Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 15-06-2021, 07:05   #1906

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Which has been shown to produce a better response in multiple studies
https://gulfnews.com/special-reports....1622803816712
all the results are still in "initial trials" stages... I didn't sign up to be in a trial!

Keeping in mind that there are nearly 800,000 of us in Ontario that are now part of this "trial" involuntarily!!!
Old 15-06-2021, 08:48   #1907

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Well, as of today BC residents can freely travel throughout the province - no restrictions - so we can now legally leave this little corner of Desolation Sound (that's barely within the boundaries of the Vancouver-Coastal health region) that we've been hiding in and embark on our planned expedition to circumnavigate Vancouver Island - except we have to be in Powell River June 22 to get our second Covid shots.

The pandemic seems to be collapsing almost as fast as it exploded in the first place. Thank you vaccines! I completely fail to understand the position or reasoning of the anti-vaxxers - and I know and respect, as human beings, several of them. They are going to ensure that this thing stays endemic instead of being wiped out and are going to slow the entire re-opening process worldwide.
Old 15-06-2021, 08:53   #1908

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Well, as of today BC residents can freely travel throughout the province - no restrictions - so we can now legally leave this little corner of Desolation Sound (that's barely within the boundaries of the Vancouver-Coastal health region) that we've been hiding in and embark on our planned expedition to circumnavigate Vancouver Island - except we have to be in Powell River June 22 to get our second Covid shots.

The pandemic seems to be collapsing almost as fast as it exploded in the first place. Thank you vaccines! I completely fail to understand the position or reasoning of the anti-vaxxers - and I know and respect, as human beings, several of them. They are going to ensure that this thing stays endemic instead of being wiped out and are going to slow the entire re-opening process worldwide.
That's great news for you! Of course the latest possible date for me to head to BC and get in some sailing was June 13. Maybe (if we all keep on track) I can make it out in September. But say hello to some sea otters for me
Old 15-06-2021, 08:57   #1909

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
That strategy is starting to bite us in Canada in the a$$. Initially we’re all getting vaccinated under the slogan “ the first shot you can get is the best shot” meaning some of us have moderna, some Pfizer, some AZ. Now we’re finding that getting a second dose of our first dose is becoming a challenge. In my region no Moderna is available for second doses, same for AZ. I have to go to Toronto to get a second AZ ( which is most annoying because we were told AZ recipients would have a choice, and right now we in reality don’t) we’re being asked to mix 2 different types of vaccines
Guess this should help:
Canada to receive 9.5M vaccine doses this week thanks to influx of Moderna shots

I also got Moderna as a first shot, so wanted to stick to the same for my second. I had no problem booking Moderna for my second dose, but I was in Ottawa.

Based on the current research, I would have been fine to take Pfizer as a second dose. But I had no problem finding a Moderna option in Ottawa. Hopefully the influx of Moderna will make it easier for you now.
Old 15-06-2021, 09:06   #1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Came across this:
(Survey of people's attitudes to re-opening by province)

I wonder how much of this is Covid related and how much is just that it's nice to be left alone to enjoy the peace and quiet of our own country. We were ALONE in Laura's Cove in Desolation Sound and it was lovely! Most summers that place looks like an IKEA parking lot to be avoided like the plague. Thank you plague!

I'm sure that the tourism and hospitality industries would like us to re-open as quickly as possible but the rest of us?

It's interesting to note that the province of "North Texas" (Alberta) is the one province where a very slim majority would like to open up - despite the fact that they have one of the worst Covid situations in the country.
Old 15-06-2021, 09:07   #1911

Quote:
That's great news for you! Of course the latest possible date for me to head to BC and get in some sailing was June 13. Maybe (if we all keep on track) I can make it out in September. But say hello to some sea otters for me
We'll have to commiserate together Mac. Newfoundland is opening up as of July 1st, but given the realities of travel, and just getting the boat ready, this is at least three weeks too late for me to launch this year.

It's 2022 for me now. But I am truly happy for those who are able to get going sooner. I'll just live vicariously through you folks for another 12 months.
Old 15-06-2021, 09:09   #1912

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Guess this should help:
Canada to receive 9.5M vaccine doses this week thanks to influx of Moderna shots

I also got Moderna as a first shot, so wanted to stick to the same for my second. I had no problem booking Moderna for my second dose, but I was in Ottawa.

