks in a row as to providing for centralized administration databases and verifiable certificates. Seems it could be added to a countries citizenship passport data and systems as just another data field but will require a means of verifying that a person is truly fully vaccinated beyond these bogus paper cards with no names of who the patient was or who administered the shots. Impossible to recreate data that was not derived. I know my pharmacist had to enter data into the State's records.
Old 06-05-2021, 19:43   #1671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
In January, Trudeau told Reuters in an interview that he was against vaccine passports because he said they could be “divisive.”
I don't know for certain, but that may have been reference to vaccine passports for more mundane activities like restaurants, sports events, concerts, and other public gatherings. Carding people like that would be a pretty big civil-liberties issue. Maybe just make the non-vaccinated wear a card around their neck and ring a bell sign a waiver to enter those. [ducks ]

We already accept being carded and questioned when flying or crossing borders, so there shouldn't be much pushback on proof of vaccination status there...
Old 06-05-2021, 19:51   #1672

New York and other places have already implemented digital passes for entry to some venues. The Yankees will give anyone that gets a Johnson and Johnson vaccine a free ticket. I think there will be a lot concerts, sporting events, cultural events where one will need to show a valid certificate to be able to enter, just like the cruise ships. Norwegian Cruise Lines stated they will pull the ship out of Florida because Florida passed a law disallowing the use of vaccination certificate requirements. The US CDC will not permit cruise lines to board crew, staff or passengers without proof of full vaccination. Norwegian Cruise line just completed a new $267 million cruise departure and arrival port in Florida last year and has yet to use it.
Old 06-05-2021, 21:03   #1673

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

BC card is just a business card that has mostly hand written info and appears to be mainly for your own purposes - who, when, where, what vacciine and its lot #. As with others , easily forged so not really useful for "passport" purposes.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:27   #1674

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

The EU is working on a centralized system that is a tag in your passport and also on your smartphone, you show id and they scan it for your vaccination history......seems simple to me.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:22   #1675

Boat: J/88

After waxing eloquent on here about government and media management of messaging to manage conclusions and behaviour, I find myself reluctant to tell anyone that my Aunt who is an experienced RN and as pragmatic as hell is resisting getting vaccinated as she is concerned about the risks.
It's hard to walk the talk sometimes.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:32   #1676

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
BC card is just a business card that has mostly hand written info and appears to be mainly for your own purposes - who, when, where, what vacciine and its lot #. As with others , easily forged so not really useful for "passport" purposes.
Our BC Covid-19 vaccination card has Date, Vaccine, vaccine lot# and clinic typed out. Name and DOB handwritten.

More importantly, the vaccination information IS stored on the Provincial database, and is available via the "Health Gateway" webapp.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:48   #1677

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstanford View Post
After waxing eloquent on here about government and media management of messaging to manage conclusions and behaviour, I find myself reluctant to tell anyone that my Aunt who is an experienced RN and as pragmatic as hell is resisting getting vaccinated as she is concerned about the risks.
It's hard to walk the talk sometimes.
I think there is room for a reasoned discussion, but I don't think that there is the mental space for it generally. People want right vs wrong, safe vs dangerous kind of answers. There-in lies the gov't and media's dilemma and the major source of their failings.

My opinion? The mRNA is a newer technology and it was "rushed". Suspicion and scepticism is, again in my opinion, healthy. But COVID is a real and present danger. The true nature of the balance between those two concerns will be years or decades coming. But with what we know right now, IMHO, getting as many people vaccinated as we can is the "correct" choice. We can deal with consequences, if any, later. The boat is sinking: worrying about whether the electric bilge pump will drain the batteries can wait.

So I will "reluctantly" show up next Tuesday for my shot. And hope that means I can see my boat again someday.
Old 07-05-2021, 13:27   #1678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
My opinion? The mRNA is a newer technology and it was "rushed".
In fairness, mRNA vaccine technology has been waiting in the wings for a while, facing a multi-year gauntlet of approvals and ironing out production details. COVID just stepped on the gas. It has many advantages, including speed of vaccine development and greater safety.
Old 07-05-2021, 13:32   #1679

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
In fairness, mRNA vaccine technology has been waiting in the wings for a while, facing a multi-year gauntlet of approvals and ironing out production details. COVID just stepped on the gas. It has many advantages, including speed of vaccine development and greater safety.
I knew that . I guess I should have said the implementation was rushed. I have many high hopes for the mRNA vaccines but I am a creature of my era and my era was thalidomide (not that it is any way comparable other than the lesson it taught).
Old 08-05-2021, 19:58   #1680

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

I thought that this might be of interest, although I think that the title is a bit misleading
https://www.newwestrecord.ca/opinion...s-poll-3748719