Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 14-05-2021, 07:11   #1711

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Easy: Bière froide s'il vous plaît

At which point the server will look at you with a mixture of sadness, understanding and appreciation for your honest effort, and then ask you in English: "So, you want a cold beer?"

Totally. Especially if you pronounce it the way I just read it in my head.
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Old 14-05-2021, 09:15   #1712

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Son View Post
This will probably be covered in today's video by Dr. Campbell. I will post te link when I find out more.
Who is "Dr. Campbell"?
Old 14-05-2021, 09:59   #1713

Boat: Bristol 27 #182, MystereS 17' Catamaran #531
Send a message via Skype™ to EarlWer

Quote:
Corona? Nah, not in Quebec. These would be more appreciated:

or
Hmmm. I don't know if I would drink a beer called 'Damned' or 'The End of the World'...

Murphys is more to my taste...

Which brings me to: Why to British people drink warm beer?
... because they keep it in Lucas refrigerators...
Old 14-05-2021, 10:12   #1714

Quebec, New Brunswick join other Canadian provinces in stopping offering first doses of AstraZeneca vaccine

https://www.yahoo.com/news/quebec-st...154904400.html

"The Canadian provinces of Quebec and New Brunswick will no longer offer first doses of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine, but will offer second doses using current supplies and future deliveries, the provinces said on Thursday. Most provinces made similar announcements on Monday and Tuesday, mainly citing concerns about supply, though officials in Ontario, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick said the move was also based on a rise in the incidence of rare blood clots linked to first doses of the vaccine. Canada's vaccine supply has expanded significantly in recent weeks, mostly thanks to shipments from Pfizer. The country has distributed just over 20 million doses of various COVID vaccines, and 11.6% were AstraZeneca's vaccine."
Old 14-05-2021, 10:19   #1715

The NHL has asked the Canadian government for a decision by June 1 about U.S. teams crossing the border during the Stanley Cup Playoffs

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-...163412020.html

The Canadian teams played only each other during the 2020-21 season in a revamped North Division because of the COVID-19 pandemic, and that will continue during the first two rounds of the playoffs. It's what happens after that -- in the semifinals and finals -- that is up in the air. "The conversations are ongoing. We've told them we really do need to know by the end of the first round, and that's around June 1," Steve Mayer, the league's chief content officer. "That's pretty much the date that we've talked to them about, saying we have to know one way or another."

Last season, the playoffs were held in bubbles in Edmonton and Toronto. Under current rules, American-based teams couldn't play in Canada without mandatory quarantines, which would make travel for home-and-away games impossible under the playoff calendar.
Old 14-05-2021, 11:18   #1716
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
That is good news since we're running a mass population experiment here in Canada by delaying all second shots to beyond 12 weeks. I assume there are lots of graduate-level thesis in play looking at this forced research.
Delayed dose boosts immune response

Delaying the second dose of the Pfizer–BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine could boost antibody responses in people older than 80.

Researchers looked at 175 over-80s, some of whom were subject to the United Kingdom’s controversial late-2020 decision to increase the gap between doses to 11–12 weeks, to give more people partial protection from one jab.
Peak antibody levels were 3.5 times higher in those who waited 12 weeks for their booster shot, than in people who waited only 3 weeks.

The results are reassuring, but are specific to the Pfizer vaccine, and the wisdom of delaying second doses depends on what variants might be circulating.

More About ➥
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01299-y

“Single Vaccination with BNT162b2 or ChAdOx1 in Older People Induces Equivalent Antibody Generation but Enhanced Cellular Responses after ChAdOx1" ~ by Helen Marie Parry et al
Download Preprint Paper ➥ https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=3825573

Old 14-05-2021, 11:19   #1717

Canadian / US border closure. Point Roberts, Washington. An exclave of the USA.

Old 14-05-2021, 11:32   #1718

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Canadian / US border closure. Point Roberts, Washington. An exclave of the USA.

Unfortunately I get an "Uploader has not made this video available in your country" message - so us Canadians can't view it
Old 14-05-2021, 11:38   #1719

I try again with a YouTube link.

Part of the border closure protocols. Anything Covid related may include the virus, hence prohibited from transmitting.