Based on the current research, I would have been fine to take Pfizer as a second dose. But I had no problem finding a Moderna option in Ottawa. Hopefully the influx of Moderna will make it easier for you now.
How did you find Moderna in Ottawa? I've only been able to book an appointment (via Provincial portal) and it doesn't say which I will receive. I don't care which I end up with but I also received Morderna as shot #1.
Old 15-06-2021, 09:11   #1913

Quote:
We'll have to commiserate together Mac. Newfoundland is opening up as of July 1st, but given the realities of travel, and just getting the boat ready, this is at least three weeks too late for me to launch this year.

It's 2022 for me now. But I am truly happy for those who are able to get going sooner. I'll just live vicariously through you folks for another 12 months.
I have seriously been considering chartering something. I know, I know, what a waste of money considering I have a boat but a) it would give me the chance to try something different and b) It would make actually getting in some sea miles this summer an actual possibility. Wanna go halfises?
Old 15-06-2021, 09:12   #1914

Quote:
Will do! With pleasure!
Old 15-06-2021, 09:13   #1915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
We were ALONE in Laura's Cove in Desolation Sound and it was lovely! Most summers that place looks like an IKEA parking lot to be avoided like the plague. Thank you plague!
We were there by ourselves in mid May once. Only time I had been to Prideaux and frankly thinks its ruined it for me. I could never go back when it was stuffed full of rafted powerboats having impromptu concerts
Old 15-06-2021, 09:16   #1916

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
How did you find Moderna in Ottawa? I've only been able to book an appointment (via Provincial portal) and it doesn't say which I will receive. I don't care which I end up with but I also received Morderna as shot #1.

I went via the pharmacy path in the provincial booking tool. I was able to find quite a lot of available options. This was more than a week ago, so maybe things have changed, but it was no problem booking my second shot for within a few days.
Old 15-06-2021, 09:20   #1917

Quote:
I went via the pharmacy path in the provincial booking tool. I was able to find quite a lot of available options. This was more than a week ago, so maybe things have changed, but it was no problem booking my second shot for within a few days.
Thanks.

When I get into the tool I do not get presented with that option. Possibly because my first shot was not via a pharmacy.

Cheers.
Old 15-06-2021, 09:23   #1918

Quote:
I have seriously been considering chartering something. I know, I know, what a waste of money considering I have a boat but a) it would give me the chance to try something different and b) It would make actually getting in some sea miles this summer an actual possibility. Wanna go halfises?
It's a tempting thought, but I don't think our meagre budget could manage it. Are you thinking west coast? ... no, no,... don't tell me. I don't want to know. (fingers in ears) LALALALALALALA.

I think it's going to be another motorcycle summer for me and she. Still not a bad way to spend the warm months. And who knows, we might even get up your way (Edmonton) if we can find a house sit possibility.
Old 15-06-2021, 09:31   #1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Thanks.

When I get into the tool I do not get presented with that option. Possibly because my first shot was not via a pharmacy.
Neither was mine. I got my first shot at a provincial site.

When you go through the first booking page it takes you to this second page where you can choose to book,
A. through the provincial online system, or
B. through a participating pharmacy.
If you click B you then get asked to give your postal code, and then it presents pharmacies in your area. Each pharmacy is different, but I was able to find Moderna without much trouble at a Walmart pharmacy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	335.4 KB
ID:	240408  
Old 15-06-2021, 09:42   #1920

Quote:
Neither was mine. I got my first shot at a provincial site.

When you go through the first booking page it takes you to this second page where you can choose to book,
A. through the provincial online system, or
B. through a participating pharmacy.
If you click B you then get asked to give your postal code, and then it presents pharmacies in your area. Each pharmacy is different, but I was able to find Moderna without much trouble at a Walmart pharmacy.
Thanks Mike.

Go figure, even my portal (https://covid19.ontariohealth.ca/) doesn't look like that!

It's no big deal, I was originally scheduled to get shot 2 in early August and now I'm early July. I can sit and wait my turn.

Appreciate the help though!