Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 26-05-2021, 18:52   #1816

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Once infection rates are more or less the same, keeping the border closed makes little sense. In that light, the USA should really want to keep things closed for a while longer since Canada's rates are still higher. Although the gap is rapidly closing.

I think a unilateral, one-way opening of the land border would cause considerable stress on both sides. Americans who try to cross will be stopped, and Canadians returning will continue to face a high level of scrutiny. Neither group will be pleased.

I suppose it would be good for American communities that benefit from Canadian dollars. And it would certainly be nice for Canadians who want to head south, but I'm not sure these benefits make a unilateral opening very wise.
I'm not picking on Americans per se, but I have watched enough of those border reality shows to imagine what kind of sh*t show a unilateral opening will be at the crossings with those people who have a hard time understanding what unilateral actually means.

In the meantime Kenney has decided that the Calgary Stampede must go ahead so Alberta is on track for everything back to normal by July.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E2VPnDhWYAM7Mig.png
Views:	94
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	239269  
Old 26-05-2021, 19:08   #1817

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
I'm not picking on Americans per se, but I have watched enough of those border reality shows to imagine what kind of sh*t show a unilateral opening will be at the crossings with those people who have a hard time understanding what unilateral actually means.
Exactly . It would be a "shyte show" at the border if one side unilaterally opens up. I sure hope politics (on both sides) isn't driving this decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
In the meantime Kenney has decided that the Calgary Stampede must go ahead so Alberta is on track for everything back to normal by July.
Yeah, just heard. Ontario is following a similar process, but is moving more cautiously. Our three stages start mid-June, and likely extend into August.

On a selfish note, I'm pleased about Alberta's plans because I'm planning to head your way soon (since I can't yet head east). Sure hope the vaccination rate keeps ahead of the inevitable rise in infections.
Old 27-05-2021, 08:30   #1818

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
That could well be the case. There is no doubt that it would be faster to go up the outside. They could go full speed - which they can't do for much of the Inside Passage - plus it's a pretty twisty and therefore longer route.

My brother just retired as a Pacific Coast Pilot. Since a cruise ship hit an uncharted rock (what 20 years ago?) they now follow a VERY prescribed route up the inside (the passengers don't notice). For the cruise ships and the pilots it's essentially a two lane road and they don't deviate from their lane. They travel in convoys partially because of the timing at Seymour Narrows and partially because the lead boat has the most senior pilot - and the others just follow along. It's a safety issue and one of the reasons we have such an incredible safety record considering the number of ships that come through our waters and the challenges encountered. Watch the video:

https://www.marine-pilots.com/videos...on-from-canada

It's really quite spectacular and educational. It should be required watching for anyone boating around here.
I've also heard from the commercial fishermen around here that there's a magnetic anomaly either just south or just north of Seymour Narrows that makes things even more fun. They go up in a convoy each year and you could see the first boat veer off course and then the second at the same spot and so on. He said that since they switched to satellite navigation they don't do it anymore.

We didn't notice it the several times we went through but it was all a new adventure so I doubt we would have noticed the details the same as the commercial guys who've been doing it all their lives. "Interesting" place!
Old 27-05-2021, 09:14   #1819

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
I've also heard from the commercial fishermen around here that there's a magnetic anomaly either just south or just north of Seymour Narrows that makes things even more fun. They go up in a convoy each year and you could see the first boat veer off course and then the second at the same spot and so on. He said that since they switched to satellite navigation they don't do it anymore.

We didn't notice it the several times we went through but it was all a new adventure so I doubt we would have noticed the details the same as the commercial guys who've been doing it all their lives. "Interesting" place!
Texada Island, smack in the middle of Georgia Strait, south of Seymour Narrows, is just a big block of iron. It's an anonomoly - a big chunk of the earth's core that got thrust up at some point. It has a huge effect on magnetic compasses as you go by.
Old 27-05-2021, 09:20   #1820

Quote:
Texada Island, smack in the middle of Georgia Strait, south of Seymour Narrows, is just a big block of iron. It's an anonomoly - a big chunk of the earth's core that got thrust up at some point. It has a huge effect on magnetic compasses as you go by.
I know Texada well, our boat's home port was Pender Harbour (Whiskey Slough) for many years. We've sailed past Texada many times, but I didn't know this geoglogical tidbit!
Old 27-05-2021, 09:26   #1821

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
I know Texada well, our boat's home port was Pender Harbour (Whiskey Slough) for many years. We've sailed past Texada many times, but I didn't know this geoglogical tidbit!
Yes, I know. We were together at the government dock at Whisky Slough for several years. I keep Scorpius in Lund now.
Old 27-05-2021, 11:52   #1822

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
A friend's father worked in the mine that was there, years ago.
Old 27-05-2021, 12:08   #1823

[QUOTE=Scorpius;3415078]Yes, I know. We were together at the government dock at Whisky Slough for several years. I keep Scorpius in Lund now.[/QUOTE

Lund - If the border is ever reopened, we'll have to share a cinnamon bun! (Raincoast looks much better than it did with the previous owner - nowhere near perfect but not pathetic anymore)
Old 27-05-2021, 14:57   #1824

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

BC has announced a reopening plan but there are some ongoing caveats to it , ie, case counts and hospitalization numbers continuing to decline, and vaccination levels going up. If numbers progress in the right direction, BC could be open for Canadian recreational travel by July. Not sure how the situation in the Prairie provinces might impact any decision though.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...y-25-1.6039243
I also see a Canadian press story that the White House has denied that there are any talks going on re re-opening the border so that may not be happening in the near future.
Old 27-05-2021, 17:08   #1825

And then there are those that are hesitant to be vaccinated or are anti-vaxxers which will make the pandemic drag along.