Old 14-05-2021, 11:39   #1720

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

I tried youtube as well and that didn't work either
Old 14-05-2021, 11:42   #1721

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Delayed dose boosts immune response

Delaying the second dose of the Pfizer–BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine could boost antibody responses in people older than 80.

Researchers looked at 175 over-80s, some of whom were subject to the United Kingdom’s controversial late-2020 decision to increase the gap between doses to 11–12 weeks, to give more people partial protection from one jab.
Peak antibody levels were 3.5 times higher in those who waited 12 weeks for their booster shot, than in people who waited only 3 weeks.

The results are reassuring, but are specific to the Pfizer vaccine, and the wisdom of delaying second doses depends on what variants might be circulating.

More About ➥
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01299-y

“Single Vaccination with BNT162b2 or ChAdOx1 in Older People Induces Equivalent Antibody Generation but Enhanced Cellular Responses after ChAdOx1" ~ by Helen Marie Parry et al
Download Preprint Paper ➥ https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=3825573
The initial recommendations were based on the intervals used in the trials: 21 days for Pfizer and 28 days for Moderna (or vice-versa. I don't remember which). The intervals were set so short in the trials because that was the minimum time it was felt the second doses could be effective and the companies wanted to get the trials done as quickly as possible and the driugs to market.

That's the way it was tested. That's the way it was certified. So that's the way it was approved. That's how the drug development/testing/approval protocol works. However, the data, even at the time, indicated that the second shots would be more effective if delayed beyond the recommended intervals (it just hadn't been trialed that way) which is why health authorities in Britain and here in British Columbia jumped on it so quickly as a way of getting first shots in arms as quickly as possible given the limited supplies and delivery resources initially available.

The over 80 thing is more of the same: that's the group that was included in the study (because that's the group that had had their first shots when the study was started), so that's the only conclusion the (conservative as usual) scientists could draw: delaying shots in people over 80 is beneficial. There is absolutely no reason it won't be equally beneficial in other age groups - with some possible exceptions such as youngsters. However no studies on other age groups have yet been completed so no similar conclusions can yet be drawn.

These mRNA vaccines are amazing; a new class of miracle drugs. Apparently the Pfizer vaccine was developed in 2 hours after the gene sequence of the virus was known, and the Moderna vaccine in 2 days. The rest of the time was the testing and approval process. Hopefully, in the future, anti-viral vaccines can be developed, tested, and delivered MUCH faster - as the annual flu shots are now. They are different year-to-year but, as far as I know, do not go through the full testing protocol before being approved.
Old 14-05-2021, 13:09   #1722

Canada's public health agency offered guidelines to the 10 provinces, which are responsible for public health restrictions. The agency says once 75% of Canadians have had a single dose and 20% are fully vaccinated, some restrictions can be relaxed to allow small, outdoor gatherings with family and friends, camping, and picnics. Once 75% of those eligible are fully vaccinated in the fall, indoor sports and family gatherings can be allowed again.

"I think masks might be the last layer of that multi-layer protection that we'll advise people to remove," Tam told reporters, noting that in Canada colder temperatures meant people would start spending more time indoors in the fall. "We are taking a bit of a different approach to the United States," she added. While in most of Canada masks are not required outdoors, they are mandatory indoors.

Canada has administered one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine to just over half its adult population. Less than 4% of Canada's adult population has been fully vaccinated compared to more than 36% of Americans.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/canada-pl...180837894.html
Old 14-05-2021, 13:09   #1723

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
I tried youtube as well and that didn't work either
May need to relocate below the 49th parallel to watch.
Old 14-05-2021, 13:22   #1724

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
May need to relocate below the 49th parallel to watch.
Well if we did that then we wouldn't be needing to read this thread would we.
Old 14-05-2021, 14:13   #1725
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Hmmmm, you might be on to something Mike. The solution to Alberta's woes: cause we all know rednecks love their Pil...

P.S. I can't believe 20-year-old me drank that stuff
Was it Calgary Stock ALE that was the strong one around 16% alchohol ?

As a teenager, that was my introduction to beer in Canada, so realized my limitations in life the hard way[emoji3061].