Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 20-05-2021, 05:17   #1756

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I am wary of any new restrictions on travel (or anything really). But quite honestly, I can't see an alternative to some sort of vaccine passport.

Actually, I can see an alternative; we continue the high level of border controls and travel restrictions until infection rates are near zero everywhere. It's the best-worst option.
Yellow book concept. Just accept the cards handed out as sufficient proof backed up by a negative (PCR?) test.

There will be some few who cheat, there always are.

Is it not still true that those most at risk are the obese? Honest question, I am not following the trends.

If so then is is not true that we are going through these hoops to protect a segment who have made very poor life style choices over a very long time?

I know it is not exclusively true but to what extent is is true?

It is one thing to sacrifice to protect a innocent if vulnerable group. It is another to protect a group from a self inflicted injury.
Old 20-05-2021, 05:39   #1757

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Is it not still true that those most at risk are the obese? Honest question, I am not following the trends.

If so then is is not true that we are going through these hoops to protect a segment who have made very poor life style choices over a very long time?

I know it is not exclusively true but to what extent is is true?

It is one thing to sacrifice to protect a innocent if vulnerable group. It is another to protect a group from a self inflicted injury.
How about the dangers of making policy based on the misleading oversimplifications of unqualified non-experts?

The answers to your honest question(s) are out there. Short indirect answer: without the actions we have taken, it could have been much, much worse. Some other countries did experience worse, or are currently going through it now. Are they all fat? In other words... yes, you should follow the trends.

(and kind of off-topic anyway for "Canadian COVID-19 News", right?)
Old 20-05-2021, 05:48   #1758

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Lake Effect,

If you attempted to provide a clear answer you did not. The question remains unanswered.

Yes there were countries who did worse, although Canada seems ro he catching up. We will only know in the final analysis.

But there are also countries who have done far less who have had much less disease. The correlations mostly remain confused.

Which is why I was trying to loop back to the one correlation that seems strong, obesity and related disease.
Old 20-05-2021, 05:50   #1759

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Yellow book concept. Just accept the cards handed out as sufficient proof backed up by a negative (PCR?) test. There will be some few who cheat, there always are.
I think the problem is that, unlike other communicable diseases, Covid-19 has been so painfully politicized that there is a very real risk of a high level of cheating. If it hadn't been politicized, and was treated like every other dangerous communicable disease, then the old systems would be fine. Sadly, the denier crowd is forcing this more draconian approach.

Quote:
The data says most at-risk remain those with weaker or challenged immune systems. The elderly tend to top this list, but Covid-19 is also disproportionately affecting visible minorities, and generally poorer people. Obesity is yet another symptom -- not cause -- of this reality.

Quote:
CDC definition: "Obesity is a complex health issue resulting from a combination of causes and individual factors such as behavior and genetics."
So... you are suggesting what? That we punish people for this complex health issue? The research says obesity is not simply a "very poor life style choice." But if you want to go after true lifestyle choices, what about those who purposely travel around the world, exposing themselves to a wider variety of possible pathogens? That sounds like a "very poor life style choice." Perhaps we should stop jumping through hoops to protect this very privileged segment of society?
Old 20-05-2021, 05:53   #1760

BTW, can we stop this drift? It will only drive this thread into rankling and politics. The purpose of this thread is to share CANADIAN Covid-19 news. If you want to complain about how this disease is being treated, maybe start a new thread (so it can be closed).
Old 20-05-2021, 05:53   #1761

Quote:
Which is why I was trying to loop back to the one correlation that seems strong, obesity and related disease.

Off-topic, and a dangerous, prejudicial and inadequate oversimplification of the threat of COVID. Clear enough?
Old 20-05-2021, 06:17   #1762

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Lake;
Not clear at all, no clue what you are driving at.

Mike;

No desire to drag the thread iff topic or to punish anyone. Punish is not a concept that came to my mind, everyone is being “punished” it you look at it that way. I am done with injustice collecting, we need to move forward.

I am not convinced by the CDC definition.

BUT enough said, we can drop it for here and now.

I completely agree with your comments on politicization. It is a damn shame.