Canada could get stuck in COVID-19 cycle if vaccine hesitancy continues to grow -- and there's only one solution, medical experts say

https://www.yahoo.com/news/covid-19-...182307670.html

If people's willingness to get vaccinated diminishes over time, we're going to be stuck in a constant cycle of having too many sick people with COVID-19 to actually function as a society. We’ll see people unfortunately get sick and die from it,” says Dr. Hota, who sees vaccines as the best solution. “It is the way that we are going to protect people in this pandemic. Because treatments or therapeutics for COVID-19 are kind of lagging behind and we haven't really seen anything that's been a game changer in that front.”

. . .

According to Dr. Hota, it is easier to sway hesitant people to get vaccinated than it is to get anti-vaxxers to change their minds.

“Quite often those individuals have some fixed beliefs that are very firm and ingrained in deeper belief systems. Trying to get through there might be a little bit different and might require a different strategy.”

We have the same issue here below the 49th and in pretty much all parts of the world.

As the great baseball player and manager, Yogi Berra astutely stated: "It ain't over till its over."

So we will need to figure out how to get people over their hesitancy and fixed beliefs regarding vaccinations in order to truly get over Covid.

All the best.
Old 27-05-2021, 18:03   #1826

Boat: Sold the boat. Buying a van.

Sounds like there are some things happening. According to Politico:
Trudeau's own MPs demand plan for Canada-U.S. border
Quote:
Longtime Liberal MP Wayne Easter, who chairs the House of Commons finance committee, told POLITICO on Thursday that the Trudeau government must lay out a border reopening plan — and soon.
“As you get into July 1, Canada Day, and July 4, Independence Day, then those target dates are real pressure points for wanting to be normalized,” Easter, who co-chairs the Canada–U.S. Inter-Parliamentary Group, said in an interview. “The heat’s on, and I think we absolutely must have a plan.”
-------------snip----------
A senior Canadian government insider recently said official-level discussions on the border are underway and no decisions were expected in the short term. The insider also said the rules may loosen as the summer progresses.
Obviously, much depends on the infection rates, vaccinations, and politics. I personally think it would be best if US politicians kept a lower profile. I don't know much about Canadian politics, but I suspect too much pressure from DC might be counter productive.
Old 27-05-2021, 18:32   #1827

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_sailor View Post
Sounds like there are some things happening. According to Politico:
Trudeau's own MPs demand plan for Canada-U.S. border

Obviously, much depends on the infection rates, vaccinations, and politics. I personally think it would be best if US politicians kept a lower profile. I don't know much about Canadian politics, but I suspect too much pressure from DC might be counter productive.

Individual MPs have no power. This is just them looking out for their re-election.
Old 28-05-2021, 05:10   #1828

Boat: Rafiki 37

Some not-so-good-news (Globe&Mail):

Why herd immunity to COVID-19 is proving elusive – even in highly vaccinated countries

Quote:
In countries such as Chile, Seychelles and the UAE, new surges are defying predictions about how quickly COVID-19 can spread – and countries whose rates are still low are watching with concern
Herd immunity is proving frustratingly elusive, with many epidemiologists, virologists and public-health officials warning that it may come a lot later than expected – or not come at all – making summer opening plans uncertain.
Old 28-05-2021, 06:45   #1829

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

At this point in time and from my point of view, with my spouse and I being fully vaccinated, my only concern is that there is sufficient space in the local ICU to get treated in case one of us or other folks vapor lock.

With that said I fully support folks that don't want to get vaccinated for whatever reason, I don't care. Everybody should assume their own personal level of risk. Think sailing across the oceans or diving to 300 feet.

So if the ICU's aren't packed let's get our cultural exchange program and tourist trade with Canada back underway. I miss the Canadian hospitality in Montana and on Lake Superior.

“Hic sunt dracones” ("Here be dragons")
Old 28-05-2021, 07:09   #1830

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Mike, I've been following the situation in Chile with interest as they are using the same vaccine as Brazil- CoronaVac. It is a bit alarming that even with their very high vaccination rate the virus continues to spread, unlike what is occurring in countries using Pfizer/Moderna vaccines, like the US. It seems that while the CoronaVac vaccine does keep people out of hospitals, it isn't all that effective in preventing infections among vaccinated individuals (efficacy is somewhere between 50% and 70%, depending on the study you look at). I wonder if vaccinated people are also transmitting the virus, even though they may only have mild cases without severe symptoms. I suspect that Chile will have to get to a much higher percentage of the population fully vaccinated with CoronaVac before they see the number of new infections really decline.

I will get my jab in July and I'm hoping it's the Pfizer or AstraZeneca vaccine, which Brazil is also using, but still in far smaller numbers compared to CoronaVac.