Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 17-06-2021, 11:37   #1951

Boat: Columbia 29 & Saber
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Vartok, this is a thread about Canadian Covid-19 news. You just want to share your opinion about the vaccines, with no particular relevance to the Canadian perspective. So, I suggest you move your post over to this other general thread where there is plenty of ranting going on:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3428150

Leave this to Canadian-relevant news and info. Thanks.

Interesting, then I shall follow my own advice and take my nose out of your business.

Fair winds.
Old 17-06-2021, 11:41   #1952

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartok View Post
Interesting, then I shall follow my own advice and take my nose out of your business.

Fair winds.

Much appreciate it .
Old 17-06-2021, 11:50   #1953

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
You do realize the Canadian Government doesn't control the courts or their judgements (and thank god for that!). I agree its a bit of a travesty but blaming it on the current gov't is a bit disingenuous.
Yes I realize that the Govt doesn't control the courts (they already tried that) The current govt wrote the laws (temporary or not) with the fines. Judges take their queues from those laws. If the govt had really been serious about quarantine's they would have set the fines for not complying to be high enough such that compliance made sense financially. Very similar to knowing that going 16km or less over the speed limit gets you a speeding ticket, but one that does not include points (the real penalty) and the accompanying pain of increased insurance premiums.
Old 17-06-2021, 13:53   #1954

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Fines are always wholly inadequate for persons of wealth imo. And it certainly doesn't account for the outrage felt by people using their wealth in such a callous manner to jump a queue. Hopefully the job loss actually meant something and that there has been an actual cost to notoriety.
Old 17-06-2021, 14:08   #1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
Fines are always wholly inadequate for persons of wealth imo. And it certainly doesn't account for the outrage felt by people using their wealth in such a callous manner to jump a queue. Hopefully the job loss actually meant something and that there has been an actual cost to notoriety.
Agreed. Punitive fines like this are pretty useless as a deterrent when the impact is so proportionally minimal. A fine based on proportion of wealth might do it, but that would be hard to administer.

In this case, a sentence that included significant community work time would have been more appropriate. Have the convicts work off their debt to the society they harmed through actual community labour. That would probably have a greater impact on everyone (both positive and negative).
Old 17-06-2021, 14:58   #1956

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
They will forever be recognized as the flaky rich couple who brazenly jumped the queue for vaccines. Rodney and Ekaterina Baker, if you're keeping track. That's probably a significant penalty by itself, in Canada anyway.
Old 17-06-2021, 15:55   #1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
They will forever be recognized as the flaky rich couple who brazenly jumped the queue for vaccines. Rodney and Ekaterina Baker, if you're keeping track. That's probably a significant penalty by itself, in Canada anyway.
Yes, but did they say they were Sorry, Eh? Just asking the Canadians.
Old 17-06-2021, 16:00   #1958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Yes, but did they say they were Sorry, Eh? Just asking the Canadians.

They pled guilty, donated $10k to the community, and apologized, so that was like a beauty apology, eh?
Old 17-06-2021, 16:14   #1959

Right you are, Lake. With that judgment hanging over him as evidence of his "uprightness", how likely is it that Baker will ever again find a senior management position where integrity is (at least nominally) required. Not that he needs one, of course.

The AG on whose watch Baker was appointed and under whose oversight the GCGC (nominally) operates, even with regard to the qualifications and moral fitness of senior management, has had, and is having, his own sleepless nights over matters of ethics. The current AG would like to know how it came to be that on his predecessor's watch enormous sums deriving from the drug trade were laundered through such organizations as the one Baker headed.

D'ye recall the time when selling two dollar tickets for the Irish Sweepstakes to yer office mates was a criminal offense in this 'ere colony :-)?

I suspect that these ancient German words of wisdom apply to Baker's little excursion: "Wenn der Schwanz steht, stecht der Kopf in der Erde!"

TP
Old 17-06-2021, 20:27   #1960

Big news:

First phase of vaccine certification going live in July for travellers entering Canada

Quote:
the federal government plans to roll out next month the first phase of its vaccine certification program for travellers entering the country, CBC News has confirmed.

Starting in early July, a new feature on the ArriveCan app will go live, according to a federal government source with direct knowledge.

The app will allow travellers to take a photo or upload a snapshot of their vaccine documentation into the app before going through customs, the source said. CBC is not identifying the source, who was not authorized to speak publicly on the matter
Old 17-06-2021, 20:45   #1961

Does that include Albertans and Manitobans?

:smit ten:
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 18-06-2021, 05:58   #1962

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

From the article:

The Toronto Star reported Thursday that this phase — which would allow Canadians to digitally verify their vaccination status with the federal government — won't be ready until the fall and will only accept proof of vaccination with one of Canada's four accredited vaccines: Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Johnson and Johnson.

This is good news and a step in the right direction. I think Canada's hotel quarantine requirement for returning Canadians by air was not really based on science. One could fly to a US border town and take a taxi across the border without having to do the hotel quarantine.

It seems that returning Canadians are only considered "vaccinated" if they have taken one of the vaccines approved for use in Canada. This complicates things for a lot of Canadians living and working abroad who lined up to take whatever vaccine was available (often WHO approved) and now find they are not considered "vaccinated" upon entering Canada. It's not like you can get re-vaccinated with an approved vaccine to fix this and I imagine one will have to wait a year or more before getting the next round of (booster) shots- perhaps with one of the approved vaccines. I was really hoping to see some international cooperation with respect to vaccination status where countries would recognize vaccinations carried out in other countries, even if it's with a vaccine not in use at home.

Article that discusses the predicament of Canadians abroad:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/vaccin...ated-1.6064933

I get my jab on Saturday. I find myself in a position where I have to refuse any vaccine not approved in Canada to ensure I can freely travel back and forth. If I'm offered AZ or Pfizer, I'll take it.
Old 18-06-2021, 07:07   #1963

One of the UK’s top public health experts has warned MPs the reproduction “R” rate of the Delta coronavirus variant could be as high as 7 without any mitigation. R is the average number of people each COVID-positive person goes on to infect. An R of 7 would theoretically mean every 10 people with the virus would infect 70 other people.

The Delta variant is thought to be 60% more transmissible than the previously dominant Alpha variant, first identified in Kent.

The Alpha variant was found to be 70% more infectious than the original strain of the virus.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/indian-va...172540264.html
Old 18-06-2021, 08:33   #1964

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...says-1.5476103

End of July for border reopening... possibly... maybe.
Old 18-06-2021, 09:13   #1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
This is good news and a step in the right direction. I think Canada's hotel quarantine requirement for returning Canadians by air was not really based on science. One could fly to a US border town and take a taxi across the border without having to do the hotel quarantine.
Yup, never made any scientific sense. It was, and still is, a purely punitive measure aimed at discouraging travel. Bad policy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
It seems that returning Canadians are only considered "vaccinated" if they have taken one of the vaccines approved for use in Canada. This complicates things for a lot of Canadians living and working abroad who lined up to take whatever vaccine was available (often WHO approved) and now find they are not considered "vaccinated" upon entering Canada.
Yes, I think this is a poor approach. Seems to me that any WHO-approved vaccine should qualify. Lets hope they expand the list to include these.