Peace and beer.
Old 20-05-2021, 06:48   #1763

Here's some actual Canadian news (and one that might directly affect me and Hpeer!):

Tourism council's final report sticks to July 1 recommendation for reopening N.L. to Canada

https://www.gov.nl.ca/releases/2021/exec/0519n01/

Quote:
The committee recommends testing be part of entrance requirements to the province, without quarantine, until all Phase 1 and Phase 2 priority groups are fully vaccinated. It also recommends a staged reopening including the Atlantic bubble and a June 1 opening to vaccinated Canadians, including those with one dose and a negative COVID-19 test before departure.
Old 20-05-2021, 07:02   #1764

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mike:

Thanks. July 1 would allow us to get up for a few weeks. I am Canadian but my Wife is USA only so I don’t think the June 1 date would help us.

Perchance we meet in Lewisporte!

Not planning on it yet but will keep that date open.
Old 20-05-2021, 07:19   #1765

Quote:
Mike:

Thanks. July 1 would allow us to get up for a few weeks. I am Canadian but my Wife is USA only so I don’t think the June 1 date would help us.

Perchance we meet in Lewisporte!

Not planning on it yet but will keep that date open.
Wouldn't that be amazing?!? I've given up any hopes of launching this year, but I desperately want to get to the boat and make sure it's doing OK. I've been planning for a trip later in the summer, perhaps early fall. But if they open up sooner I might make a run for it earlier.

Still can't get our hopes up though. This is merely a recommendation from the Tourism task force, so it's no surprise they want things open soon.

But hey, my cousin (Brenda O’Reilly), who is on the provincial committee and is also Chair of Hospitality Newfoundland and Labrador, wouldn't lie .
Old 20-05-2021, 08:17   #1766

In case anyone missed it, Manitoba is now #1 in Canada/USA comparison.

The good news is Alberta's rates are declining rapidly, and Ontario is following a consistent downward trend.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...ates-1.5051033
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 11.12.58 .png
Views:	89
Size:	355.1 KB
ID:	238789  
Old 20-05-2021, 08:45   #1767

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Lake Effect,

If you attempted to provide a clear answer you did not. The question remains unanswered.

Yes there were countries who did worse, although Canada seems ro he catching up. We will only know in the final analysis.

But there are also countries who have done far less who have had much less disease. The correlations mostly remain confused.

There have been reports of a rapid rise in infections in East Asian countries like Taiwan, Japan, and Viet Nam that previously had done very well. Their vaccination rates are very low. I think jabs are the only real solution.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Co...n-COVID-havens
Old 20-05-2021, 10:09   #1768

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
There have been reports of a rapid rise in infections in East Asian countries like Taiwan, Japan, and Viet Nam that previously had done very well. Their vaccination rates are very low. I think jabs are the only real solution.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Co...n-COVID-havens
Yeah. Some of this is real, some miss reporting. A rapid rise from 1% to 10% of the USA rate? Yes it is a rapid rise. But they are still a faction of European levels.

None of this proves anything. I am having a very difficult time coming up with viable correlations. I am convinced that there is much going in that is not obvious. Maybe somebody really understands this disease but even if they do how do I identify him amongst the din?

I stand by my previous statement that all covid reporting should he sent to the sports desk. At least the sportscasters understand statistics.

I will believe the border is open when I cross it. Until then I remain hopeful but wary.
Old 20-05-2021, 18:48   #1769

Have vaccine can travel with Verifly.

Flying with American Airlines? Get your vaccine card ready.

On Thursday, the Fort Worth-based carrier announced that it’s adding a vaccine passport capability to its health passport mobile app, Verifly. Flyers can now securely upload their CDC vaccination card before a trip, which will then be verified and processed before departure.

Verifly is an independent mobile app that American has deployed since November 2020 to streamline the check-in and document verification process before departure, including international entry requirements, COVID-19 tests and now vaccines. It can be downloaded for free on both the Apple App Store and Google Play store.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opini...?ocid=msedgntp
Old 20-05-2021, 19:08   #1770

Ontario expects to permit outdoor gatherings of up to 10 people and allow non-essential retail to operate at 15% capacity starting the week of June 14, contingent on certain vaccination rates being met, the premier said on Thursday.

. . .

The reopening will be confirmed closer to the date, Premier Doug Ford said. The province will reopen outdoor amenities - including playgrounds, basketball courts and golf courses - on Saturday.

. . .

"We're now in a position to look at a slow and measured reopening of the province," Ford said. "This is being done slowly and with extreme caution."

Step one of a three-step reopening will also include outdoor dining with up to four people per table. Entering step one will require 60% of eligible Ontario adults to have received at least one vaccine dose. The province's current vaccination rate is 57.6%.

Each step will last for at least 21 days, a government news release said.

The plan is largely in step with what public health officials recommended when explaining the new case modeling.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ontario-p...191910348.html