Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 15-06-2021, 18:24   #1936

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
REVERSE SNOBBERY & UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES

WaPo ran a story the other day about how the covidiots who refuse are getting sicker than those who don't, by US State.

Do I see some Darwin Award winners down the road?
Old 15-06-2021, 20:31   #1937

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
To be fair to the article rather than the headline, it is a correlation not a cause. There are a number of factors that are discussed in the article why the correlation is as it is - access to vaccine, history, job situations, political leanings as some. It also talks about what I'll call validation, ie, those who believe the messenger rather than the logic in a message. Like Stu I'm a bit perplexed by the hesitancy and the need to bribe people but .... if it works, why not. Unfortunately a huge number of people think about themselves and not about society as a whole. And it's not just Alberta ... perhaps a higher proportion there than in BC but there will still be a significant number in all provinces imo.
Yes, quite right. Clearly there are a whole lot of confounding factors here. I guess the point is that the clearest single indicator is education levels. But as we know, this is the result of many other socio-economic factors.

And yes, most definitely not just an Alberta thing. Manitoba is also facing a significant "hesitant" population. And Ontario, where I was residing these past few months, also has its challenges.

That said, Alberta remains in top spot in their number of hesitant and complete anti folk. According to the latest Angus Reid survey:
  • AB has 15% anti and 13% hesitant.
  • SK comes in second at 11% and 11%.
  • MB is a close third at 11% and 9%.
  • QC is more split, with 12% anti, but only 4% hesitant.
  • BC shows 9% anti and 5% hesitant.
  • ON is close behind at 8% and 6%.
  • And of course the winners are the Atlantic provinces at 6% anti and 5% hesitant.
  • Nationally our numbers are 10% anti and 6% hesitant.
What's great though is that these numbers keep falling. Angus Reid has been doing these polls multiple times, and each one shows a decline in these numbers across the board; even in Alberta .
Old 16-06-2021, 10:49   #1938

Quote:
What is the matter with people who need to be bribed because of a PUBLIC health hazard?

Unless they have a personal health issue that they can prove, they oughta be...

Sheez, the stupidity.
California distributing $116 million among people who get COVID shots

California is giving away the country's largest pot of vaccine prize money — $116.5 million — in an attempt to get millions more inoculated before the most populous state fully reopens next month.

Governor Gavin Newsom on Thursday announced the prizes, which include $1.5 million each for 10 Californians, the largest single award offered in any state.

The goal is to motivate roughly 12 million people who are eligible but not yet vaccinated, though the more than 20 million Californians already partially or fully vaccinated also are in the running for the most valuable prizes. The state will give $50 gift cards either for general use or for specific grocery stores to the next 2 million people who get shots.

Well at least it isn't like the Hunger Games lottery.

Old 16-06-2021, 10:57   #1939

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
...announced the prizes, which include $1.5 million each for 10 Californians, the largest single award offered in any state.

I've never understood the concept of having only ONE huge prize. Always felt that dozens if not hundreds of smaller prizes, all still pretty much HEFTY sums in their own right, would be more attractive to anyone "playing the game."

1 chance in 10 billion to win vs. 100 chances in a million seems more favorable rates to me.

[Please don't rag on the math, it's the concept...]
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 16-06-2021, 11:14   #1940

California's fiscal budget surplus for 2021 - 22 is now projected to be $75 billion versus last summer's COVID impacted $54 billion deficit.

$116 million is comparatively paltry sum for encouraging people to be promptly vaccinated with the pay back being a stable and reopened economy.
Old 16-06-2021, 11:33   #1941

Quote:
I've never understood the concept of having only ONE huge prize. Always felt that dozens if not hundreds of smaller prizes, all still pretty much HEFTY sums in their own right, would be more attractive to anyone "playing the game."

1 chance in 10 billion to win vs. 100 chances in a million seems more favorable rates to me.
Yes ... if you understand statistics and odds. But as that psychology expert on gambling that I quoted notes, some vaccine hesitant people simply don't understand risk and statistics. So they also don't understand your basic point. They just focus on the top-line message: YOU COULD WIN BIG!!!

It's why lotteries, and gambling in general, are known as idiot taxes. It's also why few people approach insurance rationally. People focus on the top-line message: You Could Lose Big! But they don't factor in the actual odds of such a loss happening.
Old 17-06-2021, 02:27   #1942

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:

[Please don't rag on the math, it's the concept...]
It is the concept. Either of the two odds you gave easily go in the category of extremely unlikely, but the big guy up above just might favor me. So they both are attractive. Just like big Lotto payouts are. What you put on the table for a lotto is minuscule, what you might win is big time. So its attractive too. The stats are irrelevant.
Old 17-06-2021, 05:20   #1943

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yes, quite right. Clearly there are a whole lot of confounding factors here. I guess the point is that the clearest single indicator is education levels. But as we know, this is the result of many other socio-economic factors.

And yes, most definitely not just an Alberta thing. Manitoba is also facing a significant "hesitant" population. And Ontario, where I was residing these past few months, also has its challenges.

That said, Alberta remains in top spot in their number of hesitant and complete anti folk. According to the latest Angus Reid survey:
  • AB has 15% anti and 13% hesitant.
  • SK comes in second at 11% and 11%.
  • MB is a close third at 11% and 9%.
  • QC is more split, with 12% anti, but only 4% hesitant.
  • BC shows 9% anti and 5% hesitant.
  • ON is close behind at 8% and 6%.
  • And of course the winners are the Atlantic provinces at 6% anti and 5% hesitant.
  • Nationally our numbers are 10% anti and 6% hesitant.
What's great though is that these numbers keep falling. Angus Reid has been doing these polls multiple times, and each one shows a decline in these numbers across the board; even in Alberta .

Manitoba resistance is fueled mostly by Mennonite distrust of any government.
Germany tried to force them into the army, they left for Western Russia.
Russia tried to get them involved in wars/revolution, they left for Canada/Central America.
Some have denied that Covid existed, until they died from it, just as in North Dakota.
A few that have gotten Covid and recovered are convincing their relatives to get vaccinated, a slow process.
Old 17-06-2021, 07:05   #1944

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Son View Post
Manitoba resistance is fueled mostly by Mennonite distrust of any government.
Germany tried to force them into the army, they left for Western Russia.
Russia tried to get them involved in wars/revolution, they left for Canada/Central America.
I've heard this as well. There are many marginalized groups in our society which are rightly suspicious of government actions. This is why I support a pragmatic approach to reaching the honestly hesitant amongst the hold out groups.

There are some true believers who have made anti-vaccination a part of their personal identity. They will never be convinced. But there are many who can be reached through targeted messaging, incentives, threats and honest discussion.
Old 17-06-2021, 10:22   #1945

A white millionaire Canadian couple who took a private jet to get COVID-19 vaccines meant for indigenous people were only fined $1,900

Rodney and Ekaterina Baker flew to a small Yukon territory community in January to get vaccinated.

The couple put locals - including many First Nation members - at risk by not quarantining.

They pleaded guilty to breaking public-health rules and were fined US$1,900.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...?ocid=msedgntp
Old 17-06-2021, 10:28   #1946

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
A white millionaire Canadian couple who took a private jet to get COVID-19 vaccines meant for indigenous people were only fined $1,900

Rodney and Ekaterina Baker flew to a small Yukon territory community in January to get vaccinated.

The couple put locals - including many First Nation members - at risk by not quarantining.

They pleaded guilty to breaking public-health rules and were fined US$1,900.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...?ocid=msedgntp

Yes, that's the logic of our Canadian Government. The same government that initially made the fine for not complying with staying at a quarantine hotel LESS than the cost of going to the hotel and then they were surprised that travelers were opting to pay the fine instead!
Old 17-06-2021, 11:04   #1947

Boat: Columbia 29 & Saber

I did not intend to post on this, I just jumped to the last page to see what was being said and now I feel I have to put in my two cents.

Why do you care if other people are getting vaccinated?

As of today anyone who wants the vaccine has received it, at least in the US I assume the same for Canada. Follow my logic, If you are concerned about dying I'm sure you have already take the vaccine meaning you are safe. Should someone choose not to take the vaccine that is their choice, and they will have to deal with the consequences. All of our lives are about risk assessment, and while are are free to give an opinion it is up to each individual to choose for themself.

As my father has told me often, "Keep you nose out of other people's business."

Lastly, just because someone does not see the world the same as you does not make them ignorant or stupid. If everyone thought the same way how boring would this world be?
Old 17-06-2021, 11:13   #1948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartok View Post
I did not intend to post on this, I just jumped to the last page to see what was being said and now I feel I have to put in my two cents.
Vartok, this is a thread about Canadian Covid-19 news. You just want to share your opinion about the vaccines, with no particular relevance to the Canadian perspective. So, I suggest you move your post over to this other general thread where there is plenty of ranting going on:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3428150

Leave this to Canadian-relevant news and info. Thanks.
Old 17-06-2021, 11:15   #1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartok View Post
As of today anyone who wants the vaccine has received it, at least in the US I assume the same for Canada.

You know what they say about assumptions right?

You are incorrect about Canada and your ignorance doesn't end there.

Please, if you want to post about non-Canadian COVID-19 News, do it somewhere else.

Cheers.
Old 17-06-2021, 11:26   #1950

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Yes, that's the logic of our Canadian Government. The same government that initially made the fine for not complying with staying at a quarantine hotel LESS than the cost of going to the hotel and then they were surprised that travelers were opting to pay the fine instead!
You do realize the Canadian Government doesn't control the courts or their judgements (and thank god for that!). I agree its a bit of a travesty but blaming it on the current gov't is a bit disingenuous.

In other news...

I just got back from the gym which reopened today. Masks are mandatory entering and exiting and in the locker room but optional during your workout. Very strange policy imho.

I have also heard rumours that Alberta (the gov't) will drop the mask mandate as soon as we reach our current goals (which is looking like the beginning of July) but that the City of Edmonton is not planning on relaxing municipal rules. Given my last two trips to the grocery store included encounters with people already flouting the mask rules (seriously... you can't wait 2 frickin' weeks?) — I wonder what kind of chaos we are headed for as the post-vaccine covid world evolves